Road Trip!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Re: Road Trip!

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom W.,

Thanks for the offer! We'll know more in a couple days, but it looks like we'll be able to pick up the car late next week. I'm torn between driving the car during the week to avoid traffic, or doing it during the weekend so we can meet up with some people that might otherwise be busy.

Tom
Tom Wilson wrote:Just name the date and an L.A. gathering will be arranged. Rudy? Chuck? Tom S.? Waddya say?
'63 330 America #5053
josh

Post by josh »

I am so jealous! Have a great time!
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
tyang

Post by tyang »

O.K. Here's the rough plan:

Fly to Phoenix on Friday the 13th.(Who's superstitious?)

Pick up car from Harley Cluxton's shop, see if I can arrange to see Bob Wallace's shop, and maybe try to finally meet Jim Riff in the flesh.

Head to LA on I-10.

Meet LA Ferrari guys that are available for dinner on Friday night at location TBA (Tom Wilson?)

Stay in LA for the night. Maybe park the 365 at someone's house for safe parking and stay in Motel overnight.

Saturday morning, bomb up,..er drive up the 5 to SF.

See if anyone in the SF area wants to get together for Dinner Saturday night, Sunday, or whatever.

Stop by Patrick Otis' shop on Monday morning (Still need to call him to see if it's O.K.)

Fly home Monday afternoon.

Anybody want to meet up?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Fly to Phoenix, see a shop, drive to LA, meet the gang all in one day while in the wrong time zone? Sounds like a big day. However, I am up for the meeting in LA part. By the way, I am impressed that your wife will let you out of the house on Valentines day. My wife would kill me, or at least make me wish she did...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

If anyone has followed me around during the Monterey weekend, they know my motto is "Sleep when I get home!"

Luckily, my wife will be out in Houston visiting family, so I'm in the clear! I wouldn't have dared do this in any other circumstance.

I'm looking forward to dinner. Name a place, and Ferrari willing, we'll be there. Anyone else?

Timo, want to come in to LA for dinner?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Timo

Post by Timo »

Well Tom,
unless some body makes a better one, I'd still like to offer You that dinner here in Riverside and be happy to extend the welcome to all other Yangsters who wants to join us. Among the benefits to You would be quite convenient, easily accessible location along Your route without having deal with Friday traffic of L.A., reasonably priced lodging, access for secure overnight storage of the car in my humble, but clean shop with complimentary shuttle service to-and-from any local lodging/culinary facility and of course, really great food.
BTW L.A./O.C. guys, Riverside is NOT other side of the world, but perhaps more "democratic" distance for each of You.
Timo
Timo
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Riverside? Thats out near Blythe or Needles....Right?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Come on Chuck, Rudy...I've made my pitch for West L.A. Back me up here, ok?
Timo

Post by Timo »

Tom Wilson wrote:Riverside? Thats out near Blythe or Needles....Right?
...and not only would You be able to avoid heavy late-Friday traffic, but to further illustrate the reasonability of Riverside as final destination for the Friday portion of Your journey, You'd arrive earlier, after what by that time might be already a very long day and it would give You more options regarding Saturday, i.e. whether to drive through L.A. with lighter traffic (and perhaps hook-up, for perhaps late breakfast or early lunch, with guys who may not care or have time to come Friday ?) or avoid it altogether by going around it.
Obviously, my offer stems from our previous encounter in Your neck-of-the -woods year ago and the fact that I haven't been able to make it to any of Your gatherings, but it also would allow me to show You (and anyone else who cares to join us) my shop facilities, which I suspect, would interest at least You, Tom.
Timo

P.S. And if, for ANY reason, You're not able accept my offer, I will not hold it against You.
Timo
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Timo,

You make a good sell! If it were totally up to me, I would serious consider avoiding LA traffic, but the owner of the 365 has some people he would like to meet as well. We're trying to find a good compromise and perhaps collect some like minded individuals to break some bread together.

I just booked my flight out to Phoenix, and I'll be arriving a day early (Thursday evening), so there may still be time to stop by in Riverside on the way into the mouth of the beast if we don't stay on the east side all together!

Stay tuned!

Tom
Timo wrote:
Tom Wilson wrote:Riverside? Thats out near Blythe or Needles....Right?
...and not only would You be able to avoid heavy late-Friday traffic, but to further illustrate the reasonability of Riverside as final destination for the Friday portion of Your journey, You'd arrive earlier, after what by that time might be already a very long day and it would give You more options regarding Saturday, i.e. whether to drive through L.A. with lighter traffic (and perhaps hook-up, for perhaps late breakfast or early lunch, with guys who may not care or have time to come Friday ?) or avoid it altogether by going around it.
Obviously, my offer stems from our previous encounter in Your neck-of-the -woods year ago and the fact that I haven't been able to make it to any of Your gatherings, but it also would allow me to show You (and anyone else who cares to join us) my shop facilities, which I suspect, would interest at least You, Tom.
Timo

P.S. And if, for ANY reason, You're not able accept my offer, I will not hold it against You.
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom - After the LA mess, are you rolling up the 5 or the 101? 5 is an hour or so faster to San Francisco, but the 101 is way more interesting and fun in a Ferrari. It is not just a question of time and view, but will determine which side of town we should meet at, be it Friday night for dinner or Saturday for breakfast.

And Timo - The shop tour is tempting...
mikewegener

Post by mikewegener »

Hi Tom
I would love to meet you and also get to have a chance to see what Timo is working on.
I live in Apple Valley, about 1 hour from Riverside and 3 hours away from west LA on a Friday night.
Anything is OK with me though as I will just plan my day accordingly.
Mike Wegener
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

It might have to be a two stop strategy; Riverside first, maybe stay overnight, meet some guys for Breakfast early o'clock before heading up the 5. We'll have to see how far into LA we will want to venture. I know Rudy can tell us what it's like to break down on a California freeway, but I'd like not to make it a personal experience!

The 101 is more scenic, but I might have to get the owner home for Valentine's day! We'll know more today as some of the LA guys let us know where and when they'd like to meet.

I too would like to meet up Mike!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

tyang wrote:Saturday morning, bomb up,..er drive up the 5 to SF.

Stop by Patrick Otis' shop on Monday morning (Still need to call him to see if it's O.K.)

...Tom
You should talk to Otis about the Saturday lunch. About 15-20 car guys all go to a nearby Chinese place and talk cars for an hour or two.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Timo

Post by Timo »

Tom and everybody,
as I mentioned earlier, I'd be honored to host a small gathering at my humble shop to any and all who cares to join, but would like to get some advance notice for possible turn-out to make restaurant reservations and other small preparations.
Unfortunately, I don't have many "F" cars in the shop at the moment, just couple of Daytonas, of which one or both may or may not be done and gone by Friday, weather and schedules permitting. Therefor, if anyone besides the "guest of honors" in the Queen wanted to show up in theirs, it would be even better.
And if anyone from L.A./O.C. wanted to get here before becoming stuck in the afternoon traffic, that would be fine by me.
Timo
Timo