Horn Detailing

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Re: Horn Detailing

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Craig. Sorry I looked and have no pictures that would verify the type of paint under the plaque, nor do I have any recollection.

The paint I put on the trumpets is called Dupli-Color, Model MC200.

john
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

John Vardanian wrote:Hi Craig, A good way to remove the plaque is to overheat the cap gently. The epoxy holding the plaque has a hardened chewing gum consistency that tends to soften with heat. If you don't have a narrow putty knife, make one from a butter knife. Don't use a razor blade becasue the plaque is thin and you might damage it. john
John, the pieces for the compressor body and trumpet bases are nicely stripped. What process did you use for this? Any tips?

How did you heat the top cap to soften the adhesive? Oven? Propane? electric heat gun?

Please advise us on what silver and black paint and technique you use for the horn pieces.
Craig
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Craig,

I used Jasco paint remover, then a light blow in the blaster. Paint and primer stick like crazy glue to freshly blasted surfaces. The armature and the exciter need to come out of the compressor. A tight wrinkle finish requires heat and personally wouldn't subject 50 year old shellac to heat or dust. I’d use orange oil (or the like) to clean the armature and the exciter. Orange oil is not really so much oil in that it doesn’t leave oily residue. It’s more of a cleaner but it’s a gentle cleaner.

The gray hammer tone paint came from Orchard Supply Hardware and unlike the wrinkle paint, there is no fuss with applying it.

To remove the plaque heat it from the underside on a burner at a mild simmer setting then it’s feel and go.

Question: how do you guys substitute the washer that is under the compressor cap?

john
PF Coupe
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

John - I tried babelfish.com but couldn't come up with a translation for armature and exciter. Which parts are these?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom,

Sorry. The rotating part is the armature and the excitation field is the coil of wires around the armature. If you look at my picture on Page 6 of the exploded horn assembly you'll see them in the lower left.

john
PF Coupe
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Got it. Thanks! I am certainly learning more about horns than I ever thought I would.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom Wilson wrote:Got it. Thanks! I am certainly learning more about horns than I ever thought I would.

Well, on the other hand, some might read this thread and think "boy, these guys need to get a life". :wink:
PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

John,

I see your point! I have been accused of spending too much
time on this site. "Oh, so you're back on that Ferrari site
again already"?, is the common venacular. Hey, it's what
I enjoy doing, so be it.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

The fun lies in the details. Anybody can buy an old car and run it as it is. Researching the history and making everything right is what makes this a hobby and a fun one at that. My business partner thinks I am over the top with this hobby, but then I ask him about his wine collection...
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

carello wrote: Hi Tom, It doesnt seem confusing at all. These are very early serie 2000 trumpets according to my research and were introduced in 1969. We need a photo of the compressor top please. The blue trumpets were shown on the standard boxes of that early era as well, and may well be how the new series was introduced. I thought you had posted a picture of these trumpets, but i cant find it.
thanks
Craig
I finally got to the storage unit. Here is the photo of the compressor top on the 69 365 GT 2+2 to go with the horn tops I posted. Note there is no number stamped but there is a "scribed" OK on the compressor label.
I don't understand anything anymore.
Tom Kizer
Attachments
Horn Compressor.JPG
Horn Compressor.JPG (59.66 KiB) Viewed 11258 times
Horn Compressor 2.JPG
Horn Compressor 2.JPG (124.71 KiB) Viewed 11258 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
carello

Post by carello »

TOMKIZER wrote:I finally got to the storage unit. Here is the photo of the compressor top on the 69 365 GT 2+2 to go with the horn tops I posted. Note there is no number stamped but there is a "scribed" OK on the compressor label. I don't understand anything anymore.Tom Kizer
Hi Tom, i don't think you have gotten close enough to this stamping to be sure. I think the zero is the bottom of an 8 stamp and the K maybe sumpthin else. The digit appears too small for a digit stamped in the 1968+ era.

