Cheney Clamps

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DWR46

Re: Cheney Clamps

Post by DWR46 »

John: That is the commonly used stuff today.
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings… Not sure if the finish is correct but this kit has both 5 mm and 9 mm bands and clamps. http://www.authenticclassics.com/Cotter ... 003406.htm

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tim, thanks a MILLION. That is exactly what I was looking for, the right stuff for a decent price. They carry both the 5mm type for the cylinder heads and the 9mm for the heater hoses. Perfect, thank you again.

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Tim: That is a GREAT find. Thank you for sourcing these for others ( I have five lifetimes supply, but this will help many other enthusiasts).
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I got some Cheney clamps from XK's Unlimited and they leak. What causes them leak and what is the fix? It feels like they are tight enough. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

john,
all the repro cheneys leak. only solution is to buy originals. also, the repro ones dont have all the proper numbers on the band which identifies the size per the parts manuals.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Edward 96GTS wrote:john,
all the repro cheneys leak. only solution is to buy originals. also, the repro ones dont have all the proper numbers on the band which identifies the size per the parts manuals.
Even the originals don't clamp as well as a stainless steel clamp where one can use a hex wrench or socket to tighten it. My solution is to slide the Cheney clamp on the hose and loosely tighten it a couple of inches out of the way. Then use a regular clamp to tighten the hose down as normal. After a couple of months, when the hose is bonded to the nipple, remove the regular clamp, slide the Cheney one in position and tighten it.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Pretty smart idea, Kerry.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I wanted to make a post and close the loop on this issue of repro clamps and their leaking. After months of tightening and re-tightening and stripping a few. I removed the hoses, cleaned the surfaces and applied RTV, that did it, leaks finally stopped. So, the moral of the story is apply some sealant from the get-go and the repo clamps will serve you well enough. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

seems like using the repro clamps is risky. a lot of work to make a bad product work.
original clamps are readily available and infinitely more reliable.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

On the later run of the 250 cars 1962-63, I remember seeing the wrapping band type clamps (Copiglia??) for the heater hoses and Cheney for the rest. Is this the case or were they all Cheney by that time? Thanks in advance.

john
PF Coupe
SLM

Post by SLM »

[quote="
John Vardanian wrote:On the later run of the 250 cars 1962-63, I remember seeing the wrapping band type clamps (Copiglia??) for the heater hoses and Cheney for the rest. Is this the case or were they all Cheney by that time? Thanks in advance.

john

You are correct John. Copiglia for heater and Cheney for others.Page 46 -owners manual . This also shows the orientation of the cheney clamps.

Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Steve
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

SLM wrote:[quote="
John Vardanian wrote:On the later run of the 250 cars 1962-63, I remember seeing the wrapping band type clamps (Copiglia??) for the heater hoses and Cheney for the rest. Is this the case or were they all Cheney by that time? Thanks in advance.

john

You are correct John. Copiglia for heater and Cheney for others.Page 46 -owners manual . This also shows the orientation of the cheney clamps.

Steve
Cheney also for the vacuum hoses and road draft tubes. The band type clamps also for the large fresh air hoses. White cad finishes.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
rshim1

Post by rshim1 »

In researching Cheney clamps I found that there are three different designs of these clamps used in the 50's & 60's. My information comes from what is posted on the internet on the Jaguar forums. The first design was used in the 1950's. The features of this design are; 1) The CHENEY name on the drive screw cover is is curved and stamped above the size number. 2) The size number is centered on the the axis of the drive screw. 3) Across the drive cover is stamped "AGS 605". 4) The band under the drive has a raised arrow impression. 5) The end of the tail of the band has a semi-circular notch. The second design appeared in the early 60's and the features are; 1) The CHENEY name is stamped in a straight line along the axis of the drive. 2) The is stamped below the name and denoted "No _". 3) The cover is stamped "AGS 605" like the first design. 4) The raised impression under the band is now curved. 5) the end of the band now has a "V" notch. The third design was a result of the UK adopting a new standard for clamps in Mat of 1963, "BS3628". Features of this design are; 1) The drive cover is marked with CHENEY and BS3628 along the axis of the drive screw. 2) the band has the raised impression and notch in the end the same as the second design. 3) The size is now stamped in the band below the drive, eg. 212S. I realize that this may be a bit of minutia in regard to these clamps but this is the level of detail that Jaguar people are facing for car shows. Attached are photos of the three types side by side for comparison.
cheney1.jpg
cheney1.jpg (121.71 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
chrney2.jpg
chrney2.jpg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 11300 times
250 PF Cab. SN 3783