Cavallino 2010

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Fred

Re: Cavallino 2010

Post by Fred »

TOMKIZER wrote:Who has towed or trailered a car from Canada to the U.S. for a car show, and what's involved at the border? I've studied the U.S. Customs web site and have concluded that if I follow their instructions, I'm better to stay at home or drive the car through the snowstorms to get to Cavallino. It can't be as complicated as they make it seem.

Any advice from those who towed a car to a U.S. car show?

Tom Kizer
Tom,

I have taken a race car across the border many times. The race car usually has no title or registration and I have never had a problem. They will ask you what your purpose is for entering the U.S. Just tell them you are going on vacation and they will ask you how long. What they are mainly concerned about is any tax ramifactions if you are selling the car in the U.S. or are going to leave anything in the U.S. such as tires, waste oil etc... At every race that I have done in Canada, whether a professional race or an amature race, the series usually posts a bond for all of the competitors. In 17 years of racing in Canada the border guards have NEVER wanted to see any paperwork regarding the bonds.

I suggest that you make a list of everything that you are bringing into the U.S. and present it at the border. The race series always advises the competitors to do this. Sometimes they keep the list and most of the time they just hand it back.

In June I did a race at Mosport and had Zero issues at either border. We entered Canada at the Thousand Islands border and came back to the U.S. at the Niagra Falls border. Each crossing took less than 2 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Fred Pignataro
1972 365 GTC4
Fred Pignataro
365 GTC 4 SN 15499
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I suspect that I am being overly concerned. I'll put all my paperwork together just in case, but I'll also follow the advice that I found in one of the travel web sites. It said something like, "Just answer the questions asked simply and honestly and don't volunteer any other information."

If they dotted every "i" and crossed every "t" according to the rules and regulations of all the U.S. agencies, they wouldn't let anyone in.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

What is the deal with tickets for the Cavallino Classic? I can't seem to find anything online for someone who is not showing a car. Do they need to be purchased in advance? How about other events such as the talks or the Sunday show at Mira Lago? I have the flight and the hotel, but want to make sure I have stuff to do when I get there.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Tom, that's an easy one. Just finish your car in time for Cavallino (and I mean Cavallino 2010 not 2100) and enter it. That way you get the tickets with the car entry.
Good luck.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

How much do I have to finish? I still have some room in my carry on luggage...
william

Post by william »

Hi Tom,

no need for advance tickets for the Concours.. tickets at the door.... Jet reception and yacht hop will need to be purchased in advance.

best bet is to call the Cavallino for these tickets and the Mar A Largo... Cavallino # 561-994-1345 don't wait to long if you want to attend the jet reception.. Yacht hop is the same night as the GTE party.... see you there!!!!
William
1979 Avanti s/n Rqb-3016
1962 GTE s/n 3447
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider 1495*09775
sam231

Post by sam231 »

I'm commin'!!!!!! I emailed Tom yesterday, am flying down Friday and staying in Delray with our daughter. Signed up for the party and rarin' to go! Look forward to seeing everyone.
Sam :lol:
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Ok, I called Cavallino and found that if you want tickets in advance, you can download a form at http://www.cavallino.com/cavallino_2010 ... no_cache=1& . It looks like (and is listed as) a car registration form, but it is for people without cars as well. This appears to be the only place to get Jet Reception and Mar-a-Lago tickets.

So here is what I know is going on. Any suggestions of what not to do or other things that are better?

Tuesday
Private Test Day at Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR) 9:00 to 4:00 - $795 per driver

Wednesday
Private Test Day at PBIR 9:00 to 4:00 - $795 per driver
Welcome Reception in the evening - Free to Registrants

Thursday
PBIR Track Event all day - $30 (Is anyone tracking their car? Rides in Ferrari's are being offered for charity)
Lecture Series (3 "classroom studies" on 3 cars followed by detailed analysis) at the Breakers 9:00 to 12:00 - Free
International Advisory Council for Preservation fot he Ferrari Automobile (IAC/PFA) Winter Meeting at the Breakers (I assume it is free)
Ferrari Tour at 2:00 (following a lunch for participants) ending with early entry to Jet Reception - $50 (anybody looking for a passsenger?)
Jet Reception from 5:00 to 7:00 - $125

