Road Trip!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

AndrewW-G

Re: Road Trip!

Post by AndrewW-G »

davidoloan wrote:Looks like Gordon Brown's following along too!
Give him a couple of hours and I'm sure he'll mess it up then bail Tom out for billions :D
400 "30897" " Mondial "45461" & lots of other peoples toys at work
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

I met with Tom and Tom at Timo's shop yesterday. Timo was a generous and accomodating host with very interesting and diverse cars in his shop.
Tom Budinger's 365 looks so elegant with its dark blue paint and gray interior and seems to be a fine runner too.
In spite of rain and a snowy drive home it was a great afternoon.
Mike W.
tyang

Post by tyang »

WE MADE IT!!!

Over 750 miles of driving, pretty good weather, and the car never missed a beat. She didn't even burn more than a pint of oil!

Here's a quick synopsis:
Wed. Balitimore to picked up my 330 America Heads from Baltimore headworks
Wed. Evening, attended a get together at Radcliffe Motorcars and talked about the spring event with Richard Garre
Thursday am flew out to Phoenix from BWI
Thursday pm met Tom B and car at Harley Cluxton's shop, drinks with Jim Riff at hotel
Wednesday am met Bob Wallace at his engine shop, shoved off for LA
Wed. pm arrived in LA met Tom W for drinks
Thursday am attended FCA SW Board Meeting, shoved off for SF
6 hours later, arrived safely and psyched!

More to come!

Tom

Thanks to everyone who came out to meet us, and those that signed up to twitter, but it's not over. I still have a couple more people to call in the Bay Area, and Patrick Otis' shop to visit on Monday.
'63 330 America #5053
carello

Post by carello »

tyang wrote:Here's a quick synopsis:
Wed. Balitimore to picked up my 330 America Heads from Baltimore headworks
Wed. Evening, attended a get together at Radcliffe Motorcars and talked about the spring event with Richard Garre
Thursday am flew out to Phoenix from BWI
Thursday pm met Tom B and car at Harley Cluxton's shop, drinks with Jim Riff at hotel
Wednesday am met Bob Wallace at his engine shop, shoved off for LA
Wed. pm arrived in LA met Tom W for drinks
Thursday am attended FCA SW Board Meeting, shoved off for SF
6 hours later, arrived safely and psyched!Tom
Hey, after drinks with Jim Riff your day of week seems to be hazy. Congrats on a safe journey! Get some sleep.
:D
Craig
Attachments
random pick 365 2+2 dashboard
random pick 365 2+2 dashboard
2849779_27.jpg (55.91 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Tom Bravo! Please post pictures, by the way it was great to see you at Richard Garres wonderful shop, sure ma looking forward to your May Gathering! M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
tyang

Post by tyang »

First post of a picture at Harley Cluxton's shop before setting off:
Attachments
DSCN3032_sml.jpg
DSCN3032_sml.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Here's the interior. It's light gray. A great color combination.
Attachments
DSCN3054_sml.jpg
DSCN3054_sml.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 9593 times
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Chicken Fried Steaks in the high desert of California!
Attachments
DSCN3063_sml.jpg
DSCN3063_sml.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 9499 times
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Much easier to cross the mountains with a Ferrari than what the Donner Party used.
Attachments
DSCN3064_sml.jpg
DSCN3064_sml.jpg (37.17 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
'63 330 America #5053
dick sands

Post by dick sands »

Tom, did I see Tom Budinger's Queen in Johannes Huwyler's shop in San Mateo, Ca, on Friday, 3-6-09. I happened to be there to show off my Queen's engine compartment, that my son Daniel rebuilt, to Johannes. I didn't get the name of the owner, but it was a very nice Queen. Dick Sands
dick sands, 365gt 2+2
tyang

Post by tyang »

dick sands wrote:Tom, did I see Tom Budinger's Queen in Johannes Huwyler's shop in San Mateo, Ca, on Friday, 3-6-09. I happened to be there to show off my Queen's engine compartment, that my son Daniel rebuilt, to Johannes. I didn't get the name of the owner, but it was a very nice Queen. Dick Sands
Hi Dick,

Yes, that was Tom Budinger's car. He's getting new mufflers installed.

Although I didn't write about it, I met Johannes during my quick visit to the SF area.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
365 GT 2+2

Post by 365 GT 2+2 »

Hey Dick - Not sure when you were at Johannes' shop but I was there mid-morning and probably just missed you. It would be great to meet you and to see your car. I hope to be a shop-rat if Johannes will let me on Tuesday and watch him finish installing the Ansa exhaust system. Are you free Tuesday afternoon?
In the meantime, who are the other Queen owners on the West Coast? I know we've got Knudsen and now Dick - that's three in the Bay Area alone...anyoe else? Maybe a meeting of the Queens is in order (and any other model, too) :D
365 GT 2+2

Post by 365 GT 2+2 »

P.S. Johannes has some cool cars at his shop including a 365 GTC/4 that arrived on a trailer from the paint shop as I was pulling up. It is the same color as my Queen - a dark blue. It's a gorgeous color on the C/4 as the black front bumper nicely fades into the dark blue. And I was there when they fired it up. I need to find a way to bottle the C/4 note up...it's amazing. If only those rear seats were a bit bigger...For those who haven't met Johannes - he's got a very professional clean shop with a wide ranging list of cars undergoing various stages of work. And he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet. Very service oriented (as are his two guys at the shop).
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

In Craig's (CARELLO'S) Feb 15 post on thIS thread, Craig posted a photo of a 365 GT 2+2 interior. Craig, is it yours?

For anyone who's interested:
I noticed that the ignition key plastic "surround" is missing. They are easy to make if anyone needs one.

Just find a can of black high gloss spray paint with NO SYMBOLS OR TEXT ON THE PLASTIC CAP. Remove the cap and carefully cut away everything that doesn't look like the key surround. Since the inside cylinder of the cap is about 1mm too small to fit over the key housing, you need to cut the plastic shorter and shorter a little at a time to fit the hole and still fit inside the hole in the wood and up against the key housing. I used double sided tape to attach the "surround" to the wood dash. It's impossible to tell the difference from original once installed. See my photo. I've shown the finished piece against a similar yellow cap so you can see the same point of view of the part before and after.

Tom Kizer
Picture 088.jpg
Picture 088.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 9293 times
Key Surround.jpg
Key Surround.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 9294 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
dick sands

Post by dick sands »

Tom, Id like to meet you, we could compare exhaust sounds(I've got a new Stebro system installed). Tuesday I'm working at home but I can break and we can talk. I live at 1486 Edgewood Road, Redwood City, you can come east on 95 to 280 south about two miles to the Edgewood Road turn off and then I"m 2 miles down on the left side, opposite the LDS church parking lot. It would by great if you could come by. Dick Sands
dick sands, 365gt 2+2