What should i do with Alt and Starter

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

What should i do with Alt and Starter

Post by enio45 »

Im in the process of finishing the detailing of the engine compartment and while the motor is out i was considering a rebuild on the starter and alt. To date i have not had any issue, however now is the time to do this stuff.

Any recommendations and if it is suggested to redo them, any thoughts where to take them for both a cosmetic and functional restoration?

Thank you for the advise as usual!
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
xs10shl

Re: What should i do with Alt and Starter

Post by xs10shl »

If it were my car I'd at least have them both bench tested. Rebuilding is pretty inexpensive as far as costs go, so now is a good time if needed. Good time to flow-test the radiator as well. That'll cost $40 or so, if they charge you at all. I don't know which shop is the best locally to you, sorry.
enio45

Post by enio45 »

anyone with a recommendation for a quality rebuild and restoration place?
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
motob

Post by motob »

I would recommend having Tim as Select Electrics http://www.selectelectrics.net/ rebuild your starter and alternator.
He does the rebuilds for our shop, and does a top notch job.

Brian Brown
Patrick Ottis Co.
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Ed At a minimum pull the starter completely apart and insure its 100% right, it is a huge pain to pull it once the car is back together. The Alternator is easy on eay off and if it is working I would leave it go until it fails. There is an Annapolis shop that I have sent vintage Ferrari electics to that does first class work, and they came highly recommended by Richard Garre and Chuck Wray, and they are reasonable and fast: Mamock Motor Electric 410 267 7531 My 330 aletrnator rebuild by them was $170.00 M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Michael, thanks for the advise - il do that....i did call selectrics in CA and asked about a rebuild on the starater....they quoted a base price of 550.00 for the starter!! For that price, ill get one of those hi-torqu ones and put this one on the shelf......after the started price i did not ask about the alt.....im happy to send it to the east coast to get it done.

I may be in town (ashburn) in the next week or 2, lets hook up for a drink or a drive in your car?

Ill have to do something with the starter for sure as im doing this one time like you said....the alt will need to be redone as well, as the engine compartment will be completely restored with all the new bling bling!!
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
250GT

Post by 250GT »

enio45 wrote:Michael, thanks for the advise - il do that....i did call selectrics in CA and asked about a rebuild on the starater....they quoted a base price of 550.00 for the starter!! For that price, ill get one of those hi-torqu ones and put this one on the shelf......after the started price i did not ask about the alt.....im happy to send it to the east coast to get it done.

I may be in town (ashburn) in the next week or 2, lets hook up for a drink or a drive in your car?

Ill have to do something with the starter for sure as im doing this one time like you said....the alt will need to be redone as well, as the engine compartment will be completely restored with all the new bling bling!!
Enio 45 and alL others,
I can only highly recomm. everybody to make this 400-500 USD improvement.
You can switch off ANY time you're engine. without having the fear, it will not start again.(overheathing)
I made the aluminium starter Heathschield , witch probebly every one of you is missing ,a bit weider/longer that nobody can see this modifation.

One tip : Control is it suits youre engineblock.

128F and128DF engines has the fixationtread comming out of block in ONE line. (250GT)
the later 330/365 are OFFLINE.
The old Marelli has 0.8 HP, the new one about 3.5 HP
And saves some weight 3-5 KG

Its only hobby here.

ciao
Cornelis
enio45

Post by enio45 »

cornelis - the upgrade your talking about - is this the hi torq starter i was discussion or the rebuild of the starter?

Does anyone have any experience with the hi-torq starters you see on ebay for the 330's?
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Ed, the starters you see on Ebay are mine, literally. I was the original guinea pig for their starters. They took my old Marelli starter, the big one in the photo, and used it to make the mounting system for the 1.9 hp gear reduction starter, the small one in the photo. They then sent me back both starters. The old one is on the shelf in a box, not rebuilt. The small one is on my car and has worked flawlessly since day one. It cranks faster and draws almost no current. My battery stays up and the car starts so fast that it's difficult to know that the starter is not the original one. And with the heat shield installed under the headers, as Cornelius says, "...nobody can see this modification."

I've never regretted it.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

enio45 wrote:cornelis - the upgrade your talking about - is this the hi torq starter i was discussion or the rebuild of the starter?

Does anyone have any experience with the hi-torq starters you see on ebay for the 330's?
Mark Dempsey has a Queen with a hi-torque starter installed, and it starts the car without a problem every time. With less current drain from the battery for the starter, there is more power to the ignition system, so the engine has more of a chance to fire. That said, my original starter, with regular points fires up at first crank, so I won't consider this set-up until I have a problem.

The sound is very different from the grrr-rrr-rrr sound of the Marelli unit, so it does change the character of the car as well.

All things to consider when doing the upgrade.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Tom, that sounds like the way to go - i have not seen them in a while, but i think they were about 500.00?

Is there a web site where you buy them from?
Ed Montini
87 El Camino SS
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I can't find their web site anymore. It looks like they sell only on Ebay now. They are getting very expensive compared to two years ago.
Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

enio45 wrote:Tom, that sounds like the way to go - i have not seen them in a while, but i think they were about 500.00?

Is there a web site where you buy them from?
Hi Ed,

http://ferraris.server273.com/Ferraristarters.html

Tom K. was this the guy who did your starter?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Yes, that's him. The site used to be called BritishStarters.com. They started out making gear reduction starters for British cars - Jags, Rolls, etc. Apparently they're doing a thriving business with Ferraris now.

Tom Kizer
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I see now, down farther on their page. FerrariStarters is operated by BritishStarters.
Tom Kizer