The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

abrent

Re: The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Post by abrent »

bugger - you made it. I had the bags packed, permission from "she who must be obeyed" - plane ticket, the lot. Guess I'll have to stay here then.
GlassGTB

Post by GlassGTB »

It was fun reading this thread! For a minute there I thought I was going to miss out on seing the world's most famous 330 America at Cavallino. Being that this year we are honoring the early 2+2s the show would not have been the same without your car Tom. That said, you guys are crazy to drive across this country in a bunch of old Italian cars! I am worried about my hour drive to the Breakers in sub 80 degree weather tomorrow! Glad to hear that you all made it and I will see you all at the lecture! 8)
tyang

Post by tyang »

After a good night sleep, I can recap what happened yesterday.

Like I said, we took everyone's advice and pushed through. I managed to plug up the one brake line leading to the caliper by using some lead from my hammer. I blocked off the hard line right at the flex hose since the fire burned through the rubber flex line. When I got out on the the highway and applied the brakes, the car would obviously pull hard left. The plan was to have Mark lead with a a safe distance in his 365GT 2+2, and have Tom Kizer in his Queen following. We started at 55mph, but soon was up to 65. We kept out wagon train in the far right lane so I would have an exit strategy, and was on high alert for the whole trip down. Only a couple of times did I get a little anxious when merging traffic would try to get into my lane.

On our last gas stop 77 miles out, I noticed my fuel pump was not working as well as it had, but I crossed my fingers it would continue clicking, but after fueling, we stalled. The guys helped me push the car back to safe area, and we found perhaps a ground issue might have occurred on the pump body, but once the car fired up again, we dashed down to Bill's house in the dark.

North Palm Beach traffic was a little busy, but we managed not to make any panic stops, and we finally after over 9 hours on the road!

I have not even looked at the car because I have to head to the Breakers to make this lecture!

Whatever the case, we're here!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Being in Dempsey's slip stream was all the omph you need to get to Florida! Congratulations guys, you provided us with vicarious thrills.
Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

The lecture at Cavallino come off without a hitch, and it was a good time by all.

Todd (William) Hudkins had a spare fuel pump rebuild kit which he packed in his suitcase and brought it to Florida from Indiana, so I at least have a chance of sorting out my fuel issues. Greg Jones had rubber brake lines in stock at his shop in Stewart Florida, so I met him tonight to grab some brake parts.

As of tonight, the fuel pump is rebuilt and reinstalled, and the brakes I'll address tomorrow. WIth any luck, I'll get to the lawn at Cavallino on Saturday!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Well done to you guys for making the effort! I hope that you all get recognised for your efforts at Cavallino. Would be nice to have been there this year getting some sunshine... We look forward to seeing plenty of photos!

Andrew
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
BT

Post by BT »

I'm not going to spoil the story, but Tom, Rich and Mark are on their way back north. Not the most relaxing trip, but it will be a lasting memory and achievement.
BT
1967 Ginetta G20
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Well, like Bill said, Tom, Rich, and Mark are gone. I'm still here in Palm Beach until Tuesday, to relax and spend some time with my wife before putting her on a plane and heading the Queen towards home. That's good, since I have to wait to receive an emergency care package from Geoff Ohland on Tuesday AM anyway. He's sending a fuel pump repair kit and a carb needle (he doesn't have a complete needle and seat kit). My mechanical pump can't seem to keep up with the engine needs at idle and low speeds and it tends to lean out and stall. If I flip on the electric pump, the front carb floods due to a leaky needle and seat and the engine loads up. So far, it runs fine at speeds above 25 mph. I'll wait for Geoff's care package then hit the road on Tuesday.

On Saturday, Mark and I were the last two to be judged in our class, so we waited without food, drink or toilet for 4 1/2 hours, missed the buffet lunch and would not have eaten at all if our wives hadn't brow-beaten the Breakers staff into making us a carryout lunch which we ate sitting on the grass after the judges finished. For me, it was worth it. I think the judges felt guilty for making us wait in the sun until 1:30 for our judging, so they gave me a platinum at the banquet. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.

Since my wife, her sister, and brother-in-law flew down to be with me, I took them to Mar-a-Lago for Classic Sports Sunday. All we had to get around town was my Queen, so we took that and parked it on the lawn. The judges came by, asked me a couple of questions and, later in the afternoon, gave me a silver platter for Excellence in Class. Fortunately, I am so sun-burned, nobody noticed how flushed and embarrassed I was to accept the prize. Thank you Mark for deciding to skip Mar-a-Lago. I won't talk about others' prizes but this bunch of vintage guys did well. I'll let them pass their news along.

