Oil capacity

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

seamusdavis

Oil capacity

Post by seamusdavis »

Sorry I have been away for a while I have been working overseas and new baby so car has been in storage. Just about to start getting it out again so planning an oil change; couple of quick questions :

Has anyone used the vacuum extractor method for oil change on a 330 ?
What is the total oil capacity I cant seem to find it in the owners manual ?
Any oil reccomendations ?

ps anyone coming to goodwood
thanks
shaun
Seamus
65 330GT 2+2 7131
330GT

Re: Oil capacity

Post by 330GT »

Oil capacity is 11-12 quarts. Don't do what I did for the first oil change in my 330. I had a 8 quart drain pan and didn't figure it out until the oil was over-flowing on the garage floor.

I haven't used a vacuum extractor except on an inboard boat engine where that was the only reasonable to change the oil. The problem with an extractor is that it doesn't pull any of the sludge that's in the bottom of the pan. Some of that sludge will drain out with hot oil using the drain plug.

PS, page 5 in the owner's manual:
Picture2.gif
Picture2.gif (25.18 KiB) Viewed 8002 times
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
250GT

Post by 250GT »

seamusdavis wrote:Sorry I have been away for a while I have been working overseas and new baby so car has been in storage. Just about to start getting it out again so planning an oil change; couple of quick questions :

Has anyone used the vacuum extractor method for oil change on a 330 ?
What is the total oil capacity I cant seem to find it in the owners manual ?
Any oil reccomendations ?

ps anyone coming to goodwood
thanks
shaun

A vacuum extractor belongs in a Pregnany station, and should not be used on a beloved cars !

C.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Ditto the sludge. Also, I used one on my Queen. When it started sucking air only, I was suspicious because of the quantity removed. I pulled the drain plug and another 2 liters flowed out.

There is no free lunch.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Another truism is: The only way a vacuum system gets all the oil is if you stick the tube up through the drain plug hole.

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
racertodd

Post by racertodd »

The vacuum extractors are popular in the VW world (I own a Golf TDI). The main reason I don't like them is that I like to get under my car when doing an oil change which gives me a chance to poke around underneath and look for problems. Over the years I've caught oil leaks, coolant leaks, torn CV joint boots, etc when doing oil changes. Better to catch a problem early before it becomes serious.

Todd
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Shaun,

If you look at the baffles inside the oil pan, sucking the oil out from the dipstick hole would leave some oil, and definitely some heavier sludge in the bottom of the pan.

Using vacuum extractors may work better for a high production shop with unskilled labor when a stripped oil pan plug is not worth the liability.

Take your time, do it right.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
klv

Post by klv »

Hi Shaun

Hope we see you at Prescott in a couple of week's time...then the Goodwood revival I assume! Was wondering where you were - hadn't seen you around the area of late :)

Cheers

Andrew & Kelly
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
seamusdavis

Post by seamusdavis »

Guys

Thanks for all your help, sorry I have only just seen the responses as had to travel again at short notice and my work system has this site barred.

Goodwood was great last weekend, I will try and post photos. My oil change set for this weekend .

thanks again

shaun
Seamus
65 330GT 2+2 7131