Friday
PBIR Track Event all day - $30 (Is anyone tracking their car? Rides in Ferrari's are being offered for charity)
Showboats Yacht Hop from 5:00 to 7:00 - $100
TomYang.net Party at Ron Gaeta's home at 6:00 to ??? - Priceless (Please RSVP to Ron at rbgdvm@sbcglobal.net )

Saturday
Concorso d'Elegance at the Breakers all Day - $50
Awards Reception and Dinner in the evening - $150

Sunday
Classic Sports Sunday and brunch at Mar-a-Lago all day - $250 (is a cheaper ticket available without the bruch?)
Presentation of Classic Marque Awards and Palm Beach Cups at Mar-a-Lago
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Fred wrote:
TOMKIZER wrote:Who has towed or trailered a car from Canada to the U.S. for a car show, and what's involved at the border? I've studied the U.S. Customs web site and have concluded that if I follow their instructions, I'm better to stay at home or drive the car through the snowstorms to get to Cavallino. It can't be as complicated as they make it seem.

Any advice from those who towed a car to a U.S. car show?

Tom Kizer
Tom,

I have taken a race car across the border many times. The race car usually has no title or registration and I have never had a problem. They will ask you what your purpose is for entering the U.S. Just tell them you are going on vacation and they will ask you how long. What they are mainly concerned about is any tax ramifactions if you are selling the car in the U.S. or are going to leave anything in the U.S. such as tires, waste oil etc... At every race that I have done in Canada, whether a professional race or an amature race, the series usually posts a bond for all of the competitors. In 17 years of racing in Canada the border guards have NEVER wanted to see any paperwork regarding the bonds.

I suggest that you make a list of everything that you are bringing into the U.S. and present it at the border. The race series always advises the competitors to do this. Sometimes they keep the list and most of the time they just hand it back.

In June I did a race at Mosport and had Zero issues at either border. We entered Canada at the Thousand Islands border and came back to the U.S. at the Niagra Falls border. Each crossing took less than 2 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Fred Pignataro
1972 365 GTC4

+1 Everything Fred has said about taking a U.S. race car to Canada and back is true and I have done the exact same thing. I always made a reasonably detailed list of major items in the trailer with a few generalities, such as "tools and miscellaneous spare parts", to present at the border on entering the country. Sometimes I was able to get them to stamp it at the border, sometimes not.

At least getting back into the U.S., they never seemed to care very much. Maybe the two kids in car seats in the back of the tow vehicle helped keep me off the suspicious list but I don't think so!
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

John,

Your story of the two kids in the back seat remind me of the old story of the guy who kept crossing the border with a wheelbarrow full of straw. The guards always searched the straw and let him go, not realizing that he was smuggling wheelbarrows.

The border guards probably thought that because you had kids, you wouldn't be smuggling anything and didn't realize you were really smuggling Canadian kids into the U.S.

Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

First leg of the trip is completed! I drove the Ferrari 250 miles to RIchard Garre's shop without incident, but man it was Cooooold this morning! With temps around 20 degrees F, the 330 America was slow to warm up, but at least there wasn't a lot of slushy, salty, slop on the roads. I left at about 6 am so any slush on the roads was still frozen, and by the time it warmed up, I was south of the previous snowfall.

The first 250 mile leg to Cavallino for my Ferrari is complete!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

The only way into the Mar-a-Lago event is through the $250 ticket. Is anybody going?
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

I've signed up for Mar-a-Lago with my wife and two of her family. I figured, "what the hell", the American dollar is dropping and eventually won't be worth anything anyway. I might as well spend it there instead of converting it to Canadian to spend here.

Tom Kizer
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom Wilson wrote:The only way into the Mar-a-Lago event is through the $250 ticket. Is anybody going?
I'll be heading back north on Sunday.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I am thinking about going because if I told my wife and mother in law that I had a chance to go and passed, they would freak. Not that they are interested in the cars, but they want photos of the house...