330 America (#5061) SOLD

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

330 America (#5061) SOLD

Post by 330 America »

To those who've been on this site several years, they've likely read some of my posts regarding the ride that has been Ferrari ownership. I joined this site about 6 years ago after buying #5061 with the intention of taking the wife/kids out for ice cream on weekends in a "driver" 2+2 Ferrari. A present to myself for my 40th birthday, this Ferrari has taken me down a memorable road over the past 5+ years. The "driver" car I thought I was buying actually had experienced a difficult prior life (rust, some minor accident damage) and I was confronted with the choice of: (1) re-body the car, (2) restore the car, or (3) do nothing. While the majority of those on this site who gave opinions urged option #3, I opted for the long/painful road associated with option #2.

The last time I drove the car was 2004 and it will be the last as I sold the car this week to a wonderful chap in the UK about my age who I spent the day with at the Goodwood Revival at the end of September. Tony will give 5061 a great home and appreciates the $175,000 in restoration I've invested in this car since 2004 (that's not a typo).

I've taken a lot of criticism for investing this kind of money into this car -- but from my perspective, I had little choice as a true vintage (Italian) car enthusiast. You do this kind of job right -- or not at all. I would venture to say that 5061 has better paint, panel gap fitment, and undercoating than when it left the factory. For those dying to know the selling price -- I'll only hint that it was well north of $200,000 and very close to my $250K asking price. So for Bill at the 250GTE Newsletter printing low-ball prices every month on these cars -- touche! I'm also blessed to have received the final interior by the late (great) Frank Segretto and that counts for something (thanks Tom for helping Frank with the front buckets).

I want to take a moment to also point out something to all Ferrari 2+2 owners who take a continual beating from a few (but not all) Berlinetta owners out there. No car company can survive on building 20-50 competition cars each year -- and neither would have Ferrari in the 1960's without developing a line of road-going cars. Sure, we'd all like to own a Competizioni SWB -- but the price is astronomical and the supply is few. The 2+2 cars (particularly the Columbo-based 250's) helped Ferrari establish a dealership network that would prove vital in making it the company it is today -- as there were actually cars to be sold beyond special order Berlinetta's or Spyder's for European royalty.

As a long-time owner/racer of rare Porsche's, I too used to joke about people buying Boxters or Cayenne's as not being "real Porsche's," and now Porsche launches the Panamera. Though I've owned/raced many rare Porsche's including a GT3 Supercup belonging to 2003 champion Frank Stippler, few guys can attain these cars so I can't really call the other cars in Porsche's line "not real?" The fact is, not everyone wants to drive to work in a stiffly sprung GT3 or Carrera RS like I do. So while I question whether a real sports car has cup holders and GPS navigation -- tens of thousands of people buy these cars every year and it keeps Porsche going (at least for now).

Again, there are a lot of guys on this site with GTE's, 330GT 2+2 or even 365 2+2's -- and I encourage you not to think of your cars as "less desirable" than your Berlinetta counterparts. The fact is, with my 330 America leaving US shores on Tuesday I'm now left with a garage of 2-seaters (Porsche, DeTomaso, OSCA, Ginetta). The first thing my two sons asked is "....dad, how are we going to go to car events on the weekends without a back seat?" My wife/kids can no longer share my passion or listen to the V-12 symphony with only two seats in my other cars.

The answer? For those that can afford it -- have one of each (Berlinetta, Coupe). Though I love my Berlinetta's -- they make for a lonely drive when I have a family of 4 and only 1 spare seat. And after all -- isn't sharing this affection for Italian motoring part of what makes these more than cars? Now, I've got my OSCA Zagato to tend get on the road and continue the love affair.

OK, I'm done now -- thanks for listening.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
Tom Wilson

Re: 330 America (#5061) SOLD

Post by Tom Wilson »

Wow Steve, it's hard to imagine that you are losing 5061! You have put a lot of time, energy and love (in addition to the money) into that car. It must be sad to see it go. I hope you will stick around the site and keep us updated on the OSCA. Maybe we can help you with something.

I totally agree with your opinion of the GTE and am glad to see it in print. The GTE is as real a Ferrari as any other; just ask Enzo who used one (or two or three) as his daily driver! Some people don't like them, but I guess that just helps to keep the price of parts down.

Good luck on your next adventure.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Steve
Thanks for sharing. Very nicely put. I have a C4 and love it. I can go with the Daytona boys all day long both on the twisty stuff and in the straights. In fact I love passing them in 3rd gear at 100+ and changing gears as I do so. The V12 music is great. So I do NOT have a 2+2 inferiority complex. In fact I think they are better cars because they are more flexible. You can drive with just 2 people and no luggage OR you can drive 4 up (the adults must be small and the other 2 must be kids) with piles of luggage no problem Try that with a berlinetta ? There is a nice photo on this site of Mark Dempsey and his Queen with heaps of luggage after a trip. Try that in a Daytona. And I have chased Queens pretty fast on windy roads and they are fast with a competant driver. Well north of the speed limit. Do you REALLY need to go faster than TWICE the speed limit ??
Having said that I too would LOVE an alloy 275GTB, or a 250LM, or a comp SWB etc but I can only dream. So for now my C4 gives me great joy.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
kare

Post by kare »

Thank you for restoring 5061. I am very happy that not all people think they are just scrap metal.

FWIW, having recently inspected the first m/57 TdF, I would not swap my car for it (money aside). It is a beautiful racing car, of course, but a proper 2+2 is so much more!

Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
Besters

Post by Besters »

The 2+2 are ones of the most interesting Sportscars - even as Ferraris, but also as Astons, Lambos or Maseratis.
I swaped my first Lusso for my GTE in 2004 - NOT for the Money, becuase I had to pay plus (GT/L was wracked). Only for The family - but I love this decision. Today I can take a trip with my wife and my two children - That´s worth it. The handling is quite as good as the handling of the GT/L was.
For the last 4 Years I´ve invested much money into the GTE (not as much as You did, Steve), but I think, it´s worth every penny of it. And I will hold her - as long as I can.
Regards
Markus

´61 250GTE #2281GT ; ´80 308GT4 #15112 ; ´83 208 turbo GTB #46599 ; ´85 Mondial 3.2 #59769
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Guys - thanks for the kind words and I echo everything you've written. The guy that bought the 330 America did it precisely because he loves classic cars, but also loves his 6 and 8 year old kids and wants to involve them in this passion by being able to share both passions (family + vintage cars) together.

My OSCA GTZ is a car I've really become attached to and I almost laugh at how inexpensive the parts are when compared to a Ferrari (which is a relief for my wallet). The engine is hand-built by Maserati, but many interior parts are shared with Lancia, Alfa, and Fiat. It's a Zagato (which is sexy/rare) and the performance is spectacular for a 1961 car (4-wheel disc, independent suspension, 50/50 weight, etc.) Its receiving a diamond-stitch, quilted leather interior now and the rebuilt Zagato seats were finished a few months ago. Pictures forthcoming :)
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)