330 power window problem

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

330 power window problem

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Still plugging away on the malfunctioning (actually, dead) PWs on both sides...collateral damage I guess. I've obtained motors (early '60s T-bird!) and tested it with the car's wiring and switch (I'm just on the driver's side now)...works fine. However, when mounted, it will work 4-5 times, then blow the fuse. Motor doesn't feel hot. Wiring must be right, I would think, or it wouldn't work at all. Any thoughts here? thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Re: 330 power window problem

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, it may be possible that the Ford motors draw a little more current than the originals as they were designed to lift a heavier and larger glass. Measure the currrent with a good meter and choose a fuse size that will handle it. Also, be sure the fuse holder and their connections are not heating up due to age, etc. Jim
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Jim, thanx for the idea! I'll let you know. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Jim, I put in a 25A fuse (didn't have anything between that and the 15A). It worked great several times and I was all smiles, praising you to the heavens, when it just quit working. Didn't blow the fuse and no sound of the motor working. Trying the car's untouched wiring on another, known to be good motor, would only spin that second motor one way. I pulled the first motor and confirmed that it works well in both directions (when hooked to the battery) but when reconnected to the wiring (as it had been) it would now also only spin one way. I'm confused as hell, and the other side (R), which had previously spun the unmounted test motor, won't spin at all. Any ideas before I torch this mess? thanx steve
steve meltzer,
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, First did you check the total current draw of the motor? Next it sounds like it might be the switch that must make and reverse the connections to run thr motor. If one of the contacts is not making connection the motor will not run correctly. Note the switch makes and reverses the current to the motors windings. So, be sure the connections ( all of them), are not getting hot.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Between what 2 points do I put my VOA meter to measure the current flow? (Sorry, I know it's a rookie question). I'll check the switch for contact. thanx again for helping me along. s
steve meltzer,
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, when motor is in the car, just remove the fuse and attach the meter leads one on each of the fuse terminals. This places the meter in series with the motor and will read the current draw. Be sure the meter is on a high enough amp scale to measure that current. If the meter reads neagative reverse the meter connection leads. To measure the motor out of the car, just place the meter in series with the positive battery connection. It still sounds like a switch and or a connection problem.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I got it. thanx so much. s
steve meltzer,