Hose Clamps for 330 GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

todaxyz

Hose Clamps for 330 GTC

Post by todaxyz »

I have some left over Cheney hose clamps from my 60's Jaguar cars and had heard that these were also used on Ferrarris. Is that true? I have a '67 330 GTC with modern style hose clamps so was wondering if the Cheney clamps would be OEM correct before attempting to swap them out.

Thanks, Tom
DWR46

Re: Hose Clamps for 330 GTC

Post by DWR46 »

I am suprised that many others did not repond to this. Yes, 330 GTC's use Cheney clamps in many locations. The easiest guide is that Cheney's were used on all connections that had to be loosened to remove the engine. Hose connections that did not need to be opened up when removing the engine used Copiglia "wind up" clamps. As to how far up in GTC production the Copiglia clamps go is another question, but the Cheney's appear to go all the way through to the end.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I was just about to respond, but Dyke beat me to it! Thanks for the tip!

Another thing to consider, DON'T THROW OUT THOSE ORIGINAL CHENEY CLAMPS! I just bought some reproduction clamps, and I'm not impressed. They don't have much clamping force before the screw begins to strip the banding.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

A careful perusal of the GTC parts book will let you figure out where Cheney clamps should be used.

An example is Tav 36, radiator group. Parts 8 and 54 are Cheney clamps, while other clamps, 6, 12 & 19, do not have Cheney as the source. Further, inspection of the drawing for those clamps (with a magnifying glass for me) shows them to look like copiglia clamps. You will also find Cheney clamps on Tav 27 and 37 among others. This is not a comprehensive list, just a quick scan on my part. Look over your engine bay and trunk and note all of the clamp locations and then look those up in the parts book. Some clamps will be shown in the body parts book, but PF doesn't list the source so you have to look at the drawing.

One note on copliglia clamps. I put a narrow screw clamp on for a few weeks to get the rubber squeezed and tight on the connection. Then I replace that clamp with the copiglia clamp. It is difficult to tighten the copiglia clamp in limited space and this way helps prevent leaks.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
todaxyz

Post by todaxyz »

Great, thanks for the advice. After seeing this, I googled copiglia clamps ferrari to see what they looked like and got all kinds of hits; many referring me to prior threads from this site, kerry's and ferrarichat. Never ceases to amaze me 1) what Google digs up 2) what info is out there already. Next time, I'll try that first!

Tom