365 GT4 2+2

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

365 GT 2+2

365 GT4 2+2

Post by 365 GT 2+2 »

Hi fellow TYang.netters. Hope everyone is doing great.

Anyone have experience driving from Toronto, Canada to the U.S.? Wondering what issues there are, if any, for bringing a newly purchased car into the United States? The 2600 mile drive to the West Coast is for another story...but want to get any counsel from you all re: logistics from a legal/registration perspective?

Thanks all.
mdempsey

Re: 365 GT4 2+2

Post by mdempsey »

Tom Kizer made the trip across the border without a hitch. And that was after I had called and put him on the terrorist watch list :)
Admiral Goodwrench

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

Aha! Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places. After six months of correspondence I have finally been removed from the TSA watch list and no longer get the "extra" attention at the security check ins, and can get my boarding passes without going to the counter. I thought it had something to do with my 35 years in uniform...

Best regards,

Robert
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

365 GT 2+2 wrote:Hi fellow TYang.netters. Hope everyone is doing great.

Anyone have experience driving from Toronto, Canada to the U.S.? Wondering what issues there are, if any, for bringing a newly purchased car into the United States? The 2600 mile drive to the West Coast is for another story...but want to get any counsel from you all re: logistics from a legal/registration perspective?

Thanks all.
I went to the U.S. from Quebec in January using a borrowed truck, towing a rented trailer, hauling a 41 year-old Ferrari that never saw an emission or safety law that it could satisfy.

I had all the permission letters (truck owner registration and letter from his insurance company), the UHAUL contract, and my Ferrari registration and insurance papers as well as U.S. EPA and U.S. DOT forms to prove that I was going to bring the car back.

In the end, I didn't need anything except the registration slips and an explanation.

If you are driving your Ferrari, you will need only your passport or other appropriate identification and the registration of your car (They may not even ask for that). It's probably a good idea to let you insurance company know what you are planning and ask if you need a "rider" for the U.S.

Have a good trip.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
tyang

Post by tyang »

'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Exactly! That's why I ended up at the border with all that paperwork that I didn't need. I read all the links to the links to the links and ended up so confused that I took everything I thought I might need, which was way too much.

If you are driving across in a car that you own, it doesn't matter if it's a Ferrari or a Toyota. I crossed the U.S. / Canadian border by car 2 or 3 times a year for 35 years and never had a problem in either direction. In fact, I can't remember being asked for my registration until this last time, when I was crossing with a vehicle in tow. The C&BP agent's final question was,"You're not going to sell it are you?" When I said, "No", he said,"Have a nice trip".

My border crossing success has always been due to my policy of, No Drugs, No Guns, No Alcohol, No Tobacco, and No Lies.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Timo

Post by Timo »

Gentlemen,
I think Tom is asking if anybody here has experience of importing a car from Canada to U.S. (i.e. applicable taxes/duties, paperwork, etc...) ?
Timo
Yale

Post by Yale »

Which means you would not have a registration for the car in your name. I imported a car by boat and lived to write about it on this site. I hired a broker, who made the whole thing painless. I do have a friend, Jamie Kitman, who imported an, at the time, newish car from Canada, an Alfa Romeo Montreal which was not imported into the US at that time. He split the cost with a few friends and the car was siezed at the boarder, the whole thing cost the three friends more individually that the car cost alone. It was a pretty funny story as it didn't happen to me, not available on the web as far as I can tell. So call a broker and ask them what they do and how much hassel is it, just as a learning experience in your process. It sounds like it should be so easy. Keep us posted please.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
jcwconsult

Post by jcwconsult »

Just remember that the 365 GT$ 2+2 never had a US variant.
Jim Walker
365 GT 2+2 #12451
Yale

Post by Yale »

This was what the ocean importation cost me in 1999:

Ocean freight 835 (split with another car in container)
Terminal Handling Charge 250 (split with another car in container)
Container Dray 140
Unloading Charge 100 (Horseless Carriage)
Custom Clearance 150 (Bill's bill)
EPA & DOT Forms 50
Single Entry bond 135
Merchandising Processing Fee 56.70
Harbor Maintenance 33.75
TOTAL 1750.45

Plus 2.5% customs duty.

And quite a bit of this won't apply to you. Bill was the broker I used.

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
brettski

Post by brettski »

it's a complete non-issue...the car is 25 + years old and that's that matters for US importation...period.
i had a customer do it with the exact same model in September...went from Toronto to Des Moine.
be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 1 hour at the boarder.
now registration could be slightly more complicated, depending on the State, with some cars/years...
but not with a 35 year old car...not even in California.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Well it's all about registration, at least in NY. When I went to register I had to show paperwork for the legal importation of the car.
I paid the broker this much: Custom Clearance 150 (Bill's bill)
I needed these forms: EPA & DOT Forms 50
And had to show that I had paid the US duty: 2.5% customs duty.
And then there was also state tax I paid when I registered. So basically I paid the broker $200 to fill out forms and make sure I had the right ones and deal with all the ocean freight issues which don't apply in this case. As such he dealt with the value of the car in terms of the duty paid and gave me all the correct forms properly filled out and I just took them to the DOT in NY.

I have acted as my own broker for some airfreight in the past and it wasn't fun. Of course all the ports (including airports) were Mafia run at the time so they discouraged an individual from doing anything himself.

Anyway, I am sure it can be very easy....or not.
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
brettski

Post by brettski »

ya Yale...i guess i was taking for granted that it had been in the US before and had a US Vin #...
most older Canadian Ferrari's have been at one point or another and the one in question definitely has.
it has a US Vin # and a Vigirnia Title issued in ' 03...with these it would be a slick as shit through a goose...
and as a ' 73, even Cali couldn't reject 'her'...

brett