BAAAD News!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

testaj

Re: BAAAD News!

Post by testaj »

tyang wrote:The good news is I still have a ride down to the MD event in a Ferrari. Jay, who was riding shotgun in my car, has agreed to drive his Testarossa. It might not be a Vintage Ferrari, but it's got 12 cylinders, so save us a spot Richard!

Tom
Tom
Hopefully you can get that beast running. Nobody wants to see you show up looking all 80's at a vintage Ferrari event, not to mention you wont know what to do with yourself in a Ferrari with a/c and a radio.
tyang

Post by tyang »

testaj wrote:
tyang wrote:The good news is I still have a ride down to the MD event in a Ferrari. Jay, who was riding shotgun in my car, has agreed to drive his Testarossa. It might not be a Vintage Ferrari, but it's got 12 cylinders, so save us a spot Richard!

Tom
Tom
Hopefully you can get that beast running. Nobody wants to see you show up looking all 80's at a vintage Ferrari event, not to mention you wont know what to do with yourself in a Ferrari with a/c and a radio.
I've got my "Capezios" and "Member's Only" jacket for the ride down!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
josh

Post by josh »

*laugh*
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I've got my "Capezios" and "Member's Only" jacket for the ride down!
A preview of coming attractions...
TYang.JPG
TYang.JPG (74.26 KiB) Viewed 10629 times
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Gold chains, anyone?

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/sn 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Rudy We are a more towing chains kindsa guys!
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Michael,

We definetely are tow chainers along with many others
on this site!

Best,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Tom,

It is possible repair this without removing the heads. I did it on mine. It held for 5 years but then started to weap when the engine was cooling off. It still sealed when the engine was running and when the engine was cold. It is not the best way to go but it will get you by until you have more time to fix it properly. I repaired it from the inside. I used a boroscope to see inside the water passages and then used a syringe with a tube attached to apply silicone at the o-ring joint from inside the water passage. You can get to the o-ring through the thermostat housing and one of the water passages on the front of the engine. It is not easy to do, it took me three tries to get it to seal. I can not recommend this method but in your situation it will allow you to take it to the show.

Cheers Jim
365 GT 2+2

Post by 365 GT 2+2 »

TY - doesn't the fact that you actually brought up 'capezios' mean that you wore them? :oops:

Enjoy the weekend fellas - Kate's 3rd Bday is on Saturday...somehow my Wife wasn't convinced that TYang/Radcliffe was a good venue for her party. :shock:

Jealous nonetheless. Have fun. Miami Vice soundtrack in the tape-deck in the Testarossa and all.
tyang

Post by tyang »

TY - doesn't the fact that you actually brought up 'capezios' mean that you wore them? :oops:
And you didn't? There was nothing wrong with them as long as you wore them in the 80s! If you're still wearing them sporting a mullet for a haircut, they you have problems!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

330Jim wrote:Tom,

It is possible repair this without removing the heads. I did it on mine. It held for 5 years but then started to weap when the engine was cooling off. It still sealed when the engine was running and when the engine was cold. It is not the best way to go but it will get you by until you have more time to fix it properly. I repaired it from the inside. I used a boroscope to see inside the water passages and then used a syringe with a tube attached to apply silicone at the o-ring joint from inside the water passage. You can get to the o-ring through the thermostat housing and one of the water passages on the front of the engine. It is not easy to do, it took me three tries to get it to seal. I can not recommend this method but in your situation it will allow you to take it to the show.

Cheers Jim
Hi Jim,

I've resigned myself to NOT bringing the 330 America. I will find the time to fix it right when I get back. Thanks!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Now don't be too harsh on TRs - I was rather dismissive of them until I rode around Brands Hatch for a few laps in one - with uprated brakes fortunately - and it went well and made a good noise. The same guy had a spin at Silverstone in the rain on Monday - fortunately without any dramas, unlike a couple of the V8 brigade that managed to modify their bodywork a little...
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
tyang

Post by tyang »

I finally found some time and energy to face working on my 330 again, and after thinking over how 330jim described his repair on his 330, Francois and I devised another approach to the repair. Looking at the access to the water passages from the thermostat housing we didn't think we could fix it adequately from that direction, but felt that it was worth a shot loosening the timing case nuts to see if we could move it forward just enough to get the faulty o-rings out to reseal them with more silicone. After the better part of a day's work, we managed to take it all apart, seal it, and tighten the timing case down. It'll sit overnight to set up, and I'll try to check to see if it seals up tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed, and I hope you do too! If this works, it'll save me the time to pull both heads, and to buy two new head gaskets for $400 bucks!

The other interesting thing was there was plenty of silicone from my installation, but there seemed to be slightly more clearance between one water passage and the o-ring that caused the leak. I'll try to explain what I did in a future post, but for now, let's hope things set up O.K. over tonight, but from the looks of the repair, it looks good.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Good luck with it Tom. Hope it all goes well for you! It was great to see the Lusso from the Radcliffe show. There should be more scruffy 'rat rod' style V12s around so that we don't feel so lonely with the 365GT! I was interested to see that it's only 10 chassis numbers apart from your car too.

Cheers

Andrew S.
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens