RMI-25 radiator fluid

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

365gtc/4

RMI-25 radiator fluid

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I have a C4. Any of you guys have experience with a product called RMI-25 with cars such as Daytonas, 275s, GTEs etc? It is not an anti-freeze but is apparently great as a corrosion inhibitor. It is manufactured by a company Radiator Masters in Saccramento, CA.
In any case any recommendations on radiator fluid. I live in a hot area so anti-corrosion is the most important thing but sometimes it can get just below freezing so some anti-freeze ability would be necessary.
Thanks
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
tyang

Re: RMI-25 radiator fluid

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

The biggest problem we see is the not changing the coolant. You can test the coolant, but we try to change the coolant at least once every two years if not sooner. For $20 bucks of anti-freeze, it's not a bad thing to do.

There are a couple of "water less" coolants available, but I have not done any real tests with it. It sounds good, but if you don't have a problem with your cooling system, why change things?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom is correct, why change things IF they work right. Last year I changed my antifreeze to the new "extended life" 150,000 mile Prestone antifreeze. And after a few weeks I noticed a few weeps and drips from around the engine. After investigating I noticed the fluid thickness of the "new" stuff was much thinner than the regular green/yellow standard antifreeze. Going back to Autozone and trying to buy the old stuff I was told the major suppliers are phasing out of the green/yellow fluid because of some enviromental or federal laws. And yes he related there are reports of more leakage with the new fluid in older cars that do not have gasket materials compatable with the new extended life antifreeze. So I stocked up on a few extra gallons of the old green/yellow fluid. BTW, I like to keep a 60-70% mix in the system to keep the anti rust additives high. Jim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jim,

GREAT. First it lead in the fuel, then it was Zinc in the oil, now they're taking away our anti freeze! What is a Vintage Car owner to do!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Tom, in addition to your list "they" have ditched even more needed materials from our reach: R-22, R-12, 250W lube, old spark plug numbers, 15 and 16 inch tires in the full profile, good carb cleaners, paint remover that works, etc. The list seems to be growing longer by the day. We either stock up or work around it somehow! Jim
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Loved the smell of 105 Octane in the morning...miss that.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jim,

Luckily, I've found repalcements for some of these issues.

R-12: R134a can be retrofitted with decent results. Have to use ester oil for the lubricant.

250W lube: Penrite still supplies this stuff. Like a lot of specialty things for old cars, they all come mail order. Pep Boys stocks nothing for us!

15 and 16 inch tires in the full profile: Companies like Vresdestein and Blockley are filling the need, and with their popularity, perhaps the bigger tire manufacturers will follow suit.

I see now you can buy zinc additive for you oil.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... I didn't realize RMI25 was made locally but I have used it and liked what it did in a couple of cars. It required 24 hour running time to do its job. It cleaned a bunch of junk out of the cooling system when I flushed it after the appropriate time. Haven't used it in the Ferrari though. Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

I just noticed that Moss Motors (the MG guys) carries the zinc additives in their latest catalog. Any other places with good prices? Jim