Road Trip!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Road Trip!

Post by tyang »

Hello All,

A future Vintage Ferrari owner is buying a Queen Mother in Phoenix and asked me to join him in driving the car from Phoenix to San Francisco, a 750 mile trip. With 15 degree temps here in NY, I can't think of a better diversion. Sure, there are risks with an old Ferrari, but if we make it, think of the stories we'll tell our grand children! :)

We could head toward Vegas, and head north from there, or take I-10 to LA and I-5 towards SF. Maybe we could meet some LA Ferrari guys for lunch?

We're in the early stages of planning this trip and it will probably happen in a couple weeks. I'm open to ideas!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Re: Road Trip!

Post by TOMKIZER »

Tom,
Go for it. It'll be a piece of cake. I drove mine 1500 miles during the week of FCA2008 with no problems, mostly in the rain. Mark Dempsey drove his even farther with his wife and daughter and about 20 pieces of luggage (mostly his daughter's) to and from the same event. He was even smiling in the arrival photo. Just take a real (not a Ferrari) tool kit and plenty of water, for both you and the car.
Have fun and good luck.
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I'm confident a Queen is the perfect car for a long distance drive. Mark Dempsey and I had a pleasant trip to Palm Beach from MD in his 365. The unknown is in a newly purchased car with unknown history, but that's part of the adventure!

I think/hope it'll be a fun trip!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Timo

Post by Timo »

Tom,
if Your journey were to take You on I-10 towards L.A. through Riverside/San Bernardino area, I'd be honored to host lunch or dinner for You guys and of course my shop would be available, complimentary, for any potential, but hopefully not required, pit-stop needs.
Timo
tyang

Post by tyang »

Timo wrote:Tom,
if Your journey were to take You on I-10 towards L.A. through Riverside/San Bernardino area, I'd be honored to host lunch or dinner for You guys and of course my shop would be available, complimentary, for any potential, but hopefully not required, pit-stop needs.
Hi Timo,

Lunch and a shop visit sounds great. Let me work out logistics, and see if it will work out. If a Ferrari leaves from Phoenix, traveling at 75mph...

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
william

Post by william »

Hey Tom,

If you guys head through Indiana let me know.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
carello

Post by carello »

tyang wrote:Hello All,A future Vintage Ferrari owner is buying a Queen Mother in Phoenix and asked me to join him in driving the car from Phoenix to San Francisco, a 750 mile trip. I'm open to ideas!Tom
Tom, You might want to plan a Phoenix visit to -
GT Car Parts
Bill Young and Dave DiBernardo
516 West Lone Cactus Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85027-2912
Ph 623-780-2200
Fx 623-780-1200
Bill Young - BY@GTCP.com
Dave DiBernardo - DD@GTCP.com

have fun
Craig
Timo

Post by Timo »

tyang wrote:
Timo wrote:Tom,
Hi Timo,

Lunch and a shop visit sounds great. Let me work out logistics, and see if it will work out. If a Ferrari leaves from Phoenix, traveling at 75mph...

Tom
... team will probably make it to Riverside in plenty of time before the meal is served ?
Timo
carello

Post by carello »

tyang wrote:Hello All,A future Vintage Ferrari owner is buying a Queen Mother in Phoenix and asked me to join him in driving the car from Phoenix to San Francisco, a 750 mile trip. I'm open to ideas!Tom
Tom, You also might want to plan a Phoenix visit to -
Bob Wallace at Bob Wallace Cars
2302 E Magnolia St
Phoenix, AZ 85034
(602) 275-2543

call Bob prior to visit for best results,
Craig
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the suggestion, but is Bob Wallace the kind of guy that would allow a couple of punters in his shop for a visit?

Tom
carello wrote:
Tom, You also might want to plan a Phoenix visit to -
Bob Wallace at Bob Wallace Cars
2302 E Magnolia St
Phoenix, AZ 85034
(602) 275-2543

call Bob prior to visit for best results,
Craig
'63 330 America #5053
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

The first Saturday morning of the month there is a cars and coffee in Scottsdale at Doubletree and Scottsdale road. There is a fair chance the car has already been to it. Here is a link to one of the past events.
http://desert-motors.com/cpg/thumbnails ... 183&page=1

Is this the car you are picking up?
http://desert-motors.com/cpg/displayima ... 183&pos=61

If you need any help in the Phoenix area, let me know.

Cheers Jim
klv

Post by klv »

I'm jealous Tom!

I'm flying home to Aus in about a week's time to pack up the Alfa and 365 and load them into a container to ship over to the UK, so I guess they will be doing a long sea trip over the next couple of months, rather than a road trip... I'll have to get a quick drive in before they are packed up though!
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Jim,

Thanks. If the schedule permits, maybe we'll go.

It's a different car. The new owner will come forward with pics as soon as the title is in hand. I don't want to jinx the deal!

Tom
330Jim wrote:The first Saturday morning of the month there is a cars and coffee in Scottsdale at Doubletree and Scottsdale road. There is a fair chance the car has already been to it. Here is a link to one of the past events.
http://desert-motors.com/cpg/thumbnails ... 183&page=1

Is this the car you are picking up?
http://desert-motors.com/cpg/displayima ... 183&pos=61

If you need any help in the Phoenix area, let me know.

Cheers Jim
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Just name the date and an L.A. gathering will be arranged. Rudy? Chuck? Tom S.? Waddya say?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
perry911113

Post by perry911113 »

tyang wrote:Hello All,

A future Vintage Ferrari owner is buying a Queen Mother in Phoenix and asked me to join him in driving the car from Phoenix to San Francisco, a 750 mile trip. With 15 degree temps here in NY, I can't think of a better diversion. Sure, there are risks with an old Ferrari, but if we make it, think of the stories we'll tell our grand children! :)

We could head toward Vegas, and head north from there, or take I-10 to LA and I-5 towards SF. Maybe we could meet some LA Ferrari guys for lunch?

We're in the early stages of planning this trip and it will probably happen in a couple weeks. I'm open to ideas!

Tom
Tom.
That sounds like a fantastic opportunity. The new owner certainly has the right guy riding with him. Ohh I can just hear the sound of the Queen's motor singing away across the countryside.
Enjoy!
Peter
1972 911T Coupe
1965 230SL Light Ivory
1959 MGA driver
1960 MGA project
1971 Caprice
1970 280SE Coupe
1975 Maserati Bora gone and greatly missed
1964 Morgan 4/4GT
1969 Ferrari 365GT 2+2 12223 SOLD