Can there be a more miserable task?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Re: Can there be a more miserable task?

Post by tyang »

Steve Meltzer wrote:OK, I was gonna post about 13 pictures, but each one of them is bigger than the allowable 256Kb. Not sure what to do about that especially since I'm geeky, but not a geek. s
Hi Steve,

The pictures most digital cameras take these days are too big in size for posting on the web. Depending on which computer platform you use, or what kind of picture editor you use, you need to resize them to make them a smaller file. The best analogy is digital cameras take all their pictures as if you're going to view them at 20X24 inch format, but computer monitors only need a picture that is about 5X7 inches. What you do in a picture editing software is resize this huge file the camera took, and make it smaller (something like 300X400 pixels at 72dpi), saving this new file as [image]xx.jpg I usually use the original file name adding "_sml" to the end of it so I know it's the smaller image size.

If all this sounds like Greek...or Chinese, I'll try speaking slower. :)

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Keith Milne wrote:John - I had to do this on the passenger side a few years ago. I'll admit, it was one of the more frustrating tasks! I found out the hard way that I had cut the wire about two inches to short and everything would bind up or fall off the wheel and kink, etc. etc. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact length, because it was a trial/error kind of thing, but if you are binding up when raising the window, lengthen the cable by at least 3 inches. I also found it MUCH easier to use a more flexible stainless cable rather than the fairly stiff original stuff.
BTW - Delrin is waiting for you.

Keith

Hi Keith,

You are right. The right length is very critical. It wouldn't have to be if the stupid Italians were smart enough to ride one of the five pullies on a tensioner or at least give it a meaningful adjustment.

From the Pictures I got from Steve (thanks Steve) the later cars have more of an adjustment alowing for a little inaccuracy in cutting a length of cable.

Sorry about the Delrin. I'll come by sometime.

john
PF Coupe
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

John, Once you do get this sorted, a suggestion for lubricationg the metal cable. Try powdered graphite in a small squeeze tube with fine nozzle (you can probably buy it packaged this way in a good hardware store). Spray a very small amount (it does not take much, just a dusting) of graphite along the cable, holding a cloth under the cable to contain the graphite from going all over (important). You can even it out along and around the cable with your finger - but don't touch anything after and stay away from the leather!!! Whereas any type of white grease will eventually gather up grit and contaminants over time, the graphite will not. Tried it on an Alfa window cable long time ago. Worked smooth as silk. Chris
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Good point Chris. The porosity of the cable would grab onto the graphite powder. I might add that I also replaced those nasty pot metal pulleys with nicely machined bearing loaded ones.

john
PF Coupe
oldfart3

Post by oldfart3 »

I've already responded to John Vardanian off line, but for anybody else's info ---- I threaded a piece of twine around all the pulleys and winding drum in the right door of my Lusso, duplicating the routing of the cable. My car has an idler pulley that can be slid in a couple of slots on the Y shaped support bracket that allow a limited amount of length/tensioning. To duplicate the routing on my car would require 112 inches of cable.

John Tarr
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks John T, I got one door done. It took me only about 7 days. The other door I will do in about 30 minutes tomorrow, I'm sure.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

That's just fantastic...I haven't even gotten to my PW in those 7 days! steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me complete this miserable job. This was a dry run. I have taken notes, sketches and pictures as to the sequence of things to be assembled. The next time this hardware is attached the doors will be painted and polished and having good notes will minimize handling of the doors.

Thank you.

john

PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

congrats! looks so good. well done. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

one more thing - if you haven' already figured it out, just pm me,. I'd be happy to drive up to the city a help you thread that thing. I bring the delrin stash too
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Keith Milne wrote:one more thing - if you haven' already figured it out, just pm me,. I'd be happy to drive up to the city a help you thread that thing. I bring the delrin stash too
Keith,

Thanks, but I don't think I can accept your Delrin or consort with your kind. You are leaving our sorority. :wink:

john
PF Coupe