Hello! Daytona velocity stack screens?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tspringer

Hello! Daytona velocity stack screens?

Post by Tspringer »

Hi!

Ive been checking this site for some time but this is my first post. Tom has done a really wonderful job on this site, its a great resource!

I just got a set of carb tops and velocity stacks for my Daytona. I may build a factory style cold air box and so I can use a modified air filter in it, but Im also interested in running screens on the stacks.

Anyone have experience getting nice, tight mesh screens fitted to these type velocity stacks? What do you guys think the risks are in driving around with screens and not a filter? I dont drive down dirt roads and the engine bay stays spotless... but im still sure some tiny dust and stuff would be ingested from time to time. Whats the real risk of serious damage?

Thanks!

Terry
fest

screen door

Post by fest »

you mean something like THESE?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6755

(only 2 tho)

my $.02 = use an air filter
look at how dirty they get
even on the nicest cars on the best roads
do you really want all that crap in the engine?
(of a Daytona, let alone a chebby)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the support!

I agree with Fest, use filters. Dirt will score your cylinder walls, and make you lose compression, along with a host of other problems. Racecars run without filters because they're designed to run one race before being rebuilt. They might look cool, but it's a high price to pay for vanity!

Tom
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

In my experience, screens are really only for preventing solid objects from falling through the carbs into the combustion chamber. Little critters like nuts and bolts seem to have a tendency to do that. Screens will not prevent dirt, dust and sand from harming the innards of your engine as described by others.

You'll need a good filter if you want to protect the engine, not just a screen. But a filter may require an airbox to house it. And contrary to popular belief, a car may actually run even better with an airbox because of specific pressure and air flow effects that happen within the box and to some degree because the airbox usually gets cold air from a duct.

But there is one thing about velocity stacks that should not be forgotten, and in my opinion it's the most important one: with or without screens, they make just about any engine sound wonderfully agressive. I suggest you visit some friends and listen to how the engines sound with and without an airbox. That may help you with making a decision right there.

"I love the sound of Webers in the morning!"

Ruedi
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

Go to http://www.pipercross.com/competition_filters.htm.
I saw one of their filters on a 3-carb Ferrari. I believe the guy told me that he had to custom fabricate the mounting bracket, but that's less work than an engine rebuild.

Please let me know where you got your stacks from as I'm looking for a set for my Daytona as well -- why hide those lovely webbers under that huge metal air cleaner!
Restoring a Ferrari is like being married to a red head -- sometimes its a hassle and sometimes it just feels good.
markl

Post by markl »

Terry,

I feel your pain! To show off those beautiful velocity stacks and hear that music or save the expensive stuff and maybe make a little more HP? Haven't decided myself. Found a couple of options for screens but nothing that is quite the right fit yet.

Bill Badurski was talking about reproducing his original competion air box for me and if I can find a couple of other takers we might be able to make it cost affective. You interested?

Same topic from last spring. http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messa ... 45194.html
Some pictures of Bill's cold air box. (middle of the thread)
http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messa ... 62761.html
Tspringer

Post by Tspringer »

I would definitely be into having some factory style cold air boxes made up. I have mentioned this to Bill as well, but no info on actually making it happen as yet. Im also going to check with some of the sites posted to see about having some filters made to fit the stacks.

I think it would probably look better and sound better using some small filters on the stacks with no airbox.... but im sure it would make more power with the airbox. The factory airboxes also look really cool.

You can see a few pictures of my car that a friend posted on his site here:

http://www.f1freaks.com/megabbs/photos/ ... albumid=36

Im going to be tackling the carb tune/stacks install project in conjunction with replacing he exhaust center section with straight pipes over the next couple of months. Right now I have '69 911S scattered all over the garage.... so when that one is back together Ill get the Daytona started.

Terry
markl

Post by markl »

Terry,

Just finishing MY 1969 S. Sounds like we have similar car tastes! The difference between driving the S and the Daytona is both amazingly different yet equally satisfying. Just need to get my Daytona back together. Wish I could figure out how to upload some images to the site to show you both cars.

I will let you know about the cold air box next week. Bill B. and I are meeting on Tuesday so I should have an answer from him by then. My idea of a perfect world would have a cold air box that could be removed in under 60 sec. so when I popped the hood I could show off the velocity stacks!

Cheers,

Mark
jsa3

Post by jsa3 »

hi
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Mark,

If you have server space (usually supplied by your ISP) you can post pictures to this forum, but you can also send me pictures and the story behind your Daytona, and I would be happy to post them to the owner's gallery.

Tom

P.S. Although it wasn't a "S," I owned '72 911T.
jsa3

Post by jsa3 »

The Inglese stacks and filters look like they would work on my 330 if I used the 2" or 2.5" height and removed the hood pad. Price looks very reasonable. I remember a couple of guys with 66-67 Pontiac GTOs
that had factory option 3x2 setups with cold air box that sealed against
the hood, which had a functional intake scoop. I don't remember if they
used individual small filters and housings for each carb or one larger filter. It sounded great and was supposed to be good for 10-15 HP.
Tspringer

Post by Tspringer »

Wow Mark, it does seem we share the same taste in cars!

My P-car is an original "S", but its not stock. I do have all the stock parts and have been careful to do nothing to it thats not bolt on... but its being setup as a lightweight track car. It has a 2.7 RS MFI engine, smart racing products full race suspension and lots of lightweight mods.... its around 2000lb.

I call the Daytona "fast" but the 911 defines "quick". The Daytona will certainly get you across the continent faster, but the 911 would eat it alive on the racetrack!

Let me know what you learn from Bill relative to making a cold airbox. Im pretty handy when it comes to fabricating and I have lots of tools. I dont have any specs/plans or even really detailed photos. given that I want an airbox that looks as close to a factory item as possible, some specs/plans would be the ticket!

Terry

PS: Tom I can email you some pics of my car if you want to post in hte owners section, or you can grab some from the link I posted before.
markl

Post by markl »

Terry,

Talked to Bill Badurski yesterday about the Air box. No go at this point but am still working on him. He and his partner have got some screens almost finished so at the very least we can keep the bigger stuff out. If any one else out there is looking for velocity stack screens please e-mail Bill at Fcatech@comcast.net

Mark
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

If you're interested in making an airbox for the Daytona, I may know of one that can be duplicated. Maybe if there is enough interest, we can offset the price by making a couple.

Tom
markl

Post by markl »

Tom,

I know I'm interested. Just need someone with the tools and skill to fabricate one properly. Any thoughts or contacts you have would be appreciated.

Mark