working on 1747

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

250GT

working on 1747

Post by 250GT »

Tom,
Phillips screws were intoduced to the world in 1959.
These are all original you 're car
To take out the fuel tank to remove the bolts of the Houdalle ‘s is a bit premature.
the bolt cannot turn around, because they make one side flat of the head ( cyl side )
The castlenut (hexagonal) when severly rusty or round, can be removed with metinsch ? tools ( cave Splint! )
For the lower nut you must cut this new tool. you do not have enough space to the tankbulb to operate.
see pic below.
that protection metal tube is org zincplated like all other protection tubes under the car. you 're looks chromed.
sorry I forgot all the other questions.

C.
Attachments
introverschil.jpg
introverschil.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 9976 times
250GT

Re: working on 1747

Post by 250GT »

Nevertheless you can find a lot of slot screws on this car especialy the motor bay
I think the interior department was first supplied with this new screws.
the old ones must be first away.
We must be mad to make thought about this. those were the daysI
Interesting to see the THIRD sun visor this is absolutely not correct.
the driver and co pilat sunviser can de turn lateral when everything works.

C.

P.S.
I think I must retire of this side you all will become to clever !
Attachments
SLOT SCREWS in motor bay org.
SLOT SCREWS in motor bay org.
DSC00015.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 9966 times
third sun visor at pilot side
third sun visor at pilot side
1747_150.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 9965 times
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Tom, it's interesting that you mention the Philips head vs. slotted screws. I went through the same question a couple of months ago. Originally I thought that Ferrari didn't start using Philips head screws until the GTE time frame, but after querying a few folks, including Parker Hall, I came to the conclusion that Pininfarina used a mix of screws in the PF coupes. I have a lot of pictures of a Platinum winning coupe and plan of following the screw pattern on that car.

Parker mentioned the rolled edge trim washers. He looked into reproducing them at one time, but it was 10K to get the tooling done. I don't know where to find replacement ones. I found 46 on various screws on the coupe and the chrome place charged $2 each to plate them.

And yes, the wires going to the mirror light do have a short piece of chrome plated flexible conduit around them.

BTW, the gas tank in a PF coupe is pretty easy to take out as all of the nuts and bolts are easily accessible.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
kare

Post by kare »

Henry F. Phillips invented the Phillips screw in 1933 - if I recall right. The main idea was to prevent the screwdriver slipping and damaging surrounding surfaces during hand assembly. This, of course made it slowly popular among hand assembling industry, but certain groups, like boat builders still avoid using it as the head looks far from attractive.

Pozidriv was introduced sometime around 1953-55. The end of Korean war meant heavy increase in consumer demand in USA and autoindustry needed a new type of a screw that besides preventing tool slip damage also self-centers and aligns the screw driver head.

These two screw head types dominated the market for the next 30-40 years with only little or no competition. New types have recently been introduced but the main problem remains the same: the better the grip, less attractive the look.

Best wishes, Kare

PS. in Europe many of the original screw types are still in production. For one, sometime ago I bought new screws for my headlight buckets at a local hardware store and they are not only similar as found on my car, they are EXACTLY the same.

http://koti.welho.com/kpietil4/project/umpio3.jpg

PS2. don't you just love a rodent that chews wires so he can sleep in the dark?
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT

Post by 8339 »

Restoration Supply Company claims to have flush finish washers with and without the lip.
www.restorationstuff.com 1-800-306-7008

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Company
250GT

Post by 250GT »

If the sunvisors brackets look like on the picture below,
You will know why you can not turn them lateral.
Those SLOT screw will be absolutly org. on the brackets and will not move the next 1000 years.
BTW the GTE visors have a phillips screw here ,
If necesarry I can post those have also a extra nice clip: function unknown

Yes kare is righ, but those were used as said about 1959 standard in carproduction in Europe.

C.
Attachments
With rusty greetings C.
With rusty greetings C.
IMG_2812.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

OK,for the real GTE purists.

two clips, one on each side.
probebly beauty aspects ???
Phillips screw diff. to get out

C.
Attachments
IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg (31.66 KiB) Viewed 9932 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

250GT wrote:Tom,
Phillips screws were intoduced to the world in 1959.
These are all original you 're car
To take out the fuel tank to remove the bolts of the Houdalle ‘s is a bit premature.
the bolt cannot turn around, because they make one side flat of the head ( cyl side )
The castlenut (hexagonal) when severly rusty or round, can be removed with metinsch ? tools ( cave Splint! )
For the lower nut you must cut this new tool. you do not have enough space to the tankbulb to operate.
see pic below.
that protection metal tube is org zincplated like all other protection tubes under the car. you 're looks chromed.
sorry I forgot all the other questions.

