Cavallino 2010

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

TOMKIZER

Re: Cavallino 2010

Post by TOMKIZER »

BT wrote:I just returned from the Maranello Madness trackday at PBIR. Only one vintage Ferrari there (a red 250 GTE). Last night on the way to a little car gathering I had a breakdown. It turned out to be OOF (Out of Fuel)... Sometimes I amaze myself with stupidity...

Nice garage Tom! I looked over the race deck web pages until I found an example of the floor pattern that I liked, then I spent about 20 hours goofing around with the various patterns until I came up with a good one that used just short of a multiple of 40 of each color tile. Having the parking spaces outlined is a classy and clean look to me. Thanks for the compliments, I'm looking forward to January.

BT
Thanks, Bill. My tile company sold me split boxes with no penalty, but I bought a few spares of each anyway. I'm looking forward to January also.

Mark, yesterday is the first time the Ferrari has been on the hoist. Since I installed the lift all by myself, my wife's car was the first one to go up on the lift. My mama didn't raise no dummies.

I took the Ferrari up SLOOOOOOWLY to test and verify my designed-in clearances and my homemade upper limit switch which cuts lift power one inch above the lock where the "upper car" will sit. When it cuts off, I just bleed the pressure to let it lower onto the lock. That carefully adjusted lock position provides 2 inches of clearance from the upper car to the ceiling and 2 inches from the lower car to the lift. The Ferrari and the Mercedes 230SL are almost exactly the same height. The Ferrari side window "tumble-home" clears the ceiling beam on the side by 2 inches as well. I would have tested the Mercedes on the lift but it's not running. I've been too busy on the garage and the Ferrari to fix it. When I finish with the Ferrary underbody, I'll winch the Mercedes on the lift and back the Ferrari under it with the nose sticking out between the lift and the garage door. I've still got a little underhood work I would like to do before leaving for Florida.

Things are working out well for the Cavallino trip planning. I've got a Club Cab 4x4 lined up to tow the trailer as far as Maryland. The Cavallino Snowball Run is going to be a fun trip.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
250GT

Post by 250GT »

TOMKIZER wrote:
BT wrote:I just returned from the Maranello Madness trackday at PBIR. Only one vintage Ferrari there (a red 250 GTE). Last night on the way to a little car gathering I had a breakdown. It turned out to be OOF (Out of Fuel)... Sometimes I amaze myself with stupidity...

Nice garage Tom! I looked over the race deck web pages until I found an example of the floor pattern that I liked, then I spent about 20 hours goofing around with the various patterns until I came up with a good one that used just short of a multiple of 40 of each color tile. Having the parking spaces outlined is a classy and clean look to me. Thanks for the compliments, I'm looking forward to January.

BT
Thanks, Bill. My tile company sold me split boxes with no penalty, but I bought a few spares of each anyway. I'm looking forward to January also.

Mark, yesterday is the first time the Ferrari has been on the hoist. Since I installed the lift all by myself, my wife's car was the first one to go up on the lift. My mama didn't raise no dummies.

I took the Ferrari up SLOOOOOOWLY to test and verify my designed-in clearances and my homemade upper limit switch which cuts lift power one inch above the lock where the "upper car" will sit. When it cuts off, I just bleed the pressure to let it lower onto the lock. That carefully adjusted lock position provides 2 inches of clearance from the upper car to the ceiling and 2 inches from the lower car to the lift. The Ferrari and the Mercedes 230SL are almost exactly the same height. The Ferrari side window "tumble-home" clears the ceiling beam on the side by 2 inches as well. I would have tested the Mercedes on the lift but it's not running. I've been too busy on the garage and the Ferrari to fix it. When I finish with the Ferrary underbody, I'll winch the Mercedes on the lift and back the Ferrari under it with the nose sticking out between the lift and the garage door. I've still got a little underhood work I would like to do before leaving for Florida.

Things are working out well for the Cavallino trip planning. I've got a Club Cab 4x4 lined up to tow the trailer as far as Maryland. The Cavallino Snowball Run is going to be a fun trip.

