Top Gear Daytona

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Top Gear Daytona

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to see the UK Top Gear Episode featuring a Daytona owned by someone I met at Goodwood last year:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari829.htm

Richard Hammond liked the car as he drove it along the Riviera Coast.

Did anyone else catch it?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DBS

Re: Top Gear Daytona

Post by DBS »

Yes, I saw the program when it aired here in the UK. I really enjoyed it, the right car on the right roads in glorious weather reminded me why we mess about with old cars! It's not about performance figures or handling (although with the Daytona they're still respectable), it's about how these cars make you feel... The glorious sound of the engine, the smell of leather and hot oil etc. As Richard Hammond said, "It's like falling in love". There are some clips on you tube, turn up the volume and enjoy!

Chris
Chris

1971 Aston Martin DBS V8
tyang

Post by tyang »

Here's what Anthony said about the episode:
My Daytona was a great hit on Top Gear in the UK. Over the Christmas period that must have showed that episode at least 10 times.

Hammond loved it. I had a chat with him at the filming in the studio. He is a great guy. In fact they are all a laugh. I did not like Clarkson until I met him at the studio. He is really funny.

Top Gear got on to Ferrari UK to loan a Daytona. They in turn got hold of the Ferrari Owners Club, who in turn got hold of the V12 register organiser (mutual friend Andrew Seward 275 GTS) who asked me if I would loan my car to them.

They collected the car, in an enclosed, un marked transporter, and drove three days to Portofino in Italy.

Hammond then drove the Daytona 250 miles to St Tropez (south of France). Then, and this part puzzles me, they took the car back to Portofino in a transported and then drove the exact route again. This time it was driven by The Stig for the helicopter shots??? Why they did not do it all at once, I have no idea.
'63 330 America #5053
Deane

Post by Deane »

I think that show alone convinced me I will need another V12.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)