Tach cable

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

Tach cable

Post by Michael Bayer »

Guys: I need to lube the tach drive cable on my 330, is it easier to pull it out from the distributor end or the instrument end? Thanks in advance, M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
330GT

Re: Tach cable

Post by 330GT »

About even I think. Probably less possibility of a mess from the engine side.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

I agree with Kerry, engine side is probably safer. That way you can turn the cable end facing up and let gravity pull some lubricant down the cable. From the dash end, you'll have no room.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
kare

Post by kare »

If it is the same as in 250 - and most Fiats till 1990's or so - you can pull the cable out of core in one end only. I would take it out, apply grease and stick it back. Running stuff will not lubricate it properly and you are in for a potential mess.
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT
250GT

Post by 250GT »

tyang wrote:I agree with Kerry, engine side is probably safer. That way you can turn the cable end facing up and let gravity pull some lubricant down the cable. From the dash end, you'll have no room.

Tom
I disagree with both of those above.
Disconnect cable on motorside and TAKE OUT instrument.
That are only 2 fingernuts with brakets........... see foto below ........
Than pull out slowly instument and disconnect cable and little lamps.
this take only 10 min.
The change that you disconnect other electric cables from orther instruments is too big. by pulling out without visibility.
This can take easy a hole day to find out which what went wrong.
than visa versa.
New bulbs can be suprisely nice after 40 years.
New cable can be found in any lenght at Lancia of the 60th.

Its only a hobby here.
ciao

Cornelis
Attachments
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Thanks guys I usually use white lithum grease, agree? M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Both the tach and speedo cables can only be removed from the instrument end. Clean the cable and lube with standard grese gun grease sparingly. Do not get a large amount of grease at the instrument end as it can work its way into the instrument and get on the magnetic wheel.
250GT

Post by 250GT »

DWR46 wrote:Both the tach and speedo cables can only be removed from the instrument end. Clean the cable and lube with standard grese gun grease sparingly. Do not get a large amount of grease at the instrument end as it can work its way into the instrument and get on the magnetic wheel.
You can take it out on BOTH sides DWR 46,
I think the risk to pull out without seeing what you are doing ,can course more priblems in the JUNGGLE wiring behind the dash.
opening tachcable right from steering colomb hole in firewall see pic.

C.
Attachments
tach opening hole firewall
tach opening hole firewall
DSCF1094 (Large).jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Some of these cars don't have enough room to pull the tack without removing the tac cable first.

Of course the best way is to remove the whole cable and lubricate with grease, but he risks a whole list of "might as well while you're in theres!"

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tom: Are you talking about the WHOLE cable including the sheath? I have never seen an original factory inner cable that did not have a fitting on the instrument end that prevented the inner cable from being pulled through to the engine or gearbox. Obviously, you can remove the entire cable assembly from either end, but in my experiance, the original inner cables only can be removed from the instrument end.
tyang

Post by tyang »

DWR46 wrote:Tom: Are you talking about the WHOLE cable including the sheath? I have never seen an original factory inner cable that did not have a fitting on the instrument end that prevented the inner cable from being pulled through to the engine or gearbox. Obviously, you can remove the entire cable assembly from either end, but in my experiance, the original inner cables only can be removed from the instrument end.
Hi Dyke,

No, I meant there is sometimes not enough slack in the sheath to allow the tac to come out of the instrument cluster without first disconnecting the knurled nut at the back of the instrument. 250GT was talking about removing the tac to gain access to the cable.

If Michael wants to remove the inner cable, the safest way will be to remove the whole thing. I'm not sure if the drive ends will make the bends in the cable if the sheathing is left in-situ.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

For clarity all I planed to do was pull the inner cable, clean it and lube the darn thing, if I have to pull that from the instrument end I will likey also pull the tach end and run some WD 40 through it (w some air to push it along to clear out some of the gunk), then shove some grease in and then the greased cable, M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193