Can there be a more miserable task?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Can there be a more miserable task?

Post by John Vardanian »

Has anyone re-threaded a window winder with new cable, while not knowing the original length?

I didn't have the presence of mind to keep the old cable when I was dismantling the car. So, now I am up the creek. Thanks for any help.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Can there be a more miserable task?

Post by tyang »

Yikes John! Do you at least have pictures of how many times the cable looped around one of the pulleys?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
william

Post by william »

Hi John,

I re-threaded my driver window last summer... I have to tell you, it was a real pain in the but!!!! Having the correct length is very very important.. I have a GTE.. I know I took pictures of the process I just need to find them. I also wrote down the length of the cable. Once again for a GTE. Are both windows missing the cable? When I re-threaded the cable I made a diagram and took pictures and still had to pull the passenger side door panel to figure it out.

On a side note a buddy of mine has a series I car that was threaded around the pullys different then mine!!!! I guess there more then one way to make it work..

send me your email and I'll send you pics if I can find them.
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

John, Maybe we can join miseries...the panels are off both of my gtc doors as I struggle with my PW motors and hook up. I can shoot all the pictures you want, but I'm not unwrapping the cable! Let me know and I can send them this week, off line, or on. Maybe you can shed some light on the 4 wire motor and it's hookup...my T-bird motor replacement seems to be wired differently than the unit that burned in hell. See my post. thanx s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Hi John,

Try reproducing your door component positions on a plywood panel by taking measurement from the door itself, then thread the new cable on the plywood panel.
When you have the cable threaded, tie-wrap the cable to the gearbox posts to keep them from unthreading when you transfer the system back to the door.
For the other door, flip over the plywood panel and remount the components.

I used the four upper pulleys from the two doors to represent the upper pulleys and the lower pulley-rail (too hard to use on the plywood panel). I also used my battery charger to operated the motors on the plywood panel to make sure everything moved in the right directions and that the window travel was well represented by the winding of the cable on the gearbox winder.

As one end of the cable leaves the winder, the other end of the cable enters the winder, so there is only one groove between the two ends of the cable on the winder.

I positioned tape on the cable to represent the position of the cable attachment to the window grommets. That allowed me to make the window position compatible with the winder cable threading. The photos are pretty easy to understand, I think.

Although the cable routing on my 365 GT 2+2 may not be identical to your 330, you should be able to reproduce my work with your doors.

Good luck,

Tom Kizer
Attachments
Window Cables.JPG
Window Cables.JPG (70.58 KiB) Viewed 11100 times
Picture 071.jpg
Picture 071.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 11099 times
Picture 054.jpg
Picture 054.jpg (88.29 KiB) Viewed 11097 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Sorry, John. I should have said "your PF Coupe".
Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Steve Meltzer wrote:John, Maybe we can join miseries...the panels are off both of my gtc doors as I struggle with my PW motors and hook up. I can shoot all the pictures you want, but I'm not unwrapping the cable! Let me know and I can send them this week, off line, or on. Maybe you can shed some light on the 4 wire motor and it's hookup...my T-bird motor replacement seems to be wired differently than the unit that burned in hell. See my post. thanx s
Thanks Steve. I would be very grateful if you could give me a picture or a diagram that shows something like this with the window all the way up. I need to know how many idle turns there are on the spool. My example here is , of course, arbitrary.

Thanks for the Pictures, Tom. The Lusso dor is different, but it shares the same five pullies. Incidentally, you can get some new bearing loaded ones from McMaster Carr. It makes a great improvement in the motion.

PF Coupe
John Se

Post by John Se »

Well, I think sanding is the most miserable............but at what point do you just convert to a track or flex shaft type of window motors?
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I've strongly considered some sort of "hot rod" PW internals...that would be nice. I put some in my '66 Vette coupe..WOW, they're awesome...fast, cheap and durable. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

John, My left/driver's window is down (motor out) and the passenger's/right is up (motor out). I can take pix Tues nite, if you'd like. Do you want both or neither? Post on Tom's site or send PM? thanx steve
steve meltzer,
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Steve Meltzer wrote:John, My left/driver's window is down (motor out) and the passenger's/right is up (motor out). I can take pix Tues nite, if you'd like. Do you want both or neither? Post on Tom's site or send PM? thanx steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer. It's up to you. You can post the pictures for all to benefit or you can email them to me. I will PM you my email address. Thanks again.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I'll post them this PM, didn't want to waste a bunch of bandwidth. s
steve meltzer,
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Okay folks. I found this picture I took. This is as bought and delivered new. The way I see this, there are equal coils wrapped on the spool from both ends of the cable. I presume, what this means is the window crank is in "nutral" postion at this state; i.e., the window is f way up. Agree?

This is from a Fiat 128, incidentally, which is why I had to rethread it. TH missing variable is the length of the cable, which from what I understand has to be cut dead precisely. There is only one roller that is movable and allows for slight adjustment.

PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, I was gonna post about 13 pictures, but each one of them is bigger than the allowable 256Kb. Not sure what to do about that especially since I'm geeky, but not a geek. s
steve meltzer,
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

John - I had to do this on the passenger side a few years ago. I'll admit, it was one of the more frustrating tasks! I found out the hard way that I had cut the wire about two inches to short and everything would bind up or fall off the wheel and kink, etc. etc. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact length, because it was a trial/error kind of thing, but if you are binding up when raising the window, lengthen the cable by at least 3 inches. I also found it MUCH easier to use a more flexible stainless cable rather than the fairly stiff original stuff.
BTW - Delrin is waiting for you.

Keith