3787GT

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

365gtc/4

Re: 3787GT

Post by 365gtc/4 »

The whole drive train would need to be upgraded to handle the HP but it would be funny to see the faces of other GTE owners when you were out driving and gave it some gas. Wow. But seriously a period 250 engine must be found to make this beautiful car a real car again. Or put in a 330 motor to make it another 330 America. I can't understand why the guy didn't buy a basket case car to get the engine rather than f*cking up that beautiful car. Some people !!!
John
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
perry911113

Post by perry911113 »

Does anyone know who bought the car?
1972 911T Coupe
1965 230SL Light Ivory
1959 MGA driver
1960 MGA project
1971 Caprice
1970 280SE Coupe
1975 Maserati Bora gone and greatly missed
1964 Morgan 4/4GT
1969 Ferrari 365GT 2+2 12223 SOLD
Nico

Post by Nico »

I am the one that purchased the car. I am looking for an engine for it, so if anyone knows of suitable engine (250, 275, 330) available for a reasonable price please let me know.

I originally purchased the car to install a 550 Maranello motor that I already have. I was actually looking for a car that already had a V8 engine in it to convert back to a Ferrari V12 but a modern engine with modern electronics. This car is in really excellent condition, it is actually nicer then the photo's showed. So now that I have it here I am rethinking using the 550 motor as this car be so nice it would really be better served with a more original engine. If I cannot find a motor I will proceed with the 550 motor conversion. Surprisingly the 550 motor is actually dimensionally smaller then the original motor. Some basic measurements show that it should fit nicely in the same place as the 250 motor with butchering up the car. I was also planning on upgrading the transmission and rear axle to handle the additional power.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Nico,

I commend you for stepping up to the plate and saving this car.

As much as I would love for you to find a 250 engine to install in this car, I am also loving the idea of installing a modern V-12 in it. The cost and time of fabrication in a project like this could easily match the cost of a replacement columbo engine! WIth that much more power, questions about brakes and suspension will come into play.

Please keep us posted on your project.

I have some ideas on where to find a vintage V-12 engine. PM me.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Good for you Nico! I am glad to hear that it is in the hands of someone who appreciates it. It will be interesting to follow your engine saga. What Country and/or State will 3787 be living in?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

nico, you have a pm. i know of an engine.
David Hodge
Nico

Post by Nico »

Thanks for the response guys. I was really excited to do the 550 conversion as I have had the idea in my head for a while now. I have done some engine swaps before, but for me the best part is using modern fuel injection. I really like the idea of having a classic Ferrari but with 100% reliability of modern fuel injection systems. No more chokes, jets, balancing, etc... Just turn the key and it makes good power all the time. This car is really well sorted out and in fantastic shape, the car came with a 2" binder full of receipts going back to Switzerland where it was purchased new in 62. While I think it would be best to put an original type motor in the car I do not know if I am willing to spend the big money that these motors are going for. I am going to call around some more over the next few days to see what I can find, but I think it is going to end up going with the 550 motor.

I would be able to use the 550 radiator with some minor modifications. The 550 radiator with the oil cooler removed is the same width as the original. It is about 2" taller though. Placement of the oil tank is going to be the tricky part, as I am planning on moving the battery to the trunk and putting the oil tank in the place the battery is at. The 250 transmission looks almost new and shifts perfect but the additional power would surely damage it. Since the 550 uses a transaxle I cannot use it. So my plan on transmission is to use a Tremec TKO-600 with a custom adapter plate and input shaft. I am also planning on removing the steering box and idler arm and installing a power steering rack and pinion setup. My plan is to get the major work done and get the car operational again then continue to work on things like adding A/C, bigger brakes, etc...

If you guys are interested in it. Once I get started I can start a thread to update as the conversion goes on with how it works out.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Nico,

I'm sure I speak for everyone else that we would love to hear more about the process of fitting the 550 engine into the GTE!

The tremec trans is a good option, but I'm sure you'll need to switch to the hydraulic clutch set up. While you're doing that, you might as well work on the brake master and pedal assembly. SInce the GTE has floor mounted pedals, a swap over to a new pedal box wouldn't be too hard.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Nico: Let me add my thanks for saving this wonderful car! My wonder is given the vast increase of torque versus the relative unstiffness of the frame, the modest brakes and lack of front suspension stiffness, if you might not be able to utilize the edge of the engines performance envelope. Like many on this site I have had one of these 60s transmissions apart, and wonder if it might in fact then handle the power the 550 produces in the range you will actually be able to use it. As to reengineering the handling, Chuck Wray has some extensive experience reengineering an Italias suspension brakes etc that had a really powerful engine installed that overwhemed the as built mechanicals which might be relevant I wish you all the best in this project and PLEASE keep us informed, you will have a passionate following here! M
Michael J. Bayer
330GT s/n 9727
365GTC4 s/n 14943
Dino Spider s/n 1193