No need for that Shaughnessy bloke anymore

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

davidoloan

No need for that Shaughnessy bloke anymore

Post by davidoloan »

Part Scanning - You may know about this, but for those who don't, have a look at this http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/ar ... d-parts-1/

Watch the Video - they scan a wrench and the "printer" reproduces a perfect replica in plastic including all seperate or moving parts. It can reproduce the most complex of parts including those made of multiple parts and produces a working model that does not need assembly. Impressive Stuff.
Attachments
3d-printer-leno-470-0709.jpg
3d-printer-leno-470-0709.jpg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 5433 times
David,

1992 BMW M5 3.8
1994 Maserati Ghibli
daffy

Re: No need for that Shaughnessy bloke anymore

Post by daffy »

Bull, your comments on this site has entertained me more than mr. Leno ever will be able to.

keep up Tom you have fans even in little Norway.

dag
shaughnessy wrote:Yes I have to admit Jay Leno is a better comedian than I.

No need for me or my services.
330 GT 2+2 Serie II VIN 8495, 1966
Fiat DINO Coupe 246, 1971
Fiat Ritmo Abarth 1988
ISO Milano Diva 1959
Audi Urquattro 1984
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2006
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

This tool would be super handy if it was cheap to make castings from the plastic prototype. I wish someone could get the cost of making a casting mold down to a few bucks. If the printer printed out a slightly enlarged inverse sand casting instead of a plastic replica, then it could go straight to the foundry and be used to make a real part.

My gut tells me that the guys who write the user interface software for these machines have never worked for Apple, and perhaps their software may not be very user friendly. I've designed my own parts using eMachineShop.com, which is probably one of the easiest CAD tools to learn - and it still takes a while to get stuff right, especially when you are trying to make "exact copies" of things, with very specific tolerances.
kare

Post by kare »

xs10shl wrote:This tool would be super handy if it was cheap to make castings from the plastic prototype. I wish someone could get the cost of making a casting mold down to a few bucks. If the printer printed out a slightly enlarged inverse sand casting instead of a plastic replica, then it could go straight to the foundry and be used to make a real part.
Aluminium silicate (?) is cheaper than Chinese soap. With an appropriate binder it is very easy to make molds out of it and then have them sintered and cast.

The rapid prototyping and especially this scanning of parts is not as easy as it looks. Numerous things must be corrected either my 3D or traditional wax sculpting before you get something you can really use. I wrote my M. Sc. on this stuff...
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I am currently making a silicone mold of the sun visor clips for late Queens, C4s, 365GT4s and 400 series cars. This technology has been around for 20 years and it is getting better all the time. I even have access to a diret metal deposition machine which makes products directly from stainless steel, titanium etc. Fancy but expensive. I am also looking at making the shiny silver plastic cresent shaped part that fits over the seat hinges on the C4s, 365GT4s and 400 cars if people are interested.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.