PAINT 2

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Sloper

PAINT 2

Post by Sloper »

Got just a similar "problem" like "mdempsey" - as my America`s mechanical overhaul was completed about 3 years ago, and now (fingers crossed) she is a perfect and reliable runner, I am thinking about getting some work done on it`s exterior - even I like the current dark blue very much, it is not original, as the built-sheet (and the register, thank you 330GT ;-) ) states, it was delivered in "bianco".
So, any suggestions on putting her back into her original colour, and anybody able to describe the correct "white" ??? Is there any RAL-number on that? BTW, pretty sure, the WEBASTO sunroof on its top is also not original, so tending to get rid of this - what are your thoughts???

Thank you! Sloper
Yale

Re: PAINT 2

Post by Yale »

Keep the sunroof, as I'm sure it was a period installation and pretty rare. As for color, have you seen what Marcel posted over at Ferrarichat:

Even though it's Scaglietti and not PF, still very cool.

Y.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Bianco is pretty basic white. My GTE was originally Bianco, but has since been painted silver. However, the dash was not painted, so I have a sample to match when it comes time to paint. I can post a photo, but white is hard to photograph. It changes with the light and your screen.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

The color can be tracked down through Ferrari, and paint matching is a fine art these days. Admiral Phillips matched the blue on the Mondial by using the painted areas under the switch bezels on the dash - areas that were never exposed to the sun or any cleaners. You should have some similar "virgin" areas when you remove the trim in preparation for painting.

My 365 has a period sunroof, and even though Marcel has probably proven that it is not original, I want to keep it. It makes the car special for me, and it is really useful as well.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Is it wise to paint the car white and have it get lost in the Alps?? My Aunt and Uncle lived in Vienna for 12 years. I went twice. Once for 3 weeks when I was 15. I think Austria is the most beautiful country there is. I love schnitzel. Made some just last night and had the leftovers tonight. Do you have a good spaetzle recipe??? Never made it but it cant be hard!!

PS I am still conflicted over the paint. I wake up every day with a different plan. Time to make a decision now!!
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Sloper,

I think I mention this somewhere, might have been Fchat. Anyway,my car was stripped to metal when it was only eight years old and repainted a different color. All along I was going by hearsay that the original color was silver gray (argento). But last year when the rear window came down the entire surround had the original paint still. It turned out the original color was a much darker, gunmetal like silver. Anyway, long story short, this is one place you can look if you are inclined to take down the windows.

john
PF Coupe
Sloper

Post by Sloper »

...just came back from cold Alaska, however, glad to be able to enjoy Wiener Schnitzels again (nice story, mdempsey!!) Just before leaving, I finally decided to start the repainting project, with my America already stripped down now - so, another few weeks to decide about the final colour - but quite sure to stick to the original "bianco" - sunroof has already disappeared (no spares and not really a professional work as it was "installed"); the only items still missing are the original head- and foglamps (got Lusso-styled ones installed, most probably, when she was running in U.K. in earlier times, with Lucas-foglights....) Any idea, where to get original ones???
Thank you, Sloper
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

mdempsey wrote:Do you have a good spaetzle recipe??? Never made it but it cant be hard!!
That's easy for you to say !!! I got hooked on spaetzle, and also wurst salat, when I lived in KÖLN in 1979. I've tried many recipes for spaetzle, but have never succeeding in getting it "just right". The closest I got was when I bought some dehydrated spaetzle in a specialty food store and just boiled it like spaghetti. It was close but not perfect.
Good Luck !

Why don't you paint your queen Grigio Ortello, like mine. With your black leather, it will look like the one in the original Ferrari Brochure. At least, I think that one is Grigio Ortello.
Tom Kizer
Attachments
67_365_GT_2_2.jpg
67_365_GT_2_2.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 8890 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

FYI My paint plans are off. I found a 1990 Corvette ZR1 with 12000 miles that I can buy for the same price.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Also I did try a few spaetzle recipes. I made it three days in a row. I am getting fatter by the minute. I love food.
Sloper

Post by Sloper »

Got the info about the original colour now, directly from Ferrari: It´s Bianco 20414A It.! Quite easy to find out: There´s a nice page: www.ferrariowners.com; just register, put in some numbers, and you`ll get the original colour scheme.... BTW...5035`s already stripped to bare metal, very few corrosion found, sunroof has disappeared (was not a real professional work sometimes in the 60`s) - and.... planning to get her on the road again latest may!However, still missing the original headlight bezels!
Sloper
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Sloper,

Here is a pair of NOS Series 1 trim rings: http://cgi.ebay.com/Satz-Scheinwerferch ... 240%3A1318

Good luck,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
Yale

Post by Yale »

Wow, I love those. Too bad they are 499 euros. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo