"New Post" Icon

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jim

"New Post" Icon

Post by Jim »

Ever since the recent software upgrade for this website went into effect, a trouble has persisted: The circular icon at the beginning of each string, red when a new post exists, and black when no new post exists, seems not to work. To wit, the icon remains red even after I have entered the string. Thus, when I come back to the web site at a later time, I can't discern which strings have new entries. I'm using a Mac with Safari browser, and It's the same on both my laptop and desktop. Can someone help? Thanks,
Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
mikewegener

Re: "New Post" Icon

Post by mikewegener »

Jim - I was having the same problems myself. It is with our Safari browser. I downloaded the newest version of the Mozilla Firefox browser and it was like having a new internet. No more Safari for me. The other big improvement is going to a PC type mouse. Again functions will be revealed that before did not exist with the Apple hardware. I recommend the Logitech mouse mouse that is wireless and has a little sender that goes into one of your USB ports on the computer.
Now you can easily download pictures, scroll FAST and forget about the batteries should you be using the apple wireless mouse. Big improvement in my world.
Hope this helps
Mike
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Um....I really liked it when things were simpler. Every time
its like fixing the Hubble telescope. Even browser names
come from the encyclopedia Britanica. Old format was fine
by me.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 33o GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rudy,

Trust me, I live by the moto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," just ask my wife. She thinks the look of the rest of this website "looks sooo 1999!" The new forum format has some features that make managing it a little better, and I think being able to post pictures directly to the website is a plus.

I'm also glad to hear Mike and Jim are using Macs. Firefox is the way to go, otherwise a much better machine and company.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Hi Tom,

I guess it's like modern cars, great features, so complex.
I like the way your wife thinks, by the way...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Jim

Post by Jim »

Well, I've switched to Mozilla, and I already am using the wireless Logitech mouse, but, the problem persists. Help.
Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Have you checked your settings? Maybe something like hiding your online status would cause this problem. That or the way you choose to have topics displayed. I am using Google Chrome and it is working fine.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
josh

Post by josh »

I did some googling.. this doesn't seem to be a common problem.. I haven't encountered it myself, but I am using firefox these days.

I'll keep an eye out though, if I hear about a fix for what you're seeing, we'll install it.

Sorry for the frustrating problem..

--Josh
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

Jim wrote:Well, I've switched to Mozilla, and I already am using the wireless Logitech mouse, but, the problem persists. Help.
Jim
Jim - I am sorry to hear that. I am not a computer expert by any means and most of my remedies are by trial and error. One other thing that I do is to close my browser (firefox), wait a couple of minutes and shut down the computer. Wait another 5 minutes and start it up again. When my desktop appears I will open Firefox and go directly to Google to search for the place that previously gave me trouble. That way I have a fresh link and usually that solves all problems. I noticed the "fresh link approach" is often needed when going to secure websites.
To me it always feels as if the World Wide Web and the mighty Mac are really not that compatible.
Then again maybe it is even worse for PC guys. I wouldn't know.
Good Luck
Mike
Jim

Post by Jim »

Well,
Rebooting seemed to help a little-a few of the icons would go black after I opened and closed the string, but many wouldn't budge. Perplexing at first. Then..........Aha!: If a string has more than one page, the last page has to be opened before the icon will go black. Tada!
Ps. I like Mozilla Firefox. Donka.
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567