330 GTC emergency hood release cable

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

5speed

330 GTC emergency hood release cable

Post by 5speed »

I bought a 330 GTC in Nov 2009 so I am still learning things about the car. I have seen forum notes that there is an emergency hood release cable but I cannot find one in my car. Where would this cable be accessable to open the hood if the primary cable fails. My primary cable works OK but I would like to make sure the emergency cable works.Can anyone help me locate the emergency cable?
Timo

Re: 330 GTC emergency hood release cable

Post by Timo »

Perhaps under the dash, like in most vintage F's I've seen ?
Timo
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Under the dash to the right of the center console. Also accessible and easier to see if you remove the glove box.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Behind glovebox and towards center consul. It doesn't have the hinged handle of the main hood release, but rather, a ring on the end of the cable (as I remember).
Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

I ran in to this same problem on my car after the regular release cable broke. It is where the others are saying. If it's not there, you should check your hood release catch to see if you see a stranded cable disappearing in to the fire wall. I eventually replace the broken cable with one sourced from a garden tool repair shop based on input from folks in the forum. It's the same type of cables used in lawnmowers. I also replaced the stock spring in the hood release with one sourced from ACE hw. Same length spring, but wound with less tension so you don't have to yank so hard on the hood release which I believe was the root cause of the cable breakage after years of use.