stupid is as stupid does

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

sam231

stupid is as stupid does

Post by sam231 »

Stupid is as stupid does

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That line from Forrest Gump is very apt today in Ferrari circles. On Saturday I joined a friend and his 330 America for a drive down 95 to Bridgeport, CT to the Blackhorse Garage open house. My friend was behind me as we were headed to a rest stop for a latte along the way. He said some fool was driving by in the passing lane talking and taking pictures or a movie on his cell phone when he ran into someone. No injuries we presume. Coming back from the event I was trailing my friend in the middle lane outside New Haven and as we came over a rise the traffic ahead had slowed to a crawl in the same spot it usually does every weekend. A guy in the passing lane pararllel to me was looking at my friends car, talking on his cell phone, left arm draped over the steering wheel, oblivious to his surroundings.....and plowed into an SUV that was stopped for traffic with a women and kids inside. It was if it happened in slow motion. The guy had plenty of room to stop but his mind and senses were elsewhere. Fortunately it looked as if all parties were ok. If I had been able to pull over I would have dragged him out of his car and beat him silly...and gladly taken the jail time. Imagine, an old car gives rise to 2 accidents in a 3 hour time span. Now I know why I distrust prople who have never been to a proper driving school.

For all you spotters: we don't mind the attention, but please keep your eyes on the road ahead of you and take pictures only when you have a clear opportunity to do so.
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Timo

Re: stupid is as stupid does

Post by Timo »

I'll second your frustration and if you ever want help with silly slapping of such idiots, I'm available, but only thing I dread even more than these said moron drivers with no sense of reality, is that after reading this and other similar descriptions of traffic behavior, some political hack is probably going to collect and use them to get another feather to his/her career-hat by introducing a legislation to outlaw use of " older" automobiles on public roads, as they obviously create traffic accidents :cry:
Timo
330GT

Post by 330GT »

What I hate is the gawkers that zoom up, so I pull to the middle or right lane so they can pass. Then they get alongside and slow down to look at the car. In the meantime, I've caught up to the car ahead in my lane and must either punch it to get ahead of the gawker or slow down to pull in behind them. Guess which I usually do!
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Oh, I don't know.

Several years ago, when I was driving the 330 back from Kerry's on the
freeway, three good old boys in a beat up pickup truck came close to
me on the right side and drove exactly my speed. It was hot, and
everyone had their window rolled down. The pickup truck driver
yelled at me and could clearly be heard to say:

Man, that's a really cool car.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
tyang

Post by tyang »

What's worse is when they veer into you when they are staring due to "object fixation." I'm always on the defensive when driving an old car.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

What about staying left ?
With speed limit in the US, that cannot be a problem with a 100mph car.
Here are differant rules( Germany).

C
tyang

Post by tyang »

250GT wrote:What about staying left ?
With speed limit in the US, that cannot be a problem with a 100mph car.
Here are differant rules( Germany).

C
Don't get me started about dumb American Drivers! The idiots are usually in the left lane going all too slow! It's the one time I wish we had German Police!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

My solution is shown below.
Tom Kizer
Attachments
Bumper Car.JPG
Bumper Car.JPG (146.66 KiB) Viewed 10226 times
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

and I was worried that you wouldn't have a project this winter, Tom . . . . .
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
sam231

Post by sam231 »

TOMKIZER wrote:My solution is shown below.
Tom Kizer
A new cottage industry! Well done Tom - the engineer peaks through.

When we first started our company we had an office in the cramped financial district. In the garage we had to use there was a Rolls Royce that parked in the same spot each day. He had a setup of cushioned 2/4 's mounted on a rope sling that allowed the 2x4's to hang lengthwise on each side of his car. Neat and he had no dents.
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

This reminds me of when I followed Tom Y down the highway from the first Tomyang.net gathering. If I recall, I was following Tom to cover his rear because his brake lights were being flakey. We were driving at night. Even though it was dark, the gawkers were drawn to Tom's bright red car like moths to a flame! My car with its faded blue paint was well camouflaged so the focus was on Tom's car. The gawkers would cut in between us, and race up alongside - I recall getting a bit concerned. After reading this thread, maybe I shouldn't repaint mine...

Speaking of repainting, Tom Y., could you give me a call when you have a chance?

Regards,

Art S.

Pictures:
Tom on the road (taken by my wife from the passenger seat):

Tom's and my cars:
Attachments
Tom's and my cars:
Tom's and my cars:
IMG_0989.JPG (102.3 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
IMG_0988.JPG (82.21 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
lukek

Post by lukek »

--i drive with the windows UP in the newish maserati. A couple of taunts or challenges from individuals who clearly forgot to take their Valium taught me that... it is better that way.

--The old Ferrari seems to slide by traffic unnoticed, perhaps due to the silver color.

--The 1967 Caddy convertible, on the other hand...could probably get me elected to any public office. Everyone either identifies with it, or just loves that baby blue car. Even the Prius drivers smile (this being the silicon valley Camaro).
I remember one kid on a skate board. I am gliding by, in no particular hurry, top down. When I glide to a stop....he yells:
"Dude, that is one savage Caddy !!!".

This took 10 years off me !
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.