Horn Detailing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

carello

Re: Horn Detailing

Post by carello »

Yes, here it is: (sorry for the poor picture.. not much light available in the garage right now, and the flash just washed it out worse)
Not too bad after I lightened it. thank you. If you get a chance more photos would be good. If you ever pull ithe sytem out, we would want good photos of all.
This particular era Fiamm (1965-1969), with the black label, is stamped in this location. The stamping is very difficult to read and 99% of owners will never realize it even exists.
thanks
Craig
Attachments
ComparePlates.JPG
ComparePlates.JPG (96.23 KiB) Viewed 13049 times
Josh_611a.jpg
Josh_611a.jpg (83.65 KiB) Viewed 13049 times
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ok class… So what have we learned today? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Ok, based upon this thread I would suggest that a pre-1965 Fiamm Horn should:

1. Be red. One idea is to paint the horn dull silver, then two or three coats of Tamiya TS-74 Clear Red spray paint. Seal with a light coat of clear coat followed by a heavy coat.
2. Have a red Roadmaster plaque on the bottom that is riveted on with an 8 point star pattern head.
3. Have a silver painted base.
4. Have a number stamped on the plaque if very early 1960’s
5. Have the stamp E3 if from the early 1970's.

A pre-1965(?) Fiamm Roadmaster Horn Compressor should:

1. Have a Green plastic oil filler cap that says OLIO (or often 0170) for European Spec and a red plastic cap that says OIL (or often 710) for American Spec.
2. Have a clear cadmium coated bracket with the word Fiamm stamped on it.
3. Have a natural Black bakalite base cap.
4. Have a wrinkle finish center portion.
5. Have a Black “Sad Face” ID plate with a “freshness stamp” indicating a manufacture date before the Pininfarina manufacture date of your car, with the first digit representing the year in the 1962 it was made and the second and third digit representing the month.
6. Be filled with light machine oil or pneumatic tool oil.
7. Be cleaned before photographing.

The hose should:

1. Be red
2. Have an inside diameter of 7.0 mm
3. Have and outside diameter of 10.75 mm
4. Be connected with a red barb fitting with an outside diameter of 9.4 mm.

What else do we know? It seems like after all this discussion we should consolidate what we have learned and add it to the “Ferrari Restoration Tips” section on the home page for others to use.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I like number seven.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
carello

Post by carello »

Just some more data on serie 2000 later model Fiamm. I would have thought the end caps were all the same for a given era, but i have my doubts based on the following photos. Blue NOS trumpets set compared to candy red trumpet set, both in the E3 era. Plastic cap marking not exact same either. It would be nice to have more details on the trumpets sets that accompany the earlier compressors...ie the cast numbers in the flare, the exact length of each bare trumpet, the type of nut used to secure to trumpet head, whether a chrome plastic trim piece is present and what size/length, bracket dimension to mount completed trumpet, nut/washer type and size.
Also same information for compressors. Photo, length, diameter, bracket, color, wire size and color

We only have a small amount of data on this thread for Fiamm and it makes us all pretty dangerous as Fiamm consultants. :-)

I would encourage more details from the folks who have this interest. I want to expand my own knowledge!
Craig
Attachments
compareBlue2000ToRed2000E3.jpg
compareBlue2000ToRed2000E3.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 12942 times
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Are we all Fiammous now? Lights, camera...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
carello

Post by carello »

Just some more detail, if you choose to service the compressor. The air filter system is not real sophisticated, so an occasional service (once every 10 years) might be a good idea. Here is the view with the top off an 8D compressor.
Attachments
FiammCapOff7339b.JPG
FiammCapOff7339b.JPG (136.92 KiB) Viewed 12955 times
carello

Post by carello »

Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:Are we all Fiammous now? Lights, camera...Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 40011966 330 GT s/n 8705
LOL, I think so! Get those cameras out and photo every Fiammous thing you see.
Craig
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

This thread is both informative and entertaining - I really enjoy it.
Question - Is Fiamm in any way related to the Maserati brand of airhorns?

And of course the most important question : which model Fiamm plays Dixie?
Mike
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I like number seven.
Funny, I thought you would be all over the Compressor, #1...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Normally yes, but it has to in a readable fashion first.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
carello

Post by carello »

Just another data point - some nice photos on Jon Brent's website of Fiamm pieces probably good to include here for reference
with more detail at -
http://www.jb330gt.com/WhatWorks.htm
The September 65 330GT appears to have a 501 stemped onthe compressor ID plate, but maybe i am just seeing what i want to see?
Unfortunately there is no side view of the compressor or trumpets, but maybe others have more photos of such.
Craig
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Just to add confusion, those blue horns on my 365 GT 2+2 had these plastic covers - another variation. The photo was taken before I cleaned them up and repainted the trumpets.
Tom Kizer
Attachments
Horn Head 1.jpg
Horn Head 1.jpg (76.47 KiB) Viewed 12771 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
carello

Post by carello »

TOMKIZER wrote:Just to add confusion, those blue horns on my 365 GT 2+2 had these plastic covers - another variation. The photo was taken before I cleaned them up and repainted the trumpets.
Tom Kizer
Hi Tom, It doesnt seem confusing at all. These are very early serie 2000 trumpets according to my research and were introduced in 1969. We need a photo of the compressor top please. The blue trumpets were shown on the standard boxes of that early era as well, and may well be how the new series was introduced. I thought you had posted a picture of these trumpets, but i cant find it.

thanks
Craig
Attachments
box8373_1.jpg
box8373_1.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 12727 times
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

carello wrote:I thought you had posted a picture of these trumpets, but i cant find it.

thanks
Craig
They're at the bottom of the first page of this thread.

Thanks for the response about the blue trumpets. I was worried that my horns were "incorrect". My car is in storage (it's -15 C outside with about 4 feet of snow), so I can't photograph the horn compressor until I get down to the storage unit in a few days.

Does anyone have details about the plastic open-bottom "can" that is supposed to cover the compressor?

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hello. If you're like me you like things better apart than together. Crazy, I know. I wonder if you'd help me out with a few questions:

1. Has anyone found a close match for the little domed (slotted) machine screws in hardware type stores or do I need to fuss with re-plating these? I'd settle for stainless steel.

2. Same question as #1 but on the pair of acorn nuts that hold the Bakelite cap onto the bottom of the compressor barrel.

3.The four sets of large fasteners that hold the compressor and the trumpet bracket to the engine bay, what are these? Lobo? What is their finish?

4.The trumpet bracket, should this be plated or hammer toned?

5. How polished (shiny) are you supposed to have the trumpets before applying the translucent red paint?

Thank you in advance.

john

PF Coupe