Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Size matters!

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
TOMKIZER

Re: Horn Detailing

Post by TOMKIZER »

This whole thing reminds me of the FANATICISM of the Science Fiction Fandom that arose in the golden age of science fiction, with the fanzines and the conventions. The only differences are: It's Ferraris instead of space ships, it's chat rooms instead of fanzines, and it's concours instead of sci-fi conventions. I never thought that, after retirement, I would be worrying about minutia such as horn trumpet length, steering wheel wood thickness, heater hose surface texture, air horn compressor date codes, and Cheney vs Copiglia hose clamps - It creates in me, a great deal of ANGST.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I have a friend who spent years restoring an Austin Healy BN100. The car was the best in the West and won many top awardsand, and at the end sold for a record price. One day a spectator says to him, hey aren't your front fenders mismatched? I guess Austin Healys come with two differnt size front wheel openings so it's clear to see the wider gaps between the tops of the tires and the fender arches in some models.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

TOMKIZER wrote:This whole thing reminds me of the FANATICISM of the Science Fiction Fandom that arose in the golden age of science fiction, with the fanzines and the conventions. The only differences are: It's Ferraris instead of space ships, it's chat rooms instead of fanzines, and it's concours instead of sci-fi conventions. I never thought that, after retirement, I would be worrying about minutia such as horn trumpet length, steering wheel wood thickness, heater hose surface texture, air horn compressor date codes, and Cheney vs Copiglia hose clamps - It creates in me, a great deal of ANGST.

Tom Kizer
If it causes you angst, then just drive the car! There are a lot of different ways to enjoy these cars, so make sure whatever you do, it's all about fun. I always say, if it's not fun, then don't do it!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Tom, the ANGST was a joke - Cheney, Copiglia, ANGST??? No angst, just a lot of fun. The sound, smell, touch, and beauty of these beasts fits perfectly into the receptors of my brain's pleasure center.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Still sounds like ANGST to me. German word, by the way. When one resorts
to a foreign language, all cannot be well.
Anguish is the English version.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

This is approximate at best, but the length of the green line imposed on both horns is the same. It suggests the upper horn being the longer.

john

PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

John Vardanian wrote:This is approximate at best, but the length of the green line imposed on both horns is the same. It suggests the upper horn being the longer. john
Definitely long trumpet on top based on close up. Interesting slanted, early bracket.....tends to put the flares very close together. Have we got a photo of the casting marks on the flare ends and photo of the base Road Master plaques? Did you clean up and reuse the red plastic tubing or purchase new? I also see you have the fancy, tapered jam nuts holding the trumpets in tune. Later jam nuts were plain and covered by plastic chrome covers.

I believe these first used, FIAMM, plastic chrome plated trumpet jam nut covers were used for a short period, maybe 1966 thru 1969. Anybody have a source for these covers? i need a pair.
Craig
Attachments
TrumpetNutCovers3.jpg
TrumpetNutCovers3.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 11796 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

TOMKIZER wrote:Tom, the ANGST was a joke - Cheney, Copiglia, ANGST??? No angst, just a lot of fun. The sound, smell, touch, and beauty of these beasts fits perfectly into the receptors of my brain's pleasure center.
Tom Kizer
Hi Tom,

I'm glad you're enjoying this process and having fun!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom K,

Hope these answer your questions. The red tubes will be replaced too. I will post some finished pictures later.

john

PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Tom K,Hope these answer your questions. The red tubes will be replaced too. I will post some finished pictures later.john
John, do we see stampings on these trumpet badges? If so can we see closer? thanks Craig
Attachments
IMG_1718stamps.jpg
IMG_1718stamps.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 11728 times
carello

Post by carello »

Just another data point of some importance, as it appears to show pretty clearly a "8J". The badge in itself shows no TP.AR. numbers following, so to me, this is another indication of an early badge. Since the machine screws are painted, the paint probably has been refreshed. My records so far indicate 8 as the first year noted for serie 2000 MC/1 compressor use. Do we have any other 1957-1977 Ferrari that can have their Fiamm compressors photographed? thank you
Craig
Attachments
69S1Espada_Fiamm_8J.JPG
69S1Espada_Fiamm_8J.JPG (170.39 KiB) Viewed 11723 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

carello wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Hi Tom K,Hope these answer your questions. The red tubes will be replaced too. I will post some finished pictures later.john
John, do we see stampings on these trumpet badges? If so can we see closer? thanks Craig

Hi Craig,

The number "312" is stamped on both of the plaques. It must be how they paired them for tune.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Craig,

I just wanted to say that I will take pictures of horn compressors when I have access to them, but right now, we don't have any to photograph. I post them when I take them!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Why buy Fiamm when Sears will do?
Attachments
ReduceDSCN1691.jpg
ReduceDSCN1691.jpg (233.41 KiB) Viewed 11597 times
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II