330 GTC Questions

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jgarman

330 GTC Questions

Post by jgarman »

I'm a long-time reader of this forum and now I'm in need of some of your collective wisdom to help me with the reassembly of a GTC that's been apart for far too long. 1) Has someone reproduced the centers of the straight-eared knock-offs? (the little discs with the embossed prancing horse.) 2) I was sure that previously I saw on this forum some information about the proper color of paint for the alloys. Now I can't find it. Does anyone have a paint code that produces an accurate silver? 3) Back in the "old days" someone used to advertise a knock-off wrench. I think these ads appeared in the Ferrari Club Bulletin. Does anyone know who this was or whether a wrench suitable for 32mm straight-eared knock-offs is still available?

Thanks very much for any help. I suspect you'll be getting more questions from me as things proceed.
tyang

Re: 330 GTC Questions

Post by tyang »

jgarman wrote:I'm a long-time reader of this forum and now I'm in need of some of your collective wisdom to help me with the reassembly of a GTC that's been apart for far too long. 1) Has someone reproduced the centers of the straight-eared knock-offs? (the little discs with the embossed prancing horse.) 2) I was sure that previously I saw on this forum some information about the proper color of paint for the alloys. Now I can't find it. Does anyone have a paint code that produces an accurate silver? 3) Back in the "old days" someone used to advertise a knock-off wrench. I think these ads appeared in the Ferrari Club Bulletin. Does anyone know who this was or whether a wrench suitable for 32mm straight-eared knock-offs is still available?

Thanks very much for any help. I suspect you'll be getting more questions from me as things proceed.
Welcome Jgarman. I'm glad you've decided to officially join!

I know a little about the differences between the bent eared RW32s, and how repros are incorrect, but not so much about the straight eared ones.

Many of the knock off tools for the RW42s will not work with the RW32 knock offs. I'd start practicing your aim with a lead hammer!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

Jgarman, The company that made the knock off tool was the Stainless Steel Brake Company. They stopped selling them due to liability concerns. I've made a bunch of these for customers and even had a post on my website on how to make them. Like the other company liability concerns stopped me from running the post. Let me see if I can email you the instructions. I've made these for two eared and three eared knock offs, both straight and curved. I use these in my business all the time.

Richard Garre
Radcliffe Motorcar Company
330GT

Post by 330GT »

jgarman wrote:...2) I was sure that previously I saw on this forum some information about the proper color of paint for the alloys. Now I can't find it. Does anyone have a paint code that produces an accurate silver? ...
See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/P ... WheelPaint
When I first bought the car, I read the paint code information somewhere and had the paint mixed. However, now I can't find the reference where I read it.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

There was guy who manufactured sucha wrecnh. It utilized a 3/4 ratchet and I bought one for my 330 gtc. Worked on both straight and bent eared spinners (I've had both the mag and the Borannis). However, the rubberized compound he uses breaks off after only a few uses. The idea is excellent, the execution just fair. He even re-coated the thing for free, tho' I paid some of the shipping. Even the second coating didn't last but a few usages. Finally i used duct tape on the thing and it's OK, but again, not great. I recommend this with reservations. Here's the info.

seaport mold Mike Kumor 419-243-1422 1215 W. Bancroft St mike@seaportmold.com Toldeo Ohio 43606

Let me know if you find something better. steve "Never enough time to do it right. Always enough time to do it over."
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I was waiting for somebody to post the GTC wheel paint, but since nobody stepped forward, I dug through my old records and here it is.

This is a correct match from 1974, before the original paint had time to "yellow" and discolor. It is a 1960 Chrysler Silver (there was only one silver that year). DuPont Lucite #3084L. I suspect that Lucite may no longer be available, but this should give any good paint store all they need to get the correct color for you.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

jgarman wrote:... 1) Has someone reproduced the centers of the straight-eared knock-offs? (the little discs with the embossed prancing horse.) ...
Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but see:
http://www.newcoproducts.com/new/ferrar ... teners.php
Ferrari 275-330 center knock off emblem for 14" wheels-very limited quantity available - Sold in sets of four for $350
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Although Newco has some very nice stuff, these centers are a little different from an original set I looked at. There's an embossed ring around the horse that seems to be missing on these. I don't know if there was a variation from set to set, but I know the original set I saw had the ring. I'll try to get some pictures of this ring this week to post on this thread.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

campy32knockoff.jpg
campy32knockoff.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 6231 times
Let's try to get to the bottom of the Campagnolo knock offs. Here's a picture of the ring around the horse I was talking about . These straight eared knock offs are from a set of RW32s from a 275GTB.
I'd be curious to see if the RW42s have a similar ring embossed around the horse?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053