Tom Kizer

Tom, BEWARE to place a nitrocell. painted car under an other car.
Even a lady 230SL will leak a bit.
those stains are almost impossible to wip or polish away.

only a tip
ciao

C.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Cornelius,
I bought and installed styrofoam panels (like coffe cup styrofoam) to fill the gap between the ramps. That will protect the car on the bottom. They are inexpensive, they take two minutes to install and remove, and they weigh almost nothing.
Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

TOMKIZER wrote:Cornelius,
I bought and installed styrofoam panels (like coffe cup styrofoam) to fill the gap between the ramps. That will protect the car on the bottom. They are inexpensive, they take two minutes to install and remove, and they weigh almost nothing.
Tom Kizer
Hi Tom,

Isn't styrofoam a petroleum product? I know gasoline eats right through the stuff, and oil might take a little longer.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

OOPS!!!!!!!

I should have thought of that. My Mercedes doesn't leak coffee. It leaks everything else - antifreeze, oil, brake fluid, etc.

I'll keep the 35 inch by 24 inch styrofoam panels and cover them with something impermeable. Would it work to glue tarpaulin sheets around the styrofoam? What's impermeable to gasoline, brake fluid and oil? I guess I need to look on the internet.

Thanks for the observation.

Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Maybe I should split this topic, but if you google "oil absorbent mat" you'll find lots of choices. There's also this stuff:
http://www.absorbentsonline.com/abzorboilmat.htm

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Tom Please post some pictures of your limit switch I need to make one for my lift M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Michael Bayer wrote:Tom Please post some pictures of your limit switch I need to make one for my lift M
Michael,

I'm putting this topic back on Cavallino 2010 by answering your questions in the old Installing a lift thread that you started long ago. Sorry for the distraction, guys.

Tom Kizer
BT

Post by BT »

Just to keep this off topic, there are plastic drip pans that you can buy to keep the fluids from damaging the lower vehicle. Usually they are sold at the same place you get the lift, but I know Greg Smith equipment sells them.
Check it here:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Pos ... s-s/56.htm
You can also get the jack trays, sliding jacks, and other accessories there. I bought some rolling oil cans from this company. Very aggressive pricing, and quick shipping.
You can call them to verify the width of the pit that they are made for.
BT
1967 Ginetta G20
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Who has towed or trailered a car from Canada to the U.S. for a car show, and what's involved at the border? I've studied the U.S. Customs web site and have concluded that if I follow their instructions, I'm better to stay at home or drive the car through the snowstorms to get to Cavallino. It can't be as complicated as they make it seem.

Any advice from those who towed a car to a U.S. car show?

Tom Kizer
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Unload it a mile before, drive it across along with the tow vehicle and trailer and then reload everything.

This reminds me of a story I heard many years ago. A farmer living near the Canadian border in Maine was taking some geese to a friend. He was told that he couldn't take the geese across the border without a lot of paperwork. He shooed them out of the truck, drove across the border and they flew across when he called.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I could come up from my house, wait on the U.S. side of the border, stay with your Ferrari while you go back to get your truck and trailer!

It's almost like clock work, but we had snow flurries at my house today! I took my car out for a test drive, and everything is in working order. I even have some heat!

I've decided to drive my car down to Maryland in the next several days to beat some of the snow. I'll park it at Richard Garre's shop until mid January when I come down with the rest of the gang to complete the trip to Cavallino!

Now, all I have to do it find my weather window!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

You guys are no help at all. Like you all, I talk to my car all the time, but it obeys about as well as my cats, so I don't expect to be able to drive across the border and then have my car follow me when I yell, "come".

I think I've finally figured out the U.S. Customs and Border Protection rules. Because I'm a non-resident, I have to submit a completed EPA form saying my 40 year-old car is exempt from emission laws, and a Dept of Transportation form saying it is exempt from the safety standards, and declaring that I will re-export when I leave the U.S. in less than a year - and provide my passport number as a way of tracking me.

If that doesn't work, maybe I'll just find a secure parking close to the frontier on the Canadian side, unload the car, and drive to the U.S. abandoning the truck and trailer on the Canadian side.

I'll figure something out.

Tom Kizer
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Hope it isn't a problem that I added your namme to the 'No Fly' terrorist list. I would hat for that little prank to cause any issues!
330GT

Post by 330GT »

TOMKIZER wrote:Who has towed or trailered a car from Canada to the U.S. for a car show, and what's involved at the border? I've studied the U.S. Customs web site and have concluded that if I follow their instructions, I'm better to stay at home or drive the car through the snowstorms to get to Cavallino. It can't be as complicated as they make it seem.

Any advice from those who towed a car to a U.S. car show?

Tom Kizer
Actually, the FerrariChat vintage section would be more likely to have someone who has been through the process.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605