CLAMPS

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

TOMKIZER

CLAMPS

Post by TOMKIZER »

In my 365 GT 2+2 Engine Parts Book, the following sketch is shown. On the heater shut-off valve, there are ANGST-PH TIPO 19-20 clamps called out (qty. 4, although I think it should be qty. 5). For other areas of the engine compartment, the book calls for ANGST-PH TIPO C19-20 (see the clamp sketch that I've pasted into the sketch above and right of the shut-off valve. Apparently a TIPO C19-20 is different than a TIPO 19-20. Can someone tell me (or better yet, show me) the difference between the TIPO C19-20 AND the TIPO 19-20?

Tom Kizer
Attachments
CLAMP.JPG
CLAMP.JPG (26.93 KiB) Viewed 8779 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
TOMKIZER

Re: CLAMPS

Post by TOMKIZER »

WOW! That question got such an overwhelming response, that I decided to ask another.

What color is this clamp (#17) supposed to be (or type of plating)? It's used on the crankcase ventilation hoses of the 365 GT 2+2, and maybe some others (see the sketch and photo).

Tom Kizer
Single Wire Clamp.jpg
Single Wire Clamp.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
Clamp Sketch.JPG
Clamp Sketch.JPG (13.33 KiB) Viewed 8660 times
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Tom Check w BrianP or Zac they migh have a clue on the hose clamps, those sproing guys are also on my 330 brake resovior, as i recall Parker Hall shows those in his catalog so the proper finish is likely described. Are you coming to Richard Garres' on Saturday? M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tip. Since Parker's catalog is almost always in my left hand, (since I retired, I carry it instead of my Franklin Planner), I looked up the clamps (Item 101, page 20). He sells them but doesn't have a photo nor does he mention plating or color.

That prompted me to look on Kerry's site, where I found a photo of the clamps on the crankcase vent tubes of a 330. They are either faded yellow cad or incipient rust colored. Sorry, Kerry, if you are watching, maybe you can comment.

Expecting to get as enthusiastic a response to the second post as I got from the first, I capitulated this afternoon and ordered a box of 100 zinc dichromate plated ones (yellow - 15/32" dia.) from McMaster-Carr. If they're the wrong color, and if I find out what the right color is, and if this obsession becomes a full blown OCD, I can always replate them. I don't know what I'll do with the other 92 clamps. That's enough for 7 1/2 more queens.

By the way, now that I've ordered all that I need, I can tell everyone that Dennis McCann now has a good selection of formerly-impossible-to-find NOS ANGST-PH TIPO C type clamps (discussed in my first post). Just search ANGST on his site. Beware the 15-17 clamp; it's a wire spring type but about 5/8" dia.

I still don't understand the clamp requirement for the heater shut-off valve in my first post. Some of the clamps look like ANGST-PH TIPO C and others look like Copiglia clamps, inspite of what the parts list says. Maybe this was a "transition period", going from Copiglias to ANGST-PHs. This is where some OLD photos of then NEW engines would help. I can't believe Ferrari doesn't have old photos in their archives.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. Thanks for the comment.

Tom Kizer
330GT

Post by 330GT »

TOMKIZER wrote:Hi Michael,
...That prompted me to look on Kerry's site, where I found a photo of the clamps on the crankcase vent tubes of a 330. They are either faded yellow cad or incipient rust colored. Sorry, Kerry, if you are watching, maybe you can comment.

...Tom Kizer
The picture is from Lowell Brown's 330. If I can remember, they were zinc plated. Lowell should be able to take a better look.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

TOMKIZER wrote:
Hi Michael,
...That prompted me to look on Kerry's site, where I found a photo of the clamps on the crankcase vent tubes of a 330. They are either faded yellow cad or incipient rust colored. Sorry, Kerry, if you are watching, maybe you can comment.

...Tom Kizer

The clamps on Kerry's site which are on the clear tube from the head to the air filter are on my 330.
Kerry took the photo. The picture makes the yellow hose from the electric fuel pump look beautiful instead
of the old beat-up patina of age that it has. It make the clamps look bright. They are, in fact, nicely black:
They have a gun blueing surface or, for the PC, a black oxide finish.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II

Post by 8339 »

Tom, check out the Daytona Registry, they have a section on authenticity that's pretty good and it shows those clamps.
www.daytonaregistry.com

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Company
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Richard, I can't find the spring clamps in the Daytona Registry, although it shows great photos of the Cheney, ANGST-PH TIPO C, and Miniflex clamps.

Lowell, I believe you when you say the spring clamps are black oxide. Do you think that's the original treatment? If it is, I can just acid strip mine and use my gun blue on them.

Michael, I forgot to answer your question. No, I can't come to the event on Saturday. I've got tickets to a Benefit Wine Tasting on Friday night and will be lucky to get home upright, let alone drive all night from the wine tasting to get to Maryland - NOT A VERY GOOD IDEA.

I wish those of you going to Radcliff's a great time Saturday. I'll be envying you while I'm nursing my hangover.

Thanks for all the input.

Tom Kizer

Post by 8339 »

Tom, quick note on gun bluing, being a tournament Skeet Shooter for the last 25 years and a having a few premium grade shotguns, I can tell you bluing won't hold up under the hood of a car. Take a look at Restoration Supply Company, they sell a black oxide kit that appears to be pretty easy to use and seems to hold up.

Richard
Deane

Post by Deane »

One easy way to get nice black clamps is to order a bag of (white) zinc ones from Mcmaster-Carr, then use a black conversion solution on them. Since the zinc plating is of good quality, the black conversion coat also holds up well underhood, at least several years on my car.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)