Closer Inspection of the Brake Equalizer

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

volkster999

Closer Inspection of the Brake Equalizer

Post by volkster999 »

I vote to turn a new one. Plain old steel should be fine as long as you change the fluid, right? You can use stainless if you take pity on the next guy who might not!
steve lapp

Re: Closer Inspection of the Brake Equalizer

Post by steve lapp »

I agree, the existing cylinder lasted nearly 50 years, and with regular fluid changes, you will be about 100 years old at the next replacement! Maybe someone knows better, but the surface finish must be very good on those seal surfaces and I think tool steel will be harder and could be case hardened and ground/lapped for an excellent finish (not sure of the finish spec.). Case hardening leaves the core material tough, so part is not brittle. In any event, I thin the man stress on the part is of a compressive nature.

cheers :mrgreen:
Steve Lapp
Ontario Canada
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2002 Prius, 56 Healey 100-4, 74 BMW 2002, 330 GT 2+2 s/n 6241, 54 Dodge M152 (listed by decreasing fuel economy)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

If I have a chance to make this piece again, I would go with SS. WHen looking at the way this unit works, I can see how fluid and moisture could get trapped even with normal brake bleeding. It's the same logic of sleeving the bores of the brake calipers with SS sleeves.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
treue

Post by treue »

Tom,

Unless you can get a new part, I think making a new one would be your best bet. Plating, grinding and polishing would work, but would likely cost as much. Then, there’s the ever present specter of peeling.

Since it is not a highly stressed part, stainless would work and have the side benefit of corrosion-resistance. All tool steel would provide would be longer wearing qualities which are negated with regular (every other year or more frequently, depending on your average humidity) brake fluid changes. I told you that your problem was related to brake fluid quality, although, by the time you got the car, this valve was already doomed.

No matter what the material, the finish needs to be very good, a 3-4 microinch RMS finish which is a mirror finish. The key here is making the rough turning with a good finish before you even start polishing. This takes a machinist who selects a free machining material and knows his feeds and speeds and tool selection to prevent tearing of the metal. Otherwise, there will be grooves left that will literally “file” the seal.

BTW, 9129 is progressing at Vintage Connection with great strides towards the finish. The chassis is mostly finished and they are on the engine and transmission. I hope it is done when I return from exile.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
tyang

Post by tyang »

The latest is I'm having it made by a machinist. If it works, they'll be more available for others.

I know a lot of you have wondered what kind of shape the bore of my equalizer considering the shape of the piston. It's in pretty good shape, believe it or not. I still need to give it a quick hone to make sure, but I'm working on that next.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
kare

Post by kare »

I'd like think that with a SS piston you'll risk getting the bore correded next time water builds up. Besides why change a perfect design unless you intend to neglect it in the future too?
perry911113

Post by perry911113 »

tyang wrote:The latest is I'm having it made by a machinist. If it works, they'll be more available for others.

I know a lot of you have wondered what kind of shape the bore of my equalizer considering the shape of the piston. It's in pretty good shape, believe it or not. I still need to give it a quick hone to make sure, but I'm working on that next.

Tom
Tom,

I would see if you if can have it resleeved with brass lining. Then you never have to worry about corrosion. Done with this deal once once and for all. There are a few places around that can do the job very reasonably.

Cheers.

Peter Perry
1972 911T Coupe
1965 230SL Light Ivory
1959 MGA driver
1960 MGA project
1971 Caprice
1970 280SE Coupe
1975 Maserati Bora gone and greatly missed
1964 Morgan 4/4GT
1969 Ferrari 365GT 2+2 12223 SOLD