Cooling System Part Finishes/Colors

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Grigio330GT

Cooling System Part Finishes/Colors

Post by Grigio330GT »

Folks

My car had a radiator leak, so I took it out to be refurbished. Unlike the method described in previous post, I removed it from the bottom. It was straightforward, and involved mostly getting things out of the way, including the cooling fan/motor. I had the front raised up, supported on jack stands, and then used the floor jack to lower the radiator out while my 11 year old daughter guided from the top.

In any case, while I have access with things apart, I am refinishing some parts. Two of them however have me confused.

My cooling fan motor and blade have lots of overspray one them from a previous life, and I would like to repaint them. I think the motor is supposed to be silver, but am not sure. The fan blade I assume is black?

The second issue is the water-pump inlet. It was very rusty and corroded when I removed it. I soaked it in rust removed for several weeks (yes, weeks). The result is much cleaner, but with the caked up corrosion gone, there are a few pin-hole. The part is NLA from all the usual and some not so usual sources. I can probably patch the pin holes with JB weld, but I am thinking of having a new part fabricated.

I have a cad model done, but I need to create a dwg with dimensions as well as materials and finish. The easy answer for the latter is stainless steel - but SS is generally hard to paint, and may not look correct. Does anyone have a feel for what the correct finish should be - silver paint?

As an aside, if I find a place to make them, would anyone be interested in one? The more I get made, the lower the part cost will be....

Any thoughts and suggestion are as always very appreciated!

Dave 7895
Attachments
Cad Model of Part
Cad Model of Part
Inlet-Model.JPG (7.89 KiB) Viewed 12109 times
Inlet pipe  with rust removed
Inlet pipe with rust removed
Inlet 003-2.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 12109 times
330GT

Re: Cooling System Part Finishes/Colors

Post by 330GT »

I bought that coolant pipe from McCann within the last few months. He still shows it in his online list:
26620 COOLANT PIPE, 330GT (NLA) $48.00
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Al Pezzella

Post by Al Pezzella »

cooling tube
cooling tube
SNV31118.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 11998 times
I was able to get a similar tube from Partsource, it was a bit different but with a minor mod. I was able to make it fit. As you can see I had to cut the pipe at top, add a small piece and change the angle a bit because the way it was, the flex hose on top hit the alternator. The only concern I have is that the tube is about 3/4" longer at bottom, I'm not sure if the 4 outlet flex tube that goes to radiator is going to fit, if I have to I will have to cut a section off towards the bottom. If you decide to have them made let me know as I have an extra flange that I can use off of my original pipe.

Al Pezzella
67 330 2+2 8917
Grigio330GT

Post by Grigio330GT »

Hi Kerry

You must of gotten the last one. McCann shows the price, buts also shows it as "NLA". I called last week and verified that it indeed is truly NLA. I also tried Maranello and Eurospares. Is the one you got from McCann silver painted?

Al,

As far as Partsource, that part looks a fair ways off from fitting correctly - it looks like it will extend too far towards the radiator in my car.

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Grigio330GT wrote:Hi Kerry

You must of gotten the last one. McCann shows the price, buts also shows it as "NLA". I called last week and verified that it indeed is truly NLA. I also tried Maranello and Eurospares. Is the one you got from McCann silver painted?

...Dave
It looks zinc plated, not silver painted for sure. And based on the packaging, I'm pretty sure that it is NOS.
P1020382.jpg
P1020382.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 11945 times
BTW, I had to have a similar part made for the PF coupe and found that marine repair places do this type of work all of the time.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Grigio330GT

Post by Grigio330GT »

Thanks - Thats what Ill try to get made. I'll post an update once I get a quote.

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
Al Pezzella

Post by Al Pezzella »

Dave, if you find someone to make this pipe, please let me know, even though mine might work because the distance is exactly as original, I'm just not happy with the finish and the weld seem. I'm in NJ not too far from you.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I think I've seen nickel as a finish for these pipes, but I've also seen these pipes finished in the "jet-hot" ceramic coatings inside and out which seem very nice in satin silver. Being steel, these pipes corrode pretty badly due to the electrolytic corrosion with the aluminum block. Maybe the ceramic coating will insulate the steel from this type of corrosion, but we'll have to wait and see.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Grigio330GT

Post by Grigio330GT »

Ideally I would make it out of stainless, and I will get a quote on that. But how important is having it look "original"? It's possible to have SS etched to have a dull finish, but I am not sure how close one could get it to Nickel. I thought also of getting it done in Aluminum, but the wall section of the tubing is pretty thin for that. The ceramic coating is interesting - but it will complicate sourcing, since I suspect most fabrication shops will not be familiar with it.

I'll finish the dwg this week, and start to get a feel for pricing soon after.

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
tyang

Post by tyang »

Grigio330GT wrote:Ideally I would make it out of stainless, and I will get a quote on that. But how important is having it look "original"? It's possible to have SS etched to have a dull finish, but I am not sure how close one could get it to Nickel. I thought also of getting it done in Aluminum, but the wall section of the tubing is pretty thin for that. The ceramic coating is interesting - but it will complicate sourcing, since I suspect most fabrication shops will not be familiar with it.

I'll finish the dwg this week, and start to get a feel for pricing soon after.

Dave
Hi Dave,

After fabrication, you can send it out for ceramic coating. The turn around time is a week or so. Stainless would probably be the best solution, and maybe a satin finish can be attained with simple sand blasting. If you're tying to attain a nickel finish, Stainless often looks cold. Nickel has a warm tone to it.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Grigio330GT

Post by Grigio330GT »

Kerry,

I was detailing the part drawing, and did a double take when I compared the drawing top view to my old part. The nozzle on mine is rotated by about 7 degrees from the base when viewed from the top. Could you do me a favor and see if the nozzle pipe your NOS inlet is at an angle when viewed from the top? The pics below show what I am seeing.

Thanks!

Dave
Attachments
END VIEW
END VIEW
inlet-angle 001.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 11725 times
TOP VIEW
TOP VIEW
inlet-angle 003.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 11724 times
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
David Hodge

Post by David Hodge »

I think the guy at rpm in vt makes these pipes. Search for "pipes" on ferraricraft.com website
David Hodge
Grigio330GT

Post by Grigio330GT »

David,

Thanks for the lead. I sent them an email and we'll see what they say. None of the pipes they show are exaclty what I need, but they do show a picture an engine with the needed pipe installed:

http://www.rpmvt.com/uploaded_images/Ca ... 797637.JPG

The picture also shows that the 7 degree left twist is intentional - it looks like it's to ensure plenty of clearance to the crankshaft balance mass.

Dave
Dave Michael
330 GT 7895
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Grigio330GT wrote:Kerry,

I was detailing the part drawing, and did a double take when I compared the drawing top view to my old part. The nozzle on mine is rotated by about 7 degrees from the base when viewed from the top. Could you do me a favor and see if the nozzle pipe your NOS inlet is at an angle when viewed from the top? The pics below show what I am seeing.

Thanks!

Dave
Yes, there is a definite angle.
Attachments
P1020392.JPG
P1020392.JPG (50.4 KiB) Viewed 11612 times
Regards, Kerry
kare

Post by kare »

Grigio330GT wrote:Ideally I would make it out of stainless, and I will get a quote on that.
That is pretty clever; if electrolytic corrosion kicks on, it will be biting the alloy parts of the engine and not those tubes. Best wishes, Kare
250 GT 2+2 3197/GT