The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PSk

Re: The Road Trip to Cavallino Begins!

Post by PSk »

BTW: Tom I've just read your last update and see that you have tracked it down to this equaliser.

Good luck with the fix.
Pete
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:I know many people who have simply eliminated this unit without any problems. I did an informal survey and found Dew Motors rebuilds them and Motion Products guts them and converts them to simple tees. I'm going to try to take mine apart to see the innards, but I'm probably going to gut mine. We'll see.

Tom
Tom,
I severly doubt that the equaliser made your problem.
When the qualiser stick BOTH calipers are blocked.
this part have only one piston.
More likely is a worn / broken rubbersealring in the calipter it self ,
so oil could pass and reach the very hot parts (rotor/calipter).
For those who will come in the same situation:
NEVER,NEVER,NEVER drive on three calipters.
no problem to drive on the back or front ONLY.
This discision of three brainstorming drivers belong in the category of JUVENIL madness.

only a hobby here.

C.
tyang

Post by tyang »

This discision of three brainstorming drivers belong in the category of JUVENIL madness.
Like I said, hero or fool, you decide. When I decided to block up the whole front system once I got to North Palm Beach, just using the rears was pretty inadequate. I don't think they would have been any "safer" on the highway for that initial leg of the trip. It was my car, my risk, and my decision, and something I would never recommend someone else do with their car.

I suspected it was one stuck caliper as well, but once I put everything together, both calipers were stuck! I don't know if it was my car conspiring against me, but when I cracked the bleeder, both calipers would release. If the calipers released when pressure is relieved, it leads me to believe it's not the piston inside the caliper.

I plan to disassemble everything and start with a fresh brake system, but before I go too far, I'm going to try and find the root of the problem. But first I need to give my car a break for little while!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
treue

Post by treue »

Tom:

I'm not sure this is similar, but, here goes.

I had an 83 Rabbit. One day (the car was 6-8 years old) I was driving along and the right front caliper locked up, complete with a hot disk and smoke. I stopped, waited for a short time, then heard a clunk. The caliper released and I went on my way. This happened several more times over the succeeding months, so I took it to the dealer whose solution was to replace the caliper. The same problem recurred. In desperation, I replaced the brake fluid. I never experienced a caliper lock again. The brake fluid had never been replaced in 6-8 years. Now I try to have the brake fluid replaced every 2-4 years.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
stacyoblenes

Post by stacyoblenes »

Tom:

I recall hearing of a similar problem that had been caused by an issue with master cylinder. something about part of a seal blocking off an opening that prevented release of pressure. IIRC it was related to instalation an incorrect fitting rebuild kit which obviously isn't the case here but something to keep in mind.

Stacy
Stacy O'Blenes
Halifax, Canada
72 365 GTC/4
77 308gtb
Trachsel

Post by Trachsel »

Hi Tom,
You are right : if you open the bleeder on the calipers and the calipers release, the pistons are not blocked. Then you can unscrew the ingoing tube on the equalizer and if the caliper don’t release, the equalizer is blocked. If not, it may be the master cylinder itself. Do you have a two circle system with a tandem master ? Then one of the pistons in the master may be blocked. So you can locate the problem.
Jacques
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Tom:

Had a similar problem on my Cab, which turned out to be a sticking piston seal in the master cylinder. In my case, it was the rear brakes which were affected. Best of luck, and props to you for your perseverance in getting your car to the event.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Trachsel wrote:Hi Tom,
You are right : if you open the bleeder on the calipers and the calipers release, the pistons are not blocked. Then you can unscrew the ingoing tube on the equalizer and if the caliper don’t release, the equalizer is blocked. If not, it may be the master cylinder itself. Do you have a two circle system with a tandem master ? Then one of the pistons in the master may be blocked. So you can locate the problem.
Jacques
Hi Jacques,

I have a single circuit master cylinder.