Please see my photo for my thoughts on this
Craig
Attachments
Serie2000Stamping1.JPG
Serie2000Stamping1.JPG (103.26 KiB) Viewed 11209 times
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

carello wrote:
TOMKIZER wrote:I finally got to the storage unit. Here is the photo of the compressor top on the 69 365 GT 2+2 to go with the horn tops I posted. Note there is no number stamped but there is a "scribed" OK on the compressor label. I don't understand anything anymore.Tom Kizer
Hi Tom, i don't think you have gotten close enough to this stamping to be sure. I think the zero is the bottom of an 8 stamp and the K maybe sumpthin else. The digit appears too small for a digit stamped in the 1968+ era.

Please see my photo for my thoughts on this
Craig
I'm inclined to agree that it's an 8 instead of an "o", and I can see where the staff of the "k" , or whatever it is, has removed some of the paint of the "p" in the word depositato. However, because of the roughness and irregularity of the characters, I'm still of the opinion that they are scribed instead of stamped.

A further examination will have to wait for me to get back to the storage facility and take some better photos, perhaps with some side-lighting to enhance the contrast in the "scribed or stamped" letters.

I'll come back and post the final answer eventually.

By the way, the close-up photos make me realize why the judges of FC2008 concours took off 1 1/2 points for the engine compartment. I apparently couldnt see the "trees" because of the beauty of the "forest". From two or three feet away, my engine compartment is beautiful, but up close, these scratches and paint abrasions become like a pimple on the end of one's nose. They are all that one sees.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
carello

Post by carello »

Here is more data to consider in horn details. This came from the extensive 246 restoration by OMGJON.
Notice-
1) position of 2 character stamping, sort of randomly too close to edge.
2) additional data text 597-598 617-634 , which i would expect as the MC/1 progressed from 1968 thru to 1973+
3) 3M seems reasonable for a 1973 246 Dino.
4) 710 still apparent
Has anybody had opportunity to get close ups of other compressor tops? It is also nice to record what trumpets accompany the compressor as well.
Craig
Attachments
OMGjon73Dino_3966.jpg
OMGjon73Dino_3966.jpg (103.06 KiB) Viewed 11115 times
carello

Post by carello »

Fabbrica Italiana Accumulatori Motocarri Montecchio SpA , est 1942
FIAMM
History - FIAMM Group, a family owned enterprise, was created in 1942, serving the Italian government with the production of Electric Utility Vehicles. FIAMM Group is headquartered in Montecchio Maggiore, Italy, about 40 Km south west of Venice, and about 240 Km east of Milano.
more at http://www.miuraworkshop.com/FiammRoadmasterHorn.html

I am trying to put the Fiamm graphic information together in a sensible manner and i have a start. I am not real happy with my format, so it will stay under construction for a while. The goal is to have a good understanding of FIAMM air horns from 1950-1990.
i would like compressor top photos with clear stampings from everyone. Tom Yang Chat is a great website for this sharing.
Tom, can you provide more detail photos or info on the two compressors at this thread start?
thank you all for help on this
Craig
Attachments
1968ad.jpg
1968ad.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 11041 times
carello

Post by carello »

TOMKIZER wrote:I finally got to the storage unit. Here is the photo of the compressor top on the 69 365 GT 2+2 to go with the horn tops I posted. Note there is no number stamped but there is a "scribed" OK on the compressor label.I don't understand anything anymore.Tom Kizer
Tom Kizer, i would like a better photo of this compressor top without a shadow please and clarification on the stamping.

Here are a couple of FIAMM serie "2000" compressor tags 1971 and 1973 to compare for your info.
thank you
please more photos from other FIAMM owners
Craig
Attachments
TomKizerFIAMMComp.JPG
TomKizerFIAMMComp.JPG (59.66 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
1973_TagDino.jpg
1973_TagDino.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
1971Espada8696.jpg
1971Espada8696.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 11013 times