330 GTC hood latch

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

todaxyz

330 GTC hood latch

Post by todaxyz »

Greetings,
My 67 330 GTC hood latch cable broke so need to replace it. Got some great advice over at Ferrarichat on sources to replace the cable, but not on how to replace. Attached picture shows my hood latch (from mirror reflection). I've come to understand that the stranded cable is an emergency hood release while the solid cable towards the bottom is the one that broke. As for replacing it, I assume I should remove the latch via the 4 nuts in the picture. The latch should drop down and allow me access to releasing both cables. Would this be the correct procedure? Seems pretty straight forward, but thought I'd throw this out there to see if others might give me some advice before I start.
Thanks, Tom
Attachments
hood latch 1.JPG
hood latch 1.JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 6630 times
tyang

Re: 330 GTC hood latch

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

First off, welcome to the site.

So your hood is still latched, or have you release it? Once you remove the latch mechanism with those four bolt/nut combinations, it should be pretty easy. If your hood is still latched...

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

Tom,
Yes, the hood is open so no worries there. As for the 4 bolt/nut combo, I'll do that, but it's odd that I can't see the tops of the bolts as the latch seems to be right up against the body with no room for the tops of the bolts>

tom
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

I can't seem to picture in my mind how the GTC hood catch looks. Is there a cover plate?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Another thing I always ask a GTC owner is if they are aware of the front suspension recall by the factory:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari663.htm

If yours is not repaired, get it welded soon!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Greg Brendel

Post by Greg Brendel »

by tyang on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:12 pm

"Another thing I always ask a GTC owner is if they are aware of the front suspension recall by the factory:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari663.htm

If yours is not repaired, get it welded soon"

It seems like Ferrari should cover the cost of this repair since its a factory safety recall, no matter how old the car is. Not so according to the dealer. I remember toyota replacing my gas tank on a 20 year old Landcruiser due to a safety recall. I know comparing Toyota to Ferrari is comparing apples to oranges but isn't the law the same?
tyang

Post by tyang »

It seems like Ferrari should cover the cost of this repair since its a factory safety recall, no matter how old the car is. Not so according to the dealer. I remember toyota replacing my gas tank on a 20 year old Landcruiser due to a safety recall. I know comparing Toyota to Ferrari is comparing apples to oranges but isn't the law the same?
I think the only time Ferrari wants to see a VIntage Car is if you're willing to pay to get the Classique Certification!

I heard the reason for the recall was someone was killed in a GTC when the shock mount broke and jammed the steering back in the 60s.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

Thanks for the factory bulletin alert. I'll have to check that out on my car. There is no cover for the hood latch Tom. I removed the latch today and the four nuts actually are all tied in together in a slot just above where the latch is. This allows right to left movement adjustment when aligning it to the catch on the hood.
tyang

Post by tyang »

The rest of the hood latch repair should be pretty easy provided the sheath to your cables is in good shape. Sometimes the stranded cable frays inside the sheathing. I've replaced the solid wire sheathing with bicycle control cable that has a teflon coating on the inside. It might be overkill, but the regular cable is readily available from parts regular parts suppliers. Don't forget to grease everything up before putting it all together.

Here are some links to the solid wire replacement:
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari127.htm
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari80.htm

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

Excellent advice! Thanks for the links too.
Tom