The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Post by Tom Wilson »

Way to go guys! The long talked about journey is finally underway. I will keep an eye out for the caravan as I step out of the airport...

Tom K, how was the trip across the border?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Re: The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Post by tyang »

Well this was the weather condition this morning, but we're all safe in MD with three cars lines up ready to go tomorrow morning.

My 330 America is running well, but the mechanical pump doesn't seem to want to push fuel on its own. I'm going to have to rely on the electric pump for the whole trip down and back. Hmmmm.

Tom
Attachments
snowy Ferrari
snowy Ferrari
Cav10_2.jpg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 12650 times
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom K, how was the trip across the border?
Tom K should tell the story, but he breezed through!

Tom Y
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

tyang wrote:Well this was the weather condition this morning, but we're all safe in MD with three cars lines up ready to go tomorrow morning.

My 330 America is running well, but the mechanical pump doesn't seem to want to push fuel on its own. I'm going to have to rely on the electric pump for the whole trip down and back. Hmmmm.

Tom

Your car has been hanging out with my car too much. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
lashss

Post by lashss »

Tom, good to see you again today. Good luck to you and Rich on your ride down to Cav.

Bravo on driving your car too!

Thanks,
Lashdeep
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:Well this was the weather condition this morning, but we're all safe in MD with three cars lines up ready to go tomorrow morning.

Tom,

"The best seacaptans are standing on the quay".
To drive a vintage Ferrari it is not a luxery to have a spare Fispafuelpump in the back.
the funtion of the pump is strongly influenze by the change from hot into cold IMO
Most of us has removed the blind in front of the radiator.-- including me---( during holydays in the highlands of Spain)
the engine oil and water temp do not get the right operation temperatur in winter.
the carbs. are" protesting" and making strange noises,at higher speed
So place a piece of tempory paper -or something like that- in the grill .
and everything will be OK.

Bon voyage

C.
tyang

Post by tyang »

lashss wrote:Tom, good to see you again today. Good luck to you and Rich on your ride down to Cav.

Bravo on driving your car too!

Thanks,
Lashdeep
Hi Lashdeep,

Good to see you at Radcliffe Motorcars as well! I'm sorry we didn't get to spend more time with you guys, but I was anxious to get moving.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

buurman wrote:

Tom,

"The best seacaptans are standing on the quay".
To drive a vintage Ferrari it is not a luxery to have a spare Fispafuelpump in the back.
the funtion of the pump is strongly influenze by the change from hot into cold IMO
Most of us has removed the blind in front of the radiator.-- including me---( during holydays in the highlands of Spain)
the engine oil and water temp do not get the right operation temperatur in winter.
the carbs. are" protesting" and making strange noises,at higher speed
So place a piece of tempory paper -or something like that- in the grill .
and everything will be OK.

Bon voyage

C.
I spent a restless night thinking over the possibilities of my fuel system and how to make a roadside repair if my electrical pump fails!

I wish it were as simple as a cold engine. It was relatively warm (50s) for the car, and I was driving the car to Mark's house when the car started to sputter and spit. Once I powered up the electric pump, the spitting and popping went away. There could be a small leak in the mechanical pump diaphragm. I was thinking it could be the stroke of the fuel pump push rod, but I've driven this car several hundred miles without a problem, and this recent problem seems to be getting progressively worse. I'm going to see if anyone has a rebuild kit in FLA. If anyone is reading this, and has one, bring it to Cavallino!

We have a 525 mile trip to make today on my electric fuel pump alone. Wish us luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Tom,
The easiest way to stop the leak in the diasphragma is to close the circuit on one side at the filter.
thats better than laying on the ground at the pump.
I made such a "repair" on the brakingsystem on the backside. to place a ballpoint ball in the braking system.
you can do this on the fispafuel Filter side too. so the electric pump can build up pressure in the floating chambers.
Simple and cleaver.

Only a few miles of expierance in old Ferrari's

C.
BT

Post by BT »

Tom, I would suggest calling Tim Stanford from Fort Lauderdale at 954-764-7824 (that's the number I have for him anyways). He is the guru in south Florida for vintage Ferrari repairs. I am sure he is coming up for Cavallino, and he / you are welcome to use the lift in my garage if he can come over after the track day (or some other thing he might be up in our area for).

What's that white stuff all over the car on the trailer?

Sunny and 75 in Florida!
BT
1967 Ginetta G20
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Can't wait to see you guys and hear the stories.

Tom, I found the electric pump on my 330 to be very robust so do not worry.

Good luck and God speed!

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Yale

Post by Yale »

My electric pump alone could not keep the car going at higher speeds, hard cornering, or on steep hills.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

when you get to Georgia, let Dempsey go in front with his special tow-hitch catcher . . . . . :shock:
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is we made it to Savannah without problems. In fact, the electric fuel pump and mechanical fuel pump worked together to get us here.

The bad news is about .5 miles from my sister's house, I felt a brake caliper start sticking, and by the time I pulled into my sister's driveway, the right front caliper was completely seized. The rotor was so hot, as I parked the car, the flex hose caught fire! With several doses of powder extinguisher, the fire eventually went out, but it was one hell of an entrance at my sister's house. We're here!

I think I'm down for the count. After a couple of drinks, I've come to the conclusion that fixing the sticking front caliper and the fuel pump may not be possible. I think I'm heading to Cavallino with the rest of the guys and will try to figure out what to do with my car over the weekend. At least she'll be safe at my sister's house until I hatch a plan.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Yale

Post by Yale »

Did I say this already?

"Your car has been hanging out with my car too much. Yale"
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo