GTO at the track

Post by tyang »

O.K., I'm still working on the post, but I couldn't wait to share:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe2tHGsK_6s?fs=1&hl=en_US
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Re: GTO at the track

Post by Tom Wilson »

That is way cool! Now, help me out here.. Were you in the car? I thought it only had one seat? Though there were a couple of shots from the inside...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

The back story is I was offered to drive the car, but I declined!!! (Lots of reasons: Unfamiliar track, right hand drive, wanted to record the action). Their Mechanic drove while I, in just a lap belt rode in the passenger seat! I have a 15 minute piece I cut of the whole ride, but I'd have to send it out in DVD!

It was a ride of a lifetime!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
abrent

Post by abrent »

Didn't want to drive because of Right Hand Drive.....-Wot a girl.
mark

Post by mark »

Not fair to Tom.

I've driven an old right hand drive alfetta through Paris at 3:00 am at 120 mph. No sleep for 24 hours, raining and the heater did'nt work, damned Italians! In this instance however, nobody was looking...

Driving a ~$20+ mil.( market dependent) car rhd, on a not so familiar track with folks watching is another matter. Sort of like walking down Park Ave. in your skivvies hoping nobody will notice.

Tom may go to his grave with regret, but he probably made the right decision. See you in Paris?
69 365 gt 2+2, 12659
98 M3, 02 Porsche 996
98 550 Maranello
abrent

Post by abrent »

Nope - he's a girl.
tyang

Post by tyang »

abrent wrote:Didn't want to drive because of Right Hand Drive.....-Wot a girl.
Of all the excuses, that was the lamest. I spent 6 months in Australia driving a RHD car, so I have some experience...but you what Andrew? At least this girl got a ride in a real GTO!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jim Wickstead

Post by Jim Wickstead »

Tom,

Simply fantastic! Great cars, great video (especially the in car sound track) and special people to be with. A great experience well deserved.

Well, I would have taken the GTO for a lap or two but at modest speed, just to have one of auto life's great experiences. I suspect the chance will come your way again.

Jim W.
Jimmy Chen Shiba

Post by Jimmy Chen Shiba »

What fabulous moments for you, Tom ! Well deserved for sure. You are a man of substance, indeed. w/ smiles JImmy
1969 Dino 246 GT Tipo L #0508; 1973 365 GT4 BB #17585; 1970 365 GTB4 Daytona #13745; 1966 275 GTB 3carb all alloy longnose #08191; and few others
tyang

Post by tyang »

Jimmy Chen Shiba wrote:What fabulous moments for you, Tom ! Well deserved for sure. You are a man of substance, indeed. w/ smiles JImmy
Hi Jimmy,

I've been accused of being full of something, but never substance! I guess there's always a first. Thanks!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmy Chen Shiba

Post by Jimmy Chen Shiba »

tyang wrote:
Jimmy Chen Shiba wrote:What fabulous moments for you, Tom ! Well deserved for sure. You are a man of substance, indeed. w/ smiles JImmy
Hi Jimmy,

I've been accused of being full of something, but never substance! I guess there's always a first. Thanks!

Tom
Tom, I don't know about others, but at least, the people here at tomyang.net have nothing but utmost respect. Thank You. w/ smiles Jimmy
1969 Dino 246 GT Tipo L #0508; 1973 365 GT4 BB #17585; 1970 365 GTB4 Daytona #13745; 1966 275 GTB 3carb all alloy longnose #08191; and few others
klv

Post by klv »

Tom, Tom, Tom...being too cautious I fear! I hope the chance comes your way again in the future...

I'm curious to know about noise limits/restrictions on circuits like that in the US. All the UK circuits basically run under noise limits these days (either 98 or 105 dB) and cars have to have static and drive-by noise tests and can get flagged off if they exceed the noise limit. Each circuit only has a few 'noisy' days per year. Most GTOs (for example) run the full length exhaust systems. Only Sir Anthony Bamford's 'hot rod' '64 car runs side pipes as far as I remember. How do they handle it in the US?

Andrew S
Kelly La Velle & Andrew Stevens
sam231

Post by sam231 »

Tom,

You the man! It sounds so much better than my C/4 did @ Road America. Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us.

Andrew S.....Many tracks in the US do have noise restrictions too. Lime Rock comes to mind. Although built in an old gravel pit in the far northwestern corner of Connecticut, the area around it developed over the years and to race there un-muffled is relatively rare and much desired. Sunday racing is out. I do not believe Monticello has noise issues, but I may be wrong. Recently built, it is located away from large population areas in an old farming community.

Sam
'72 365 GTC/4 # 14953; ex-owner 330 GT 2+2 # 8025 :>(
tyang

Post by tyang »

klv wrote:Tom, Tom, Tom...being too cautious I fear! I hope the chance comes your way again in the future...

I'm curious to know about noise limits/restrictions on circuits like that in the US. All the UK circuits basically run under noise limits these days (either 98 or 105 dB) and cars have to have static and drive-by noise tests and can get flagged off if they exceed the noise limit. Each circuit only has a few 'noisy' days per year. Most GTOs (for example) run the full length exhaust systems. Only Sir Anthony Bamford's 'hot rod' '64 car runs side pipes as far as I remember. How do they handle it in the US?

Andrew S
Hi Andrew,

No noise restrictions at Monticello...at least not yet. The public hate track noise.

An interesting side note is the Jim's GTO is running NOS side pipes in the video. They were found in the trunk of the car when he bought the car in the late 60s!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

sam231 wrote:Tom,

You the man! It sounds so much better than my C/4 did @ Road America. Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us.

Andrew S.....Many tracks in the US do have noise restrictions too. Lime Rock comes to mind. Although built in an old gravel pit in the far northwestern corner of Connecticut, the area around it developed over the years and to race there un-muffled is relatively rare and much desired. Sunday racing is out. I do not believe Monticello has noise issues, but I may be wrong. Recently built, it is located away from large population areas in an old farming community.

Sam
Hi Sam,

I have a longer 15 minute length video I cut of the day I burned to DVD. I can mail you a copy if you're interested.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053