C.
Hi Cornelis,

The problem is only an open wrench will fit on the castle nut hidden behind the shock body, and the mount is welded too close to the oval frame tube to get the closed end of the socket onto the nut. The t-shape of the gas tank gives very little room to run the wrench so I'll probably bend a wrench to clear the bottom of the tank.

Although the tank should come out with relative ease since we took it out last year for cleaning and sealing, it's not something I want to do!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

I think we've established that both Phillips and Flat bladed screws were used on these cars. Thanks everyone.

The washers are a little different. The washers most suppliers sell as Richard pointed out, are not exactly correct if we're spitting hairs. The original lips on the washers were very thin and either variety of washer currently available are not an exact match. I've seen many restored cars with modern replacements, matching all the washers with new ones.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

250GT wrote:Nevertheless you can find a lot of slot screws on this car especialy the motor bay
I think the interior department was first supplied with this new screws.
the old ones must be first away.
We must be mad to make thought about this. those were the daysI
Interesting to see the THIRD sun visor this is absolutely not correct.
the driver and co pilat sunviser can de turn lateral when everything works.

C.

P.S.
I think I must retire of this side you all will become to clever !
Hi Cornelis,

I believe collectively we'll become even smarter than the judges at the shows! Thanks for everyone's input.

The third visor is interesting. I agree with it's redundancy, but I'll have to take a closer look. It is trimmed in identical material to the other visors, and stitched in the same manner. I'll take some detail pictures of it next week.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Is there more to tell about sunvisors?
Yes a lot.
Serie 1 Pf coupe's have no pins and hooks on the right and left side of the illluminated mirror see pics.
Ferrari upgraded the serie 2 cars probebly to get ride of those vibration parts.
Cars with the bigger gloves boxes ALSO have a huge B.O.M lipstickmirror. very nice detailing and very rare.
as always some pics for the interested people.
If this was an option I dont know ,to put a radio there is no place.
But why placing a radio which cannnot be heard during driving?
PB judges are asked for there status, not of there knowledge.
but so what, I am more interested how the set-up of a car is and handle.
Most 100% restaurated cars drives terrible and knowbody understands.
I never visiting those show , it boring for me

Just my opinion

Cornelis
Attachments
NO RADIO PLACE BID GLOVEBOX
NO RADIO PLACE BID GLOVEBOX
407975.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
WITH AND WITHOUT PINS
WITH AND WITHOUT PINS
IMG_2779.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 9877 times
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Third picture

C.
Attachments
rare , very nice detailing labor of PF
rare , very nice detailing labor of PF
IMG_2783.jpg (43.57 KiB) Viewed 9871 times
tyang

Post by tyang »

Cornelis,

I generally agree with you on the show circuit, but I enjoy showing a car like this to the public with such original details. What you're doing here is fantastic, and is the same thing we're going to do in person for the next FCA event. The flood of misinformed judges at these shows comes from misinformation being spread among those not willing to learn and inspect the original cars. I am still a student at all this, but I'm willing to learn and share information.

Speaking of knowing how these cars drive, I was hired to inspect a GTE recently for sale. The seller owned the car for 10 years and put about 2K miles on the car. As soon as I got in for test drive, I found I could not get full travel on the throttle linkage. I managed to take the car for a drive to see how the car handled and stopped, but was not able to test the strength of the engine. After opening the hood, I found the levers on the throttle shaft incorrectly set up causing half throttle with the accelerator pressed to the floor! The owner probably never got the engine to rev past 4000 rpm, and never knew it! What a shame.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hey Cornelis,

Another question, what is the grab handle made of on your car? 1747 has a weaved cloth material. Do you think this is original? How about you Kerry? What do you have?

Thanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
kare

Post by kare »

250GT wrote:If this was an option I dont know ,to put a radio there is no place.
But why placing a radio which cannnot be heard during driving?
Your picture shows dash of 0943/GT, it is the only one I know with radio deleted in favor of an extra long glove box. FWIW, you can listen top the radio while the mrs is shopping. Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT