Grandpa's 250 GTE...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

dougseattle

Grandpa's 250 GTE...

Post by dougseattle »

Since Ferrari of Seattle sold several years ago, my GP's service dealer/service guy is gone. My GP bought a 1962 GTE from San Fransisco new, with regular service in Seattle until he sold it in 1974. Original green/gray metallic repainted to white. Sold to a Seattle area dentist, whose son wrecked the car. Last S/N (which I no longer have) registered in Oregon.

Anyone have any ideas about how I might find out the status of his car?
thanks in advance,
doug
330GT

Re: Grandpa's 250 GTE...

Post by 330GT »

dougseattle wrote:Since Ferrari of Seattle sold several years ago, my GP's service dealer/service guy is gone. My GP bought a 1962 GTE from San Fransisco new, with regular service in Seattle until he sold it in 1974. Original green/gray metallic repainted to white. Sold to a Seattle area dentist, whose son wrecked the car. Last S/N (which I no longer have) registered in Oregon.

Anyone have any ideas about how I might find out the status of his car?
thanks in advance,
doug
Contact Bill Preston of the GTE register (Newsletter250GTE at aol.com). You'll need to supply your grandfather's name since you don't know the VIN. Maybe Bill can find a match. I don't know if FoS kept the Grand Prix records, but have you checked with Robert Perina there?
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
kare

Post by kare »

Yes, name would help. Also if you have pictures, that would rule out at least half of the cars.

Herb Griffith is a very good candidate; he owned a white GTE in Seattle for many years.

Best wishes, Kare
kare

Post by kare »

Bump. Names? Pics? Anything? Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
dougseattle

Post by dougseattle »

Thanks everyone. The only picture I remember seeing was a left rear 3/4 view showing the 3 stacked lights. More vivid is the sound of him starting the car in his underground garage...

Herbert T. Griffith
310 West Highland Drive
Seattle
kare

Post by kare »

Griffith's car - serial number 2789 - had several owners in Washington and then went to Portland, Oregon. Last known to be with Timothy J. Chinn, Eugene, OR/USA in late 80's and then nothing...

I have collected over 2000 GTE photos and if you ever find a pic of this car, please let me know. This is one of the cars still missing.

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
dougseattle

Post by dougseattle »

Thanks Kare,
When I have the time, we've got a few dozen boxes of family photos, slides and film to review. Bill Preston sent the info below; the car was not originally white - I know for a fact he had it re-painted a couple of years after purchase. He bought the Ferrari because his best friend had a Gullwing, and his Porsche couldn't keep up!

Thanks again! Despite pangs of nostalgia, unless the car's received due attention, probably not a smart purchase (even if available). I was lucky enough to drive from Seattle to LA around 1966 with he and my nana. Sitting on the hump between them was amazing!
best,
doug

Doug:

Bingo! 250 GTE s/n 2789, a 1961 Series I car, was sold to Herbert T. Griffith, 505 Washington Bldg., Seattle, Washington on 10 Apr 1962 in Hollywood, California. He was the first owner. It was white.

Sometime prior to 1982 it was involved in an accident and received front end damage. It was repaired and repainted silver. I think it probably always had/has had a black interior. It has had five or six owners and the last I knew had 83,482 miles on the odometer.

A man named Timothy J. Chin, 4195 Alder Street, Eugene, Oregon 97405 bought the car from Ron Tonkin, the Ferrari dealer in Portland, fpr $12,500 on 24 March 1986. I think Chin's telephone number is 503-683-7143. He had the car on 19 March 1988 when it was reported to be a "High mileage car in fair condition. Mos tly complete. Rebuilt front suspension, new brakes. Needs bodywork, paint and some light interior work." I have more details on the history of the car if you track it down and decide to buy it.

I have written to Mr. Chin but he has never answered me. Good luck!

Bill Preston
HollisterCutie

Post by HollisterCutie »

Good lead!...You should try to get some pictures up when you get a chance!
Kiss me and i'll see stars ...love me and i'll give them to you!
automotive parts superstore
Ninja Sword
donv

Post by donv »

The first GTE I ever saw was either white, sometime around 1982-83, at Motorsports International, which at the time was a used car lot in Beaverton Oregon specializing in Porsches. I wonder if that was the same car?

At the time, I was 16 years old, and really, really wished I had the money to buy it!
dougseattle

Post by dougseattle »

The dealer in Portland (Beaverton) has had the shop since 1974. I'll call them. Timothy Chin's house shows as being owned by Kenneth Chin, a doctor in Hawaii.

Gotta love the internet!
I'll find pics or film of the car...
dk
donv

Post by donv »

The dealer in Beaverton where I saw it was Motorsports International. Many years ago, the repair shop split off from the sales side, and the repair side kept the name and is still in business (they work on my German cars). I doubt if they'd have any sales records, though.

Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo is most definitely still in business, and still a Ferrari dealer. I doubt if they'd have any records that old, either.
mark

Post by mark »

I remember seeing the car in the early 80's in Eugene. I was a starving student and I used to keep my MGA in a rented garage near a hair styling place. The 250 GTE was sitting in the parking area adjacent, looking very much worse for wear. I remember thinking at the time that it was the most bondo that I had ever seen in one place at one time. Eventually, a for sale sign appeared on the dash and as I recall it was $14,000 or so asking. HUGE money for such a project, especially since we dwelled in perpetual recession in those days. Eugene was and is a town of granola fed, latter day refugees of the summer of love, some are now receiving social security.

Not surprised that it went to Portland.
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello