Kare's project

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT

Kare's project

Post by 330GT »

As most of you know, Kare is restoring his father's GTE. I was looking at his pages about wiring and backed up one directory level to:
http://koti.welho.com/kpietil4/project

Now, it's in Finnish (I presume since it's all Greek to me), but I found the detailed pictures facinating.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Art S.

Re: Kare's project

Post by Art S. »

I think we should all chip in and buy Kare a machine shop! :D

Neat stuff. However, I want to know what the text says on the post where Kare recreates a lock mechanism before I comment further.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
kare

Post by kare »

I have sometimes been thinking of translating some of the stuff. Well, I quickly translated the lock stuff for you.

http://koti.welho.com/kpietil4/project/kuusessa2.htm

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Hi Kare,

I would be nice to know about this tempory GTE Cabrio conversion.
as far as I know you this will be not the endproduct.
Nice to see that the resistor became in the right hands.
All the best.

C.
Attachments
GTE CABRIO CONVERSOIN by Kare
GTE CABRIO CONVERSOIN by Kare
romu1.jpg (47.94 KiB) Viewed 10948 times
kare

Post by kare »

This is what remained of 3855 at the time it was sold on ebay a few years back. I offered to buy the wiper motor bracket which was missing from my car and the buyer was kind enough to give it to me for free! This (together with NOS motor bought from Tom Shaughnessy) made it possible to restore the hacked wiper system back to how it used to be.

I liberately used that picture to create WTF-type of confusion among friends reading my "sort of blog".

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
330GT

Post by 330GT »

kare wrote:I have sometimes been thinking of translating some of the stuff. Well, I quickly translated the lock stuff for you.

Best wishes, Kare
Hi Kare,

Interesting solution to that particular lock. I had the same issue and didn't come up with such an elegant way. Instead, I ground off the top of the spring box, assembled the lock and then soldered on a new top to hold the springs in place.
MVC-002X.jpg
MVC-002X.jpg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 10905 times
I wish I had figured out your way.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Well Kare ,
when you start an blog , you must be aware of some comments.
The pic that impressed me the MOST was the solution to make an collar on the alu. wIpper tube , which goes in the
little WIPPER gearbox.
I know all Dutchman still wear wooden shoes.
Just like all Scandinavion people love there trees.
But for those who are not surrounded by trees, there is a small cheap tool to make this collar.
and save some trees .
Dont ask me how its called.
I do not have ANY Techical back ground.

So we can learn Ferrari driving must be not expansive !

Its also only a hobby here.

ciao

C,
Attachments
Kare wooden block
Kare wooden block
putki1.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 10837 times
simple tool to create collars
simple tool to create collars
IMG_2314.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 10837 times
Please do NOT use on brake system
Please do NOT use on brake system
IMG_2312.jpg (45 KiB) Viewed 10835 times
kare

Post by kare »

The tube is steel. The real surprice was how mallable it was; light hammering made it roll over so easily I could hardly believe my eyes.

The one in my car was pretty far gone having been twisted to match another motor - and now back, so I made a replacements using the remains of headlight wipers that came with my Lancia Beta (Swedish specs required headlight washers). I had another problem with the mantle screw that had been installed missing the threads, shearing both the nipple on the motor and the mantle screw itself. I also found a NOS nipple, so everything is in perfect shape now.

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

kare wrote:I have sometimes been thinking of translating some of the stuff. Well, I quickly translated the lock stuff for you.
Best wishes, Kare
Kare
You are in Finland and I am in Australia BUT the humour translated perfectly. That was bloody funny. Thanks for that. The guys that work on their old cars can really appreciate your efforts.
Congratulations on a working ignition lock.
Cheers
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Kare
When you get time please translate the other stuff as well. I really enjoyed reading it. Unfortunately my Finnish is non-existant but I have been to Finland a few times on business and did enjoy my brief time there.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Kare ,
the fact that the wippermotor is fixated only ON the soft firewall (A-wall).
doesnot give me great satisfaction.
I hope you placed before and after a strong ANCHORE- plate to stabelize the heavy motor.
Well it was the first MASS production car of Ferrari.
On all the older models the braket was welded on the steel surrounding of the firewall.
Why did they replaced it ?..... the answer is probebly above.

Its only a hobby here.

ciao
C.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Quiz,

Why is the top female connector so strongly oxidized ?
Its not the high humidity in Finland.

C.
Attachments
cem back side
cem back side
img_6121a.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 10693 times
kare

Post by kare »

I disagree slightly; all tubing is made of steel and stress caused by operation is internal (axial stress between cable vs. tubing). The bracket is there only to support the weight of the motor - 2 kilos maybe - and should be pretty ok unless you drive down the stairs at Trinita dei Monti:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNKrIPz1nMk

Some surface corrosion on some parts of my car must come from the fire. It may also have surrefed occasional condensation; my father-in-law used as a daily driver for 30'000 kms and sometimes used the car in snow too. Most fire damaged parts were replaced at the factory, so the car really mixes 100% perfect parts with some war scars. I'm prefectly comfortable with that; it is an old car after all.

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
250GT

Post by 250GT »

kare wrote:I disagree slightly; all tubing is made of steel and stress caused by operation is internal (axial stress between cable vs. tubing). The bracket is there only to support the weight of the motor - 2 kilos maybe - and should be pretty ok unless you drive down the stairs at Trinita dei Monti:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNKrIPz1nMk

Some surface corrosion on some parts of my car must come from the fire. It may also have surrefed occasional condensation; my father-in-law used as a daily driver for 30'000 kms and sometimes used the car in snow too. Most fire damaged parts were replaced at the factory, so the car really mixes 100% perfect parts with some war scars. I'm prefectly comfortable with that; it is an old car after all.

Best wishes, Kare
Oh, that poor Lancia,

I am absolutly sure that this oxidation is lack of grounding.
The engine stands on rubbermountings to eliminate fibrations.
When starting the way- starter to switch- is very long and only about 8 volt is going through.
the dash is alu. not the best material for grounding.
this connector is going VERY hot every time you start .
Thats the reason why the backside is made out of bakelit.
I had a compleet isolation FIRE of this thread.
A good grounding from Marelli starter to minus of battery will solf this problem.

Only 27 year of expierance here.
ciao

C.
kare

Post by kare »

I agree that poor grounding can cause many unexpected problems including but not limiting to erratic behavior of various electrical components and heat problems. In a front wheel driven car ground current may even run through wheel bearings, which will very quickly ruin them. I don't know if the same can occur through gearbox/rear end in a rear wheel driven car, but the risk of that is not worth taking.

My car had proper ground wires going from battery minus to engine and frame/body, but some idiot had repaired all wires in the front loom (including starter solenoid "wake-up" and main wire to voltage regulator) with soldered Lucas connectors. I would guess that anything can happen when 30 amps is routed via a low quality Lucas connector...
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT