FCA Nationals in Wisconson

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

FCA Nationals in Wisconson

Post by tyang »

O.K., I got an e-mail from Sam, a 365GTC/4 owner that's kicking the idea of driving his car from the East Coast to Elkhart Lake, WI for the Ferrari Club of America Event at the end of July. The E-mail was to see if I wanted to ride shotgun with him on this journey...

It'll probably be three days of driving if we don't pound ourselves to death, and Sam will probably ship the car home, but the trip sounds like fun. I've spoken to a couple guys who are also going from the East Coast, and we may have the workings of a caravan.

The first thing I'd like to do is get a head count on who is planning on going, and if they're interested in driving out together. If I go with Sam, we're not planning super long days of driving, but have not committed to anything. It's all at the early stages, but I'm open to hearing suggestions. Maybe we can make a couple of stops along the way.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Re: FCA Nationals in Wisconson

Post by TOMKIZER »

I'm planning to drive my Queen from Quebec City down to Rochester,NY, and then across PA, OH, IN, ILL, and up to Elkhart Lake. I'm taking the U.S. route because the speed limits are a little higher and gas is cheaper than in Canada. I'll be leaving early on Monday, July 27 and doing it in two days, arriving Tuesday PM, July 28, so I'll have time to prep my car for the Concours on Thursday. We might be able to rendezvous somewhere along the way if it works out.

I'm seriously thinking about leaving Elkhart Lake early Sunday and stopping back by Meadowbrook Concours D'Elegance on Sunday afternoon. The trip might be too hard but I'm at least thinking about it.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

That's definitely on our route, so we should see if our schedules match.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

Dad and the Mondial will be there. The Mondial last raced at Elkhart Lake in 1959 and Dad will have it on the track.
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

I will be driving out from the DC area solo. Wife is flying out after the Pony Swim in Chincoteague on Wed. Lets talk as thinks get closer.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

To start the "coordination", here's my planned route. My only real constraint is to arrive on Tuesday PM since I'm booked at the Osthoff Tuesday night and I need Wednesday to prep my car for the concours.

So far we've got 40 cylinders, 36 being driven and 4 probably being trucked.

Tom Kizer
Attachments
Route.JPG
Route.JPG (54.98 KiB) Viewed 10653 times
Admiral Goodwrench

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

Dear TomK and other Yangsters,

The little blue car will be taken to Elkhart Lake by David Carte in his trailer, and after the National it will be kept at Wayne Obry's place until the 23rd of August for the Milwaukee Masterpiece concours.

HelenAnn and I will be staying at the Siebkens, right next door to the Osthoff. Presume there will be a Yang gathering, hint hint.

Best regards,
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

TK are you staying the night anywhere in transit??
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

mdempsey wrote:TK are you staying the night anywhere in transit??
Mark, the answer is yes, but how many nights and where depend on whether the "coordination" with everyone else works. My original plan was one night, somewhere between Rochester and Cleveland, but that makes for two 10 hour days. I'm flexible.

Admiral, that was a brilliant thought - the one about the possibility of a Yang gathering. I'll miss this Saturday's event and I've never been to a "Yang Gathering" so I would definitely enjoy one - maybe Wednesday night after registration? I assume there will be no local club hosted dinners on Wednesday night like there were in Toronto last year.

Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I'm definitely up for a gathering in Wisconsin. Let me get through the next couple of days, and I'll start working on a get together in July.

We could all rendezvous somewhere in western NY or Ohio.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

O.K. Let's start hammering this thing out.

Sam and I are thinking about leaving my house in NY just south of Albany on Monday (July 27th) morning. We can probably make it somewhere around Cleveland by Monday night.

Tuesday, we can drive somewhere to the IL/IN border.

Wednesday will bring us to Elkhart Lake, WI. for the FCA registration.

This is only a rough idea. I would love to see if there is anything we can do along the way, or meet some VIntage Ferrari owners along the way. That would lengthen or shorten a day of driving depending on what I come up with.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Come on TY crowd, how often do we get to use our cars as Ferrari intended...Grand Touring. Interstate 90 may not be Route 66, but the trip will be a blast anyway. Join us! Even if you do not want to participate in the FCA activities, the Elkhart area has lots to do and see. Come drive with us! :lol:
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Yale

Post by Yale »

Six days of traveling I think is too much for me. It is a two day drive but to stretch it into three... that makes for a long week away from my life... and you know at the end of the day it's not Goodwood or even Monterey we are driving too but a generally underwhealming FCA event. That said I always wanted to go to Elkhart Lake as one of the original locations of sporty car racing in America. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Here's an initial shot at offering a possible itinerary. It makes Cleveland the PRINCIPAL rendezvous point on the evening of Monday, July 27, and shows how it would fit those who have posted so far.

For me, the first leg from Quebec City to Cleveland is a little too long, but I can always leave Sunday and spend Sunday night near Syracuse, yielding a 660km (410mi) first leg on Sunday and meeting up with Tom Y. and Sam outside Syracuse for a remaining 536km (332mi) leg on Monday arriving in Cleveland. That is, unless Tom and Sam choose to take the southern route through Scranton. It also gives me a 793km (492mi) leg on Tuesday, allowing me to meet my objective of arriving in Elkhart Lake on Tuesday night to prep my car on Wednesday.

For Tom Y. and Sam, it provides a 759km (470mi) first leg on Monday to get to Cleveland, a 506km (314mi) leg to Gary, Indiana (near the Ind/Ill line) on Tuesday, and a 287km (178mi) final leg to Elkhart Lake on Wednesday the 29th.

For Yale, it yields a 741km (460mi) first leg from N.Y. to Cleveland and either a 793km (492mi) final leg to Elkhart Lake on Tuesday or the same two-day Cleveland-Gary-Elkhart Lake route as Tom and Sam.

For Mark Dempsey, it yields a 591km (366mi) first leg from Washington D.C. to Cleveland on Monday and the same alternatives as Yale and the Tom/Sam team on Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday.

There are lots of possibilities but given that we're scattered along the East coast of North America from Washington D.C. (so far) to Quebec, Canada, most of the possibilities relate to timing rather than geography. The route looks the same for everyone West of Cleveland and converging toward Cleveland East of that.

I'm not proposing anything, just offering a possible starting point for the negotiations.

Opinions? Discussion? Other constraints that I don't know about? Other participants to the Convoy?

Thats a big 10 - 4 good buddies........................ I'm sorry, I lost control of myself. I'll behave.

Tom Kizer
Attachments
Possibilities.JPG
Possibilities.JPG (120.2 KiB) Viewed 10387 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom K.,

You're more than welcome to stay at my house on Sunday night. Sam has the guest room, but I can offer a fold out couch if you don't mind. I'm about an hour south of Albany, and is a little bit in the wrong direction, but can I can offer a meal and a safe place to park.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053