Progress on Brakes

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

volkster999

Progress on Brakes

Post by volkster999 »

Tom,
What does the inside of the equalizer look like? I'm having a hard time picturing that device in the photo doing anything helpful other than maybe having a piston between the 2 outputs to seal one off in the event of a severe leak.
Thanks,
Neil
volkster999

Re: Progress on Brakes

Post by volkster999 »

Ooops. Meant Tom or anyone!
PSk

Post by PSk »

Thus the piston inside this equaliser thing must be sticking ... surely easy fix, OR (if you must) just remove the piston.

Pete
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

The device of which you speak is a hydralic pressure booster, not an equalizer. It functions like the vacuum booster to provide higher line pressures to the front brakes. it does not equalize anything. This is one of the most misunderstood parts on Ferrairs of this era. Over the years, many cars have had these units "gutted" as seal kits were not available in the past. The cars do fine without any insides in the unit, you just have too much rear brake. However, with the availability of rebuild kits, there is no reason to ever not use this booster.
steve lapp

Post by steve lapp »

Tom:

I will kindly donate to you the braking system from my Prius if you give me your Ferrari system. The Prius system is good for 250 stops at 95 mph, that should do the trick for you.

Cheers

steve
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
330GT

Post by 330GT »

volkster999 wrote:Tom,
What does the inside of the equalizer look like? I'm having a hard time picturing that device in the photo doing anything helpful other than maybe having a piston between the 2 outputs to seal one off in the event of a severe leak.
Thanks,
Neil
Presumably the innards would be similar to the booster fitted to a PF coupe. For those, see http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB3/view ... 19&p=26136
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

DWR46 wrote:The device of which you speak is a hydralic pressure booster, not an equalizer. It functions like the vacuum booster to provide higher line pressures to the front brakes. it does not equalize anything. This is one of the most misunderstood parts on Ferrairs of this era. Over the years, many cars have had these units "gutted" as seal kits were not available in the past. The cars do fine without any insides in the unit, you just have too much rear brake. However, with the availability of rebuild kits, there is no reason to ever not use this booster.
I guess the first step is to try and disassemble by pressure booster to see what's hanging up.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
steve lapp

Post by steve lapp »

Hi Tom:

Why not put the silicone brake fluid in your system, you will never have corrosion again, and you won't need to bleed it every year to keep it fresh. Is there a good reason not to use it? I have it in three cars no problems in last 20 years!

Yes, the parts look BEAUTIFUL!

Cheers
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
tyang

Post by tyang »

steve lapp wrote:Hi Tom:

Why not put the silicone brake fluid in your system, you will never have corrosion again, and you won't need to bleed it every year to keep it fresh. Is there a good reason not to use it? I have it in three cars no problems in last 20 years!

Yes, the parts look BEAUTIFUL!

Cheers
Hi Steve,

I hear mixed opinions on Silicone. Some people like you have had no problems, while others have had swollen seals. I'm torn about the decision.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

i am sure there will be lots of EXPERTS who disagree with me, but I have used silicone fluid in non-ABS Ferraris since 1977 with zero problems. I do not take the sustem apart, just drain out the old fluid and put in the silicone. I then bleed a fair amount of silicone through to flush as much of the old fluid as is practical. I change the silicone every 10 years. Note that we do not use silicone in our vintage race cars, but for high performance street driving I am totally pleased. You will find lots of stories, but I have never had any problems that were related to the fluid. I have used it on both disc and drum braked cars.
kare

Post by kare »

I suspect the swollen seals may be a result of having been in contact with some other substance like grease. I know of one brake rebuild that went to bust because the brakes were assembled using WD40 as lubricant.

Best wishes, Kare

PS. The correct lubricant for a brake job is brake fluid, off course.
steve lapp

Post by steve lapp »

Hi Tom:

The corrosion on the exterior of the rear brake cylinder surface begs for more theorizing. Is it possible that the brake fluid was weeping ever so slowly, and once the exterior was wet with fluid, it would hygroscopically pick up moisture and the corrosion process would begin. You are as usual providing us with a most intersting story line, and all the labour of investigation is at your expense! Conventional ester(and glycol based?) brake fluid pull moisture out of the air, so even in dry storage, this problem could occur - remember those brake cylinders at the flee market - ever wondered why they are covered in corrosion?

What is the 3 mm diamter rod that sticks out of the cyclinder for, I remember not being able to figure that out when I was going through what you are!

Cheers

steve
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
Yale

Post by Yale »

DWR46 wrote:i am sure there will be lots of EXPERTS who disagree with me, but I have used silicone fluid in non-ABS Ferraris since 1977 with zero problems. I do not take the sustem apart, just drain out the old fluid and put in the silicone. I then bleed a fair amount of silicone through to flush as much of the old fluid as is practical. I change the silicone every 10 years. Note that we do not use silicone in our vintage race cars, but for high performance street driving I am totally pleased. You will find lots of stories, but I have never had any problems that were related to the fluid. I have used it on both disc and drum braked cars.

Which exact brake fluid do you use. Apparently my car uses Castrol LMA which people seem to like and is synthetic but not DOT 5. So you are using what has been called a synthetic brake fluid that IS DOT 5?

Thanks Dyke.

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
tyang

Post by tyang »

steve lapp wrote:Hi Tom:

The corrosion on the exterior of the rear brake cylinder surface begs for more theorizing. Is it possible that the brake fluid was weeping ever so slowly, and once the exterior was wet with fluid, it would hygroscopically pick up moisture and the corrosion process would begin. You are as usual providing us with a most intersting story line, and all the labour of investigation is at your expense! Conventional ester(and glycol based?) brake fluid pull moisture out of the air, so even in dry storage, this problem could occur - remember those brake cylinders at the flee market - ever wondered why they are covered in corrosion?

What is the 3 mm diamter rod that sticks out of the cyclinder for, I remember not being able to figure that out when I was going through what you are!

Cheers

steve
Hi Steve,

The more popular this website becomes, the more responsible I feel in finding the correct answers. I've found talking about this process draws out more knowledge that otherwise can easily be lost.

I've heard some theories on the 3mm rod, but would love to hear it from a qualified source.

BTW, I'm striking out on the seals for the equalizer. T Rutlands sent me one seal, but it wasn't even close. The search continues, but I'm open to suggestions.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yale wrote:
DWR46 wrote:i am sure there will be lots of EXPERTS who disagree with me, but I have used silicone fluid in non-ABS Ferraris since 1977 with zero problems. I do not take the sustem apart, just drain out the old fluid and put in the silicone. I then bleed a fair amount of silicone through to flush as much of the old fluid as is practical. I change the silicone every 10 years. Note that we do not use silicone in our vintage race cars, but for high performance street driving I am totally pleased. You will find lots of stories, but I have never had any problems that were related to the fluid. I have used it on both disc and drum braked cars.

Which exact brake fluid do you use. Apparently my car uses Castrol LMA which people seem to like and is synthetic but not DOT 5. So you are using what has been called a synthetic brake fluid that IS DOT 5?

Thanks Dyke.

Yale
I believe LMA is DOT 4. DOT 5 is specifically silicone brake fluid.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053