Correct Finish - Sway bar and brackets etc

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

xs10shl

Re: Correct Finish - Sway bar and brackets etc

Post by xs10shl »

Just as a data point, I use the following procedure to clean parts prior to sending them for plating.

1. Clean parts in an ultrasonic cleaner using a soap that removes rust and any existing plating. You can buy an ultrasonic cleaner for under $100. Bigger ones cost $400-$500. I use the biodegradable descalar soap made by Omegasonics - it will remove oil, dirt, rust, and any previous traces of old plating in a single 15 minute wash.
2. Polish the parts using a wire wheel. File where necessary to remove burrs.
3. Send parts to the plater.

In absence of an ultrasonic cleaner, you can also just use a media blaster, but then it's imperative that you polish your parts using a wire wheel, or the plated parts you get back will have a dull sheen to them. Polishing is the key to a gleaming finish, and is an absolute must, especially for any yellow-plated pieces.

Due to lot minimums, I tend to plate as many parts as I can, all at once. I'm fortunate that my plater allows me to separate out the parts into separate labeled bins, which he will run together during plating but keep compartmentalized throughout the process. This way I don't need to re-sort the hardware when it returns. Last week, I did a run of gold zinc that had 50 different labeled bins, with about 250 nuts and bolts. It cost me $500.

I just learned this week that my plater (Hy-Tech Plating) offers Clear and Yellow Cadmium plating services. It is about 20% more expensive, and the owner says it is a much better plating medium. They are one of perhaps only a handful of platers in California to offer the service. He showed me the array of filtering systems they use to remove the cyanide from the water prior to disposal - it is quite the setup! I'm planning on running my next few lots this way, and will report back on the results.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

buurman wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:
buurman wrote:John , I can live perfecttly with new selfsecuring nuts.
All the best
Cornelis
Cornelis, you tend to forget that in America we restore the piss out of our cars.

john
Instead of making headachse about nuts and bolts
place an 20 mm torsionbar on the front.
your driving handling will improve very strong, If you tread your car in the right way
near the 7000-8000 rpm border.

ciao
Cornelis
7000-8000 RPM, Cornelis? Is that any way to treat a trailer queen?

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Ed,

You can see the upright with the original paint. This is out of the parts washer and the kerosene has given it a little more sheen than it should have. I have painted mine with SEM laquer based paint and am happy with the results. The brake rotor plates should be the same color black.

john

PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

John, thats perfect - just what i needed to see.....thanks for your time in responding.

Mine will be completely disassembled next week, ready for plating and powdercoating.

This is my first disassembly - any word of caution as i proceed besides the coil spring and its tension?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed,

No words of caution, just make sure that the back plates are streight and take out any wrinkles. Also, make sure to mask the contact and bearing surfaces. These are lesson's learned for me.

john
PF Coupe
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Cornelius,

Wouldn't a Honda Accord do the same thing?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Rudy van Daalen Wetters wrote:Cornelius,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Good morning John and Rudy, you both would like to have an reply?
Put on your seatbelts in your armchairs and read.
About 7000-8000 rpm:
If you understand something about assembling and maintanance of 250/330 engines.
its not a problem to reach that border. in the FER/MAS chalange the prepared 250 GTE blocks goes to 8500 !!
the V12 has so much overcapacity and very less worn. you can do it without making your underwear braun
those challangepilots has two fresch engines as a spare - the org expansive engine stay in the gerage -
So and other 250 GTE's gone.
I normally read for my job clinalcal studies
but your investigation on compressor airmotor, beats everything impressive.
So I wish both of you a nice ride around the block/church this weekend
Its a pity with your 60MPH limits.
If afraid to blow you engine park on the corner, and let the blowjob work do somebody else
what is nicer in this world than a fresh enigine and some fresh meat ?
life is nice enjoy it as long you live !
do not take this comment to personal.
I always enjoy both of your contributions.

All the best

ciao
Cornelis (this is a dutch name, not Cornelius Rudy thats german)
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Cornelis,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Cornelis,

It looks like my humor and sarcasm didn't make it over the language barrier. I do not take any of your comments personal, because I agree that most American vintage Ferrari owners are more concerned with show than go. But that is changing as more Americans bring their cars to Lake Como and Europeans bring theirs to Pebble Beach. The standard of restoration becomes more uniform and it looks like the Americans are setting the tone.

Personally, I find the whole idea of auto racing barbaric and cannot stand to see beautiful machinery get abused, not in the past and certainly not today. But, that’s me. Though, I enjoy driving my old cars, I am happiest when something breaks or I know something has to come apart for service. Maybe that explains the many volumes on the horn.

Keep contributing. I enjoy your viewpoints and mechanical knowhow.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Did i miss something - are we suppose to drive these cars?
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

enio45 wrote:Did i miss something - are we suppose to drive these cars?
Yes. yes. We are supposed to drive them, but as long as we don't let the tires get dirty.

BTW, you are tainting this forum with that 87 El Cmino business. Please remove or you will be banned! :wink:

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

I can substitute it with a 69 Yenko Camaro if that helps :)
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I would like to praise this thread as being a "role model" thread. The information is of very high quality, from my point of view, and will help me prepare my car for FCA2009. I wish every subsystem on the car was as clearly documented as these suspension items are. I've got all the parts books for my Queen and much other information, including all the photos of show cars that I can find, but nowhere is there the level of detail regarding plating and paint that I find here.

I want to thank you guys for this type of thread and hope that other car systems will receive the same kind of attention (like the horns).

John, according to a psychologist I once had a discussion with during a seminar for engineers, you are what he called a "monkey-grabber". When you encounter a problem, or someone brings you a problem, you tend to grab it as if it were a mechanical monkey and tear its arms and legs off so you will have more problems to solve. As far as I am concerned, that's great. These discussions help me to "re-live" the history of these wonderful machines.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Tom,

As we speak, I am looking for a monkey picture to serve as my new avatar. :lol:

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

I am glad we can have discussions like these for detailing, as I hope it sets a standard for people to use when they detail their cars. Big time judges are lurking out there as well, and contribute to me privately if they see fit, so eventually, we'll have a consensus to go by.

I may even create an archive as we collect these threads for people to use as reference.

That said, we have also collected a group of individuals that maintain their cars for the soul purpose of driving them. I'm trying my best to contribute to both camps. My initial attraction to Ferraris was the sound they make in their upper rev range. It announces the achievement the engineers that designed these engines back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and I love to hear that call every now and again!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053