I just heard from Mark Dempsey. He's stopped in South Carolina for the night, on his way home to Maryland. Tom is allegedly approaching Savannah, according to Mark.

I expect and hope Tom Yang will post an update tonight.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Congratulations to both Mark and Tom to bringing home some hardware, but let's not forget Zac and Scott with their GTE!

I've rented a truck and trailer and I'm slowly making my way home with my car. My 330 made it to the lawn at Cavallino, but the brakes need some serious attention. I've decided the best place for this work is my home and at my leisure, so I was lucky to find a truck and trailer on Sunday to head back. Bill and Lisa Tracy were very generous in offering their home to us, not only to sleep in, but also to use as a repair shop! I owe them big time.

I've already managed to write some posts in the the truck while Rich drove, and I hope to have a couple more posted in a couple days. Hopefully in a couple of days or weeks, the struggle and suffering I endured will subside, and I will only have a great story to tell. Besides the mechanical difficulties, I had a great time. Ron Gaeta and his family threw a fantastic party for the Vintage crowd, and I hope you all had a great time as well.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Conratulations Tom, Tom, and Mark! You made Enzo proud by driving all the way embarassing all those wusses who trailered their cars. They should create a special elite class for cars driven long distances to events. What a great show and weekend! Tom K. and Mark, you did not miss anything by not having lunch on the front lawn. The wind was so bad you had to drench your salad with dressing to prevent it from flying off the plate! And it was cold! Sorry you guys did not have much of a chance to roam the grounds, but people watching was fun too. I saw a guy about 6'4" all dressed in black, with long black hair and a bunch of gold chains around his neck walking around. Must have been a rock star or something.

Thank you everyone, especially Tom Y., for a wonderful time! :D
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
lashss

Post by lashss »

Tom, well done...great effort. I wish I could've joined you.

Didn't BT offer to swap for his Ginetta so you could drive home? :)

Good to hear that you and the car will be safe at home soon.

Lashdeep
BT

Post by BT »

I would not offer to subject Tom and Rich to such a long drive in the Ginetta. That is against several UN resolutions regarding basic human rights and protection from undue cruelty! Plus they would only be able to tote along a camera and one grocery bag, no room for the luggage. I thought they might be stopping in NC for some furniture since they have the space with the truck.
BT
1967 Ginetta G20
250GT

Post by 250GT »

An interesting question could be how a fire can occur on the brakeline ?
Is this a mysterry?
No I dont think so.
I have seen a lot of those burning brakesystem on downhill/mountian stages on classicrallyes
The marchalls on the time control in the valley had always several basket of water standing by.
The piston was stuck on Toms car ,that means the rotor is getting REDhot but at the sametime the DOT-4 fluid is getting to boil
When the car was parked at the fareway of his sister the "cooling" of the rubberbrakeline was gone,
So I expect the ruber line was perforated by the boiling DOT-4 and make a nice oilspray on the REDHOT rotor.
so the fire could be started.
To clear is why the piston didnot return, Well this is almost allways produced by water in the braking system.
I would recommend to check this before refilling, after repair.

Any other explanations will be interesting.

C.
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

Well FYI I made it with no issues at all at 1400 ET. Easy drive. Checked with TY several times to make sure he was moving along. Spoke with him at 1742 ET and he was crossing into Maryland on the Beltway. Making time and moving on.

Yes I think the fire occurred when the brake fluid boiled and the line burst spraying atomized brake fluid on super hot caliper. I examined the hose and that's what it looked like to me. It did not look like it burned through. Not enough time for that. PS it is also kinda what I do for a livin.

Great trip, great friends, great beer, great time. And a great story to top it off.

Also we got to see lots of what Tom Kizer's wife says are 'original cars with restored wife's That is fun too!!!
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

I think the photo of a nearly 50 year old car with 3 working brakes and an iffy fuel pump being DRIVEN next to a brand new car on a TRAILER says it all. If you have some ingenuity, gaffer tape, an old wire coat hanger, a screw driver etc and a NEVER SAY DIE attitude you can get these old cars going. What a great story to tell the grand kids. Of course they will think old pop have lost his marbles because they know that cars cannot be fixed except with a new "unit" from the factory. Great story Tom and Co. I was willing you guys on.
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.