Polishing Borranis

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Enrique Landa

Polishing Borranis

Post by Enrique Landa »

Quick question. I used a wheel cleaning product on my Borranis that dulled them. This actually is common, beware most products will dull your wheels. I now need to polish them, do any of you have suggestions on what to use on them? I used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it improved the situation, but I think there may be something better... Suggestions?

Thanks,

Enrique Landa
horner

Post by horner »

All you wheel mavens, please correct me if need be; On our 1966 330 GT #8325 I think that the spokes are chrome, so I use non-abrasive chrome polish. I think that the wheel "rims" are magnesium, so you may need a mag wheel cleaner. BUT, first I'd call someone on Tom's list of suppliers that specializes in these wheels, or contact someone like Dayton Wire Wheel.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

For wire wheels, the spokes are either chromed, or stainless steel. The rims are aluminum, and should be polished with aluminum polish, or buffed with a buffing wheel.

For solid wheels, I think they're magnesium, or aluminum, but they're sometimes painted. Treat them accordingly.

Tom
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Tom's right -- if your wheels are original, the hub and spokes are chromed steel and the rim is polished aluminum alloy. If the wheels have been rebuilt by one of the "modern" rebuilders, your spokes will be stainless. Not all wheel cleaning products will attack your laboriously polished alloy rims. Ones that WILL, will almost always say "not for use on polished aluminum" prominently on the label. Ones that say, "safe for use on all wheels" are just that. If you goof and must re-polish the alloy, I've had good results with Mother's polish. It comes in a small tub and is a creamy consistency. And if your finger joints aren't up to ten hours of tedious polishing, ten measley bucks spent on a small buffing wheel driven by something as simple as a drill motor will really speed the process on the large surfaces. Worst thing you can do? Use one of the "unsafe" cleaners on hot wire wheels. Guess how I know?