fuel pipe

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

oldfart3

fuel pipe

Post by oldfart3 »

Does anybody have any leads on 250GT metal fuel tubing? It's obviously larger than 3/8 and smaller than 1/2.

John Tarr
John Vardanian

Re: fuel pipe

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi John,

Have you tried McMaster Carr?

john
PF Coupe
carello

Post by carello »

oldfart3 wrote:Does anybody have any leads on 250GT metal fuel tubing? It's obviously larger than 3/8 and smaller than 1/2. John Tarr
John, It would seem the tubing would be 10mm OD and 8mm ID, steel tubing. Is this the run from the rear to the front. Fittings soldered to the ends?
motob

Post by motob »

Ferrari used 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing for the fuel pipes that run from the front of the car to the rear. The fittings on these pipes are silver soldered on.

Some of fuel pipes that have tight bends in them are made from 10mm copper pipe that is cadmium plated (for example the Y pipe that takes fuel from the rear fuel filter housing and supplies it to the electric fuel pump). The fittings on these pipes are either silver soldered or lead soldered (the Y pipe will have both types of solder, one on each different fitting).

Nobody sells 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing in the USA, so you have to get steel tubing and have it copper plated.

McMaster Carr sells both the 10mm steel pipe and the 10mm copper tubing, but they only sell it in 1 meter lengths. If you need a longer piece then MMCC http://www.metricmcc.com/AboutUs/corporate_history.aspx can supply it for you.

Brian Brown
Patrick Ottis Co.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

motob wrote:Ferrari used 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing for the fuel pipes that run from the front of the car to the rear. The fittings on these pipes are silver soldered on.

Some of fuel pipes that have tight bends in them are made from 10mm copper pipe that is cadmium plated (for example the Y pipe that takes fuel from the rear fuel filter housing and supplies it to the electric fuel pump). The fittings on these pipes are either silver soldered or lead soldered (the Y pipe will have both types of solder, one on each different fitting).

Nobody sells 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing in the USA, so you have to get steel tubing and have it copper plated.

McMaster Carr sells both the 10mm steel pipe and the 10mm copper tubing, but they only sell it in 1 meter lengths. If you need a longer piece then MMCC http://www.metricmcc.com/AboutUs/corporate_history.aspx can supply it for you.

Brian Brown
Patrick Ottis Co.
Hello,
For all the europeen readers , we can bay the 10 mm tubing at every good plumbing schop.
I would go for the copper tubing , it will be easyer to bend espacially between big Fispa filter and elec . Fispa fuel pump.
When you have youre org. belly pan no one can see!
If some body offer you a good used one BEWARE you got the right side!
Cars till 1958 had it on the co-pilot side.
After 1958 it went to the driverside these are of course differant( Filter and pump) I think with PF serie 2
Brian recommended in Ferrarichat (tunning question two books)
these are a MUST for all Yangers.

ciao
Cornelis,

P.S still not capabel to send some infomative fotos
carello

Post by carello »

motob wrote:Ferrari used 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing for the fuel pipes that run from the front of the car to the rear. The fittings on these pipes are silver soldered on.Some of fuel pipes that have tight bends in them are made from 10mm copper pipe that is cadmium plated (for example the Y pipe that takes fuel from the rear fuel filter housing and supplies it to the electric fuel pump). The fittings on these pipes are either silver soldered or lead soldered (the Y pipe will have both types of solder, one on each different fitting).Nobody sells 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing in the USA, so you have to get steel tubing and have it copper plated.McMaster Carr sells both the 10mm steel pipe and the 10mm copper tubing, but they only sell it in 1 meter lengths. If you need a longer piece then MMCC http://www.metricmcc.com/AboutUs/corporate_history.aspx can supply it for you. Brian Brown Patrick Ottis Co.
Where would you find new solder on fittings for this fuel supply application and what type and size would the fittings be?
Attachments
330fuellines1.jpg
330fuellines1.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 9334 times
oldfart3

Post by oldfart3 »

Thanks everybody for your input. McMaster-Carr will have to come through again. I'm not fussy enough to care whether or not the tubing is copper plated, as long as I can re-silver solder the fittings I've removed from the original pipe.

John Tarr
tyang

Post by tyang »

carello wrote:
motob wrote:Ferrari used 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing for the fuel pipes that run from the front of the car to the rear. The fittings on these pipes are silver soldered on.Some of fuel pipes that have tight bends in them are made from 10mm copper pipe that is cadmium plated (for example the Y pipe that takes fuel from the rear fuel filter housing and supplies it to the electric fuel pump). The fittings on these pipes are either silver soldered or lead soldered (the Y pipe will have both types of solder, one on each different fitting).Nobody sells 10mm OD copper plated steel tubing in the USA, so you have to get steel tubing and have it copper plated.McMaster Carr sells both the 10mm steel pipe and the 10mm copper tubing, but they only sell it in 1 meter lengths. If you need a longer piece then MMCC http://www.metricmcc.com/AboutUs/corporate_history.aspx can supply it for you. Brian Brown Patrick Ottis Co.
Where would you find new solder on fittings for this fuel supply application and what type and size would the fittings be?
I removed my original fittings with some heat and used stainless steel lines. It's been a while since I did them, but I seem to remember using inch sized line. The silver solder made up the difference in size.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
carello

Post by carello »

some valuable input photos from Cornelis on fuel system tubing and fittings.
Attachments
quite a special piece of of fuel line.
quite a special piece of of fuel line.
IMG_2177.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
These screw together fittings, both banjo and swivel flare, are sought after. Anybody have a supplier?
These screw together fittings, both banjo and swivel flare, are sought after. Anybody have a supplier?
2176.jpg (88.54 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
This filter is shown in its original grey green with yellow graphics
This filter is shown in its original grey green with yellow graphics
2175.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

carello wrote:some valuable input photos from Cornelis on fuel system tubing and fittings.
Hi Craig,
I am allways suprised that I as foreigner knows the way in our country better than the original inhabitants.
I bought mine in the 90s at company SALVA
They were near Torino ,Italy like most org. supliers.
Cost in those days complete about 10000 lire about 5 euros now.
The supplier in the US is Mr N. Mangio http://www.newcoproducts.com He has alot of other stuff like Lobo and Philips screw etc
but dont get an HEART- attack it will cost you more the 220 USD for every complete fitting( EACH) without -yellow or brown- oil /fuelline..........
So dont order 100 parts at once. Ask first.

Ciao
C.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hello Yangers, some info of the symbiose of the mech. and elec Fispapumps on 250gt
If the electric Fuel pump is broke or not working ,the circuit is normally closed.
see nice grafik of Craig ( carello).
That means you can drive your car with only ONE working mech. pump.
OK it will take some more time to start
When the membran of the mech. pump is broken its an OPEN system
that means your fuel is ONLY circulating from out of the tank and back into the tank,
and cannot bild up pressor in the floating chamber!!
Derspite pressorregulation on small Fispa filter.
you're car will idle, but NO preformance by accelerating.
So thats why I always carry an spare mech. pump with me in the car I use.

Its only a 26 year hobby here
ciao
C.