330 GT brake lines - group buy??

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

330 GT brake lines - group buy??

Post by enio45 »

I know that some of us like to make our own brake lines etc, however I have been talking to Inline tube - manufacture of preformed brake lines for american cars. I use them for all my GM muscle cars. They have a variety of products for brakes etc. They make their product in steel or stainless.

I sent them pics of my 330 brake lines - caliper lines and rear axle lines . They indicated they can make them for me, with the correct flare, metric of course and bends based on me sending them my originals. They estimated cost around 125-135, minus the cross member line because i did not get that out yet to take a pic.

They can do better $$ if there is a larger quanity.

I am asking the 330 GT owners (im not familiar with the other models if these lines are simular) , if anyone is interested in ordering a complete set of what i described above. I will also add to the cores i send them the clutch line from the clutch cyl to the slave cyl.

Let me know if there is any interest and i will pursue a larger buy. They can make also the flex lines - but was having these made at Karp's. They also have the emergency brake cable (inner) avail - i have to get that priced out.

Send questions, ill try to answer or get an answer.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Re: 330 GT brake lines - group buy??

Post by tyang »

Hi Ed,

A warning: Don;t assume they're metric! What kind of brake calipers do 330 GT 2+2 have? Dunlop calipers have SAE fittings, but the other end that goes to the M/C is often metric. I believe ATE brakes are metric. Don't forget the fitting that goes into a Dunlop brake caliper is a double bubble flare, not a normal double flare, but then the fitting into the M/C is. It's mostly 3/16th line, but there's a lot more to it than preformed line. If one fitting is incorrectly installed, you have a long piece of useless SS brake line.

Another thought is THESE ARE HAND MADE CARS! Preformed lines are nice on American cars where they made them in the hundreds of thousands, but I've tweaked many lines on Vintage Ferraris because of slight differences. If you're doing this to save time, I don't think you'll find it easier. If you want to save money, mild steel lines are cheap, and if you are careful in removing the old fittings, they can be reused. The first set of mild steel lines lasted over 40 years, so with the better care and maintenance, the new mild steel lines should last at least another 40 years.

If you have the engine out, NOW IS THE TIME TO INSTALL LINES!!! You have all the space to work, and you'll do a better job than anyone can with preformed lines.

Are you feeling I don't think this is a good idea? Sorry. I would just hate to see you go through all this trouble, and then start having problems, not only with your car, but with everyone else who orders. it has the potential to be a disaster.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

Tom and Ed, I have just recently found a new source of brake lines and fittings, www.fedhillusa.com They have a great website.

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Co.
Dave Payne

Post by Dave Payne »

On my GTE, the brake lines were copper plated steel. I made 100% new lines for the entire car from steel, and had a flash coat of copper put on by the platers. Yes, there is a combo of metric and SAE fittings sometimes on the same line, and different types of flares used. I agree with Tom that the lines are pretty much each custom fit, at least on the GTE.