Cavallino 2010

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdempsey

Re: Cavallino 2010

Post by mdempsey »

Beer mug too heavy to cart around. Will have to plan on winning another one :)
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

mdempsey wrote:Beer mug too heavy to cart around. Will have to plan on winning another one :)
For those not understanding what Mark and Todd are talking about!

Tom Kizer (Jealous)
Attachments
Marks Beer Mug.JPG
Marks Beer Mug.JPG (54.94 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Congratulations Mark! That's another award I would be far prouder of than any concours trophy!!!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
zac

Post by zac »

We will be there with 2169GT, should be a great event. So wonderful of Mr. Barnes and the folks at Cavallino to feature the Gte. I heard a rumor of it from Tom Y. after last years Cavallino. I think we can all thank Parker as well he is a champion of the cause.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
william

Post by william »

I Love that picture!!!!

Tom K. Pack -up the French navi and head south!! should be fun.

Zac, I hope to get the chance to talk to you a little more at the Cavallino then I did at FCA.

"Todd"
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
tyang

Post by tyang »

zac wrote:We will be there with 2169GT, should be a great event. So wonderful of Mr. Barnes and the folks at Cavallino to feature the Gte. I heard a rumor of it from Tom Y. after last years Cavallino. I think we can all thank Parker as well he is a champion of the cause.

Zac
I agree. All of this would not be happening if Parker didn't push it! We're lucky to have him thinking about the 2+2s!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

william wrote:I Love that picture!!!!

Tom K. Pack -up the French navi and head south!! should be fun.

Zac, I hope to get the chance to talk to you a little more at the Cavallino then I did at FCA.

"Todd"
OK guys. I know this is probably the craziest thing I've ever even thought of, but, here goes. By the time Mid-January skates around, I'll probably be under about 4 feet of snow with about 6 inches of ice coating my driveway. In spite of that, I would like to know, "If I were to throw caution to the wind (or blizzard) and drive from Quebec City (3 hours Northeast of Montreal) to Palm Beach, Florida in my Queen (1,750 miles), at what point along the East coast would I most likely drive out of the snow and salt?"

Since Tom Y. is thinking of wintering his car in Savannah, I assume NJ is covered with snow in January. Mark Dempsey will drive his Queen in anything, including mud, so his driving to Cavallino is no clue as to whether there's snow in Maryland in January.

If I were to decide to go, Mark, I want you to know that if you want to drink out of another trophy, you had better bring it with you. I'm taking the next one for Queens.

Also where do people stay? $450+/night for a week sounds at first glance a little above the values emparted to me by my Missouri farmer-father. The only time I've paid more than that was in St-Tropez during August (France closes for vacation and goes to hotels). Are event registration costs commensurate with the hotel costs?

Just exploring ridiculous possibilities.

Tom Kizer
Yale

Post by Yale »

Snow in NYC in January is pretty hit or miss. Last year there was none. I would think Baltimore would safely not have snow in January. I say that because the guy I work with and I flew down to Pensacola to see an artist, a blizzard hit the east coast and the NY airports were closed. I remembered that there was a train station at the BWI airport in Baltimore and we flew there and took the train the rest of the way up. I had to take a taxi out to the airport to get my car, a 1985 Mercedes diesel wagon. The snow had been blowing so hard it blew past the rear rubber gaskets and was in the car! And of course the car was literally covered in glare ice, fun getting the locks open, but it started!
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
zac

Post by zac »

william wrote:

"Todd"
my apologies Todd, I certainly wanted to spend more time talking cars but it seamed as if we kept ending up at oppistie ends of the the table.

Tom K. I say you go for it, not like the car won't make it or isn't capable. If the time comes and you need a ride along mechanic/copilot give me a ring.

There are plenty of inexpensive hotels over by the airport in West Palm Beach which is only a few minutes away from the Breakers. In the past the judges hotel was over there at one of them.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

It looks like it is shaping up to be a plan. Tom K you can stay with me on your way south. Should be on the way. Tom Y. you are welcome again also assuming that you drive from NY. A disclaimer on the pic. It was done (drinking beer from my trophy) out of pure joy, not disrespect, kind of like the Stanley Cup tradition!!! Mark

Zac, if you are driving the car I will be REALLY impressed.

PS Tom K Bring it on!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom K.,

If my car is already down in Savannah, I can always hitch a ride down when you come South by my house!