Now that I'm home, I can better diagnose the problem. At one point in FL sit in the car and press the brakes hard. Upon release, the front calipers would stick, but if he stabbed the brakes a certain way, they would release. The piston at the booster unit in the front of the car did move back and forth when the brakes were applied, but I don't know if that would indicate anything sticking.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

stacyoblenes wrote:Tom:

I recall hearing of a similar problem that had been caused by an issue with master cylinder. something about part of a seal blocking off an opening that prevented release of pressure. IIRC it was related to instalation an incorrect fitting rebuild kit which obviously isn't the case here but something to keep in mind.

Stacy
Hi Stacy,

Yes, some of the cup seals inside the rebuild kits were thicker and blocked up the port to the reservoir. I don't think this is the problem, but I'll be checking everything.

Thanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

As a pilot will tell you, any landing that you walk away from is a good landing.

So any road trip in a vintage Ferrari where the car gets home in one piece is a good trip even if it is on a trailer.
cav10_33.jpg
cav10_33.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
I'm glad that everything worked out in the end, though not optimally expense wise.

So far (knock on wood), my 330 has always gotten me home with me in the driver's seat. It's been close a couple of times and I once had to call AAA to get it to a friend's house to work on it.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

As a pilot will tell you, any landing that you walk away from is a good landing.
Agreed!

If I had to look at the bright side:
I got to use my tow rings
the car didn't burn to the ground
I learned under fire (literally) how to limp a car down the road without one caliper
I parked on the lawn at Cavallino with all the other 2+2s
my wife and kid still love me, and I them!

Life ain't that bad!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
zac

Post by zac »

Congrats Tom on getting home safely

Life is never about the destination but the adventures along the way both good and bad.

We had a great time seeing everyone, although it was a mind numbingly busy schedule out there I wouldn't have it any other way. Congrats to Tom K. And Mark for their awards and the succesful Journey( well at least I hope Tom K. Has an uneventful return to the great white north) so nice to meet all the new faces and see the old ones I only see at the Ferrari events. Still can't believe how well Scott's car was received and I hope we represented the 2+2 crowd properly, next year I plan to be back with more cars. It was a sight to see to have all the GTEs lined up on the field and for us being parked next to Alan Boe who has been a long time GTE supporter, both he and his wife are some of the truely wonderful car people.

I would like to publically thank Parker Hall, Allan Boe and Mr. John Barnes for taking the gamble on the GTEs and co featuring them. It would have been so easy to just do the SWB but they truely understand the imortance of a given car is not solely dictated by value.

What a great trip and a great community of people you have here, I hope it will continue to grow and flurish for many years to come.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

zac wrote: I would like to publically thank Parker Hall, Allan Boe and Mr. John Barnes for taking the gamble on the GTEs and co featuring them. It would have been so easy to just do the SWB but they truely understand the imortance of a given car is not solely dictated by value.

What a great trip and a great community of people you have here, I hope it will continue to grow and flurish for many years to come.

Zac
Zac
That is so TRUE of so many cars. The true importance or greatness of a car is not necessarily related to it's market price. This is the case with Ferrari 4 seaters. When I talk to very informed Ferrari people they usually understand that.
And Zac are you going to post a story of your trip across the country? I understand you drove across with a trailer. Can you post a few words and some photos?
Cheers
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
zac

Post by zac »

John, no unfortunately I was not lucky enough to drive my car or the customers cars out this year. I drove them from the shop and into the trailer but My trucker took them across the country for me and got a choice parking spot across the street from the Breakers. my trip was not nearly as exciting as Tom's just a simple plane flight

I do have pictures though
Attachments
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG (111.11 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG (137.11 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG (50.81 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
zac

Post by zac »

and a couple more for fun, one with Scott and his fancy silver plater at Mar-A-Lago and one of mine in front of the Breakers
Attachments
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG (106.74 KiB) Viewed 10325 times
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG (142.3 KiB) Viewed 10325 times