Brakes! We don't need no stinkin brakes

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

250GT

Re: Brakes! We don't need no stinkin brakes

Post by 250GT »

TOMKIZER wrote:OK, five months is long enough to wait for another "stinking brakes" post. I'm hijacking this thread and using it to post a "purist = masochist" post. It had degraded into that anyway.

In early Saturday, July 3, during a day trip to the Quebec countryside for a family reunion, we barbequed chicken, pork, beef, and on the way home late at night, my alternator with about 100 feet of wiring. Fortunately I had my extinguisher along and even more fortunately, it worked! Six weeks later, here I am with a sore back, hands and arms all cut and scratched up, but with a 365 GT 2+2 that has a new 78 ampere Delco 12SI internally regulated alternator and a wiring system with a new (read that "no longer a fire hazard") electrical system architecture. The alternator itself is the only visible difference (noticible by judges) from the original, except the ammeter no longer waves around like the cape of a bullfighter. Even the alternator pulley, fan, and belt were reused.

Because of the electrical system architecture redesign, the all the lights are brighter, the radiator fans run faster, the alternator charges all the time (even at idle), and the high current wires that were once plentiful behind the instrument panel are 95% gone. The one that is left is circuit protected outside the passenger compartment.

After having driven it about 100 miles, I've fallen in love with it again. I seems like a 20 year newer car, although it looks the same. I documented everything, so if anyone has alternator problems. Contact me and I'll share all the schematics and sub-schematics and explain the reality of doing it in the car.

Here's the visible difference. Ignore the hose and clamp changes.

Tom Kizer

Really excelant job Tom, I like that and appreciate these improvement , because we both love to drive.
Those who cannot do this by them self are always " actuated by jealously"
to place relais inside the doors (not visible) for the PW will smile you more too.
Every thing can be rebuild back without great problems.

Cornelis