Hotels in West Palm Beach are cheaper than Monterey. There are tons of options. Like Jim Walker said, he's got some kind of network of B&Bs that are even cheaper.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Thanks, Yale, for the weather information. I don’t see any reason why the weather should prevent, or even significantly slow, a trip from Quebec City to Palm Beach. After all, even salt washes off without damage if it’s not left on too long.

Just the idea of driving my Queen on a 1,750 mile trip down the East Coast of the USA is really exciting. I’m starting to work out the logistics of the trip as a “feasibility study”.

When I mentioned a week of cocktail parties, luncheons, banquets, driving tours, and Ferraris-on-display at the Breakers in Palm Beach and at Mar-a-Lago, my wife’s eyes lit up, even though she’s not a car person (she’s more a people person). If I go, she’s thinking to fly down to meet me there, and maybe even bring along her sister and brother-in-law to share it. She even suggested staying at the Breakers, since it would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience (and she knows what it costs).

I was really disappointed that I couldn’t drive my Queen to Elkhart Lake, so I’m going to make sure she’s in shape for driving to Cavallino, even if I end up not going.

I am really excited by the prospect of doing for Cavallino, what we did for Elkhart Lake. That three day “snow-balling” of Ferraris on the way to FCA2009 was a memorable experience, and one to be repeated.

It would be fun to pick you up in NY, Tom, then drive down to Maryland to meet you, Mark, with your Queen, then on to Savannah to pick up the 330 America, then on to Palm Beach. Maybe we can talk Sam into bringing the C4. Yale, is #6097 chomping at the bit to make a Southern run, now that your ignition switch problems are behind you? At least Cavallino should be significant enough to merit the drive time. My “French GPS” says it’s a 26 hour drive, without gas, toilet, restaurant or any other kind of stops. To me that sounds like a hard 3-day trip.

I’ve been checking all the old Cavallino threads and “Googling” the past events. It truly looks like an experience not to be missed.

I guess I’ll just have to wait for the registration forms to go online to learn what’s really involved.

Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom K,

Hell, if you're going to drive your car from Quebec, I can drive my car from NY in the dead of winter. It is only salt, and it washes off! I've been thinking about it the last couple of days, and as long as there isn't a Nor'easter the day we drive, I see no harm in driving down in Jan. If it's really snotty out for the ride back, I can always leave it in MD and come back in a few weeks to pick it up (Someone in the DC metro area will put my 330 up for a couple weeks/months?)

Here are my thoughts:
Quebec to NY. Tom K can stay at my house. (Monday)
NY to MD, we crash at Mark's house. (Tuesday)
MD to Savannah GA, My sister says we can crash at her house. (Wednesday)
Savannah GA to West Palm Beach. (Thursday)
I would love to arrive Thursday night to make the seminar on Friday at the Breakers.

Tom Y.
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Quebec to NY. Tom K can stay at my house. (Monday)
NY to MD, we crash at Mark's house. (Tuesday)
MD to Savannah GA, My sister says we can crash at her house. (Wednesday)
Savannah GA to West Palm Beach. (Thursday)
I would love to arrive Thursday night to make the seminar on Friday at the Breakers.
Wait, where do I fit in here? The way I figure, I fly into (?), get picked up by (?) and driven to (?)'s house to drink beer from Mark's Trophy. I haven't figured out the rest of the trip yet, but I like the start!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I was originally thinking to arrive in Palm Beach on Tuesday but there's nothing scheduled on Tuesday anyway except track stuff, so is it conceivable to arrive on Wednesday in time to go to the Welcome Reception at the Breakers? Thursday is a pretty big day, with the Lecture Series at the Breakers, the Grand Driving Tour, and the Jet Reception. I would rather do that than travel. I don't see any seminar in the schedule for Friday. Are the Seminar and the Lecture Series the same thing? If so, it's on Thursday.

It would mean advancing Tom's proposed schedule by one day and spending Sunday night at Tom's instead of Monday night, Monday night at Mark's, Tuesday night at Tom's sister's house in Savannah and arriving Wednesday afternoon in Palm Beach. Admittedly, I haven't looked at the various mileages yet but it can't be far from an even split of travel times.

I would plan to leave Palm Beach on Monday so as to attend the events at Mar-a-Lago on Sunday. That would give me 5 nights and 4 days in Palm Beach.

Tom, (Wilson, that is), I'm reasonably sure that we can find somewhere along that 1,700 mile stretch of road to pick you up. With all those 2+2s we'll certainly have room for you and luggage.

Still waiting to hear some sort of noise out of Sam Hallowell and Yale - are you there? Anybody else up for it?

Tom Kizer