Newbie question: Fans don't work

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Newbie question: Fans don't work

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I noted after driving the car to Costco to get a pizza (helluva deal, BTW) that my thermostatic fans don't work. Assuming that it's not the fans (and I'll apply 12V to them to check their function), how do you work around the sensor in the intake that allows current to flow to them ie: how would I test a new fuse, or cleaned up fuse contacts, etc without bringing the car to operating temp and activating that switch? Thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Re: Newbie question: Fans don't work

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

Are there two wires or one wire going to the sensor? The one's I've worked on have two wires, and complete the connection between the two wires when the sensor reaches the correct temperature. You should have 12 volts coming from one of the wires with the ignition on. Connecting the two wires should complete the circuit to activate the fans. Check your wiring diagram to keep from shorting anything out.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

There are two wires and I was about to try that and ran out of courage. I'll let you know. The fans are not at fault. thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hi Steve,

Mr. Tom is absolutly correct you can do nothing wrong with the ignition swith on
a lot of cars have an relay placed between sensor and fan ( 250gt sensor(thermostatic )in the water metaltube)
to give maximal voltage to the electric fan. so check this relay when necessarry

ciao
Cornelis
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, I completed the circuit by putting those two wires together and the fans work. How do I prove that it's the thermocouple and not the cleanup I did on the fuse setup with the car cold? If I ground the thermocouple and apply 12V to the other terminal and it does or doesn't work, will that prove it conclusively, or do I need to drive the car to get it warmed up enough to activate the t-couple?

If it is the thermocouple, it looks like it needs an SAE socket (1-1/8, I think) as 30mm seemed to big. Anyone know? Also, good source for this? Used in any other apps but Ferrari? I think it'll come out without the dreadful job of pulling the radiator. thanx s
steve meltzer,
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hi Steve, simply let the car idle in front of the gerage it will work in about 10 min, DONT drive.
ortherwise take it out the THERMOCOUPLE and put it in a pan with boiling water at about 90 degrees celcius it will work
connect a little lamp with 12volt on the two connections,
the first version is more simple.
i hope its not freesing yet at your place!, than it take MUCH more time

ciao
Cornelis
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Danke. s
steve meltzer,
whturner

Post by whturner »

Steve:

Assuming your GTC is the same as my 330 - there is the temperature sensor and (in my case) a LUCAS!!! relay to check.
I hope it is the former, as I am pretty sure the same sensor is used in a number of cars. If the relay is bad, the hot water test still will not turn the fans on. But with a test light or Voltmeter you can still determine if the sensor is OK.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Lucked out again...cleaning (thoroughly) the fuse and its receptacle must have done the trick, 'cause at idle, as suggested by Cornellis, the fans
work fine. Whew! thanx s
steve meltzer,