330 gt fresh air intake linkage

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

onyxco

330 gt fresh air intake linkage

Post by onyxco »

The fresh air linkage on my series one serial no. 6089 car was broken and missing some of the rod/ rods. I am having a tough time now trying to figure out how to get it to work correctly. The lever sweeps with a vertical radius motion and the flap rod travels in and out. The exploded view in the Pininfarina manual shows one rod only! Does anyone out there have any idea how this works and what is needed? I photo of the linkage would be huge!
Thanks,
Mike Groff
Pasadena, Ca
Pied-Noir

Re: 330 gt fresh air intake linkage

Post by Pied-Noir »

I hope I can help you. I have 6087, so I guess that's close! I had a related problem some 30 years ago with a broken lever to which the actuating rod is connected. The actuating rod is in two pieces which are joined by a threaded brass coupling. This coupling adjusts the length of this actuating rod and dictates its travel. Its length will also have an effect on the opening angle of the ventilation flap. The flap that you are talking about has two connecting points. If I recall, the lower setting will only partially open the flap. Just remember, the actuation is simple and is only push/pull - nothing fancy even though the lever on the dash has an up/down motion. Hope that helps.

Yves
Anaheim, CA
onyxco

Post by onyxco »

Yves,
That is amazing that our cars are next to each other. What a small world. 40 miles away!
I appreciate the effort with your explination of the linkage. I will give these points some thought. I am still having a difficult time with the conflicting actions. Sweep up and down vs flap rod in and out. Photos would help solve the mystery.
I would love to see your car sometime. You have had it forever!
Thanks Again,
Mike
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Mike,
A small world indeed. We'll get together one of these days - not a problem.
I wish I could get you pictures asap but I have to take the console out . I'll work on this project.
If that helps any, the dash board lever is somewhat shaped like an "L" and the pivot point is at the angle of this "L". One end of the "L" is the lever protruding out of the dash and the other arm is where the actuating rod is connected to give the push/pull motion required to open the vent. The actuation works because the "L" pivots at the point where the 90 degrees angle is formed.
Hope that sheds a little light under the dash.
Yves
onyxco

Post by onyxco »

Air Box Motions.jpg
Air Box Motions.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
Yves,
Thanks for the advice. I am still not able to apply this to my issues. The motions that I have now contradict each other. The direction needs to change between the lever and the box. It just does not make sense. If anyone else cares to jump in I am all ears!
Mike Groff
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Hi Mike,
I understand your frustration. The motion that I outlined above is how it works on my car. When the air intake is being closed, the dash board lever is pushed up and the "L" arm is moving through its arc and one arm of the "L" is moving forward. As it moves forward, the rod working the flap is being pushed forward and that causes the air intake flap to close. Based on your picture, the dash board lever unit is upside down. If you do not touch the lever but flip he unit around, you will have one arm of the "L" up and that would be the open position and the air box flap would be open. You are missing one threaded rod, this rod has one threaded end and the other end has a 90 degree angle finger, one connecting threaded brass coupling and spring clip. The brass coupling adjusts the travel of the rod which in turn has a direct effect on the actuation of the flap. Hope this is clearer.
If I don't get called up for jury duty tomorrow, I see bout taking the console out.

Yves
onyxco

Post by onyxco »

Yves,
Thanks again.
I do still have the threaded sleeve and I also have the rod w/ clip that was on the lever side but did not put in the photo.
I experemented with the lever both ways. The way that it sits in the shot was how it came out of the car but looks opposite of what is shown in the pininfarina manual. If I flip it over, the open and closed positions change but the motion remains. So this seems to have done nothing as I experemented with it positioned both ways.
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Hi Mike,
I don't understand: "motion remains..." and " seems to have done nothing..."
I recommend the following:
1. Make sure the flap in the air box is functional and moves freely.
2. Since you have ALL the parts, connect them as they should be, taking into consideration that the air box sits higher than the dash board lever unit. The arc through which the rod is operating the air box flap has to travel through plane motion is also a factor to consider. Should all that not be lined up, what ever position you statically put the unit, the rods will bind and nothing will operate. That's because the mechanism is being forced to operate outside the working arc for the effective application angular motion.
3. Make sure you have positioned the dash board lever and the air box flap as explained in yesterday 's post.
4. Post pictures.
5. The simplicity of the mechanism precludes all other possibilities of angular motion application. It does work.

Yves
onyxco

Post by onyxco »

Yves,
I
Pied-Noir wrote:Hi Mike,
I don't understand: "motion remains..." and " seems to have done nothing..."
Assume that the "off" position is "up" on the knob side of the lever:
If you flip the lever over and position the lever in the "off/ up" position, the action remains the same. The linkage side of the lever still travels up.
The only differences are the 2 options:
1)The linkage side of the lever travels from mid position to the top
or
2)Bottom to mid position

The backside of the lever always travels up when the knob side is pushed downward to the "on" position.
mike
Pied-Noir

Post by Pied-Noir »

Mike,
I see what you are saying, but I am not taking that road. You stated that you have ALL the parts, put it together following the recommendations in my previous posting. Play with it. The beauty of this simple mechanism (up/down, push/pull) has been working on the MKI for over 40 years is that it still works. There is nothing to it.
There is nothing else I can do or say.
Yves
onyxco

Post by onyxco »

yves
no problem.
My problem is that I do NOT have all the parts and am not sure what is missing. If I had the parts I am fairly sure that I would not have posted anything